Pod Your Reef

Macroalgae hitchhiker, anyone familiar with this?

steelhealr

Well...I didn't give this hitch hiker too much thought until now. As I look at it, I think it is slowly spreading over the live rock it came in on. I'm wondering if this is a 'takeover the tank' type. Is anyone familiar with what type this is? It is a leafy, dark red/maroon closely cropped growth over the LR. The pic isn't super, but, I think it's a good shot for ID. Thanks. SH

nano91.jpg

wow.

I'll have to look at my algae book tommorow at work and see if there is anything that eats that stuff (that doesn't get 10 inches and end in tang)

Hey SH, maybe it's just me, but I kinda like it. It's very colorful and has a great texture.

Hopefully it can be controlled.

I'll let you know if I find anything on it!

Rob

I would definatly take it out. I had a similar green type that took over my entire 12g nanocube which I ended up taking apart because of it. it's a real mess and b/c it's so closely cropped to the rock, impossible to get off. Either get a urchin to "borrow" because it will starve after it eats all the stuff, or take the rock out! It totally destroyed my tank, so I don't wanna see it do it to yours.

Reef'n ale...I think you hit it on the nose. I saw the same pic and think that is what is is, Peyssonnelia squamaria. Unfortunately, I get the same feeling as Tballa......if you look at the pix, you can see how much it has spread in the last month or so and I get this funny feeling that it is going to be invasive. A shame if it is, because, it probably is good for nutrient export and does have great color. I am reviewing what I can find on it and will post back. Quite a different thread, right? SH

Hey there Stealhealr, I found this information about your red seaweed/algae. Seems I have the cousin to your variety in my tank.

INFO FOUND ON HITCH HIKER FAQ: http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/pages/main_page...s/faq_algae.htm

"This is possibly Halymenia sp. or Dictyota sp. Halymenia and Dictyota are both very attractive algae that do well in reef aquaria. Fast growth of these algae may indicate high nutrient content in the tank. When dissolved nutrients are limited, they can be out-competed by other species more suited to the low nutrient environment of reef aquaria. As a note, Dictyota sp. contain some very potent anti-predation chemicals so control (if needed) of these algae may not be possible with common herbivores like tangs. Nutrient stripping (as provided by high efficiency protein skimming) is a better way to limit unwanted growth in chemically defended species."

HTH,

TrekBear

Thanks Trekbear...I checked out both Dictyota and Halymenia and both look more 'bushy' and plantlike.The growth in my tank is low, adherent and plate-like. The nutrient comment is interesting, but, I haven't had to scrape diatoms in days and all my corals are open. Let's face it...any macroalgae under good lighting, for the most part, will do well with a little bit of nitrates hangin' around. If this variety DOES contain an anti-predatory chemical, well, that would explain why no one is eating it. One thing is for sure, being a red algae, is a under the classification of Rhodacta. SH

Thanks Daemonfly..they were unable. I emailed the pix of the above to a professor who runs 'algaebase'. He initially thought is was Peysonellia, but, sent the pix to another prof who was interested in 'subtropical' algae and he wasn't sure. Believe it or not, they requested that I send samples of the algae to them overseas for examination. Can you believe this? This nano/marine stuff. SH

Will do....it does seem like it is going to be invasive. It IS pretty and I'm sure it probably is good with regards to nutrient export. It does seem to be creeping up on the acan frag. SH

is it calcerous? should be pretty easy to tell if it is brittle or not.

If you want to control it, why not run a little bit of phosban/phosguard/rowaphos ? without phosphate macros simply cannot grow - however if you do go this method and get die-off of the algae, quickly siphoning out the decaying parts would be a good idea so that if there are any toxins they do not contaminate your tank.

Thanks MadTownMax....I continuously have run SeaGel in my tank from inception (phosphate binder). I use RO/DI and my phosphate test always reads zero. However, I would never be the one to say that a '0 phosphate level' on a test kit is gospel. My usual sign of decaying water parameters are increasing diatoms/frequency to Magfloat and either my Yellow Fiji Leather closes or mushrooms half in size or hammer stays small/closed. None of that is occurring. I also have chaeto in my back sump which, one would think, would compete for nutrients. So.....who knows. SH

• 1 month later...

Update...as noted above, several 'profs' who maintain a huge algae base were unable to identify the macroalgae that is in my tank. One of the professors requested that I mail them overseas a sample of the algae (which I have done) after one of the individuals whose interest is in tropical specimens was stumped.

Unfortunately, this macro is spreading, slowly, but spreading.Simply removing the original offending piece of LR and scrubbing it won't be of much help. Seen below is what I consider to be a bad sign. Check out one of my astreas:

nano114.jpg

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Although there is no immediately urgent threat, it appears that the clock is ticking. SH

I am glad I bumped into this thread. I have a turbo that is starting to look like yours SH ( may be brothers :lol: ). I am running phosban and red gracillia in the back of my tank. I will post if I find out what it is. Good luck SH>

You don't want this in there until I have determined how badly invasive this is going to be. I'll let you know after the big boys I.D. it. It DOES look pretty and I'm sure it is helping with water quality, but, it's advancing. SH

• 2 weeks later...

Archived