Pod Your Reef

Bristleworms, The Poll

steelhealr

yellowbird53

PS, Steelhealr, how goes the refuigium, and the submersible light. I have not had time to read your main post to completion, as I started summer session...update? Thanks.

Namaste

I voted "other." There are some nereids and eunicids that are trouble, other species aren't. It's a diverse group, so it's probably worth one's while to learn to identify the different types, rather than lumping them all together.

They are fun to pet...

Leave things alone, it's called balance. Except those snails that feed on zoas. Smash them with zest.

i voted other. I usually leave them unless they get to big. I think it was the pyrimid snailes that ate coas. correct me if i am wrong.

Originally posted by steelhealr

There is new info out there on these hitchhikers. Put in your 2 cents.

What is the new info on them?

I have always had them and have not had any problems.

Bob

i think they are fine in moderation. i usually keep something that keeps there population in balance though like a six line wrasse.

a bunch of small ones are fine, but the big ones get nasty and have no problem taking out a snail or 2 now and then.

The 'new info' is that most older texts and posts recommended removing them immediately--that they ate fish and became 'enourmous'. Newer texts, including Kurtz'The Simple Guide to Mini-Reef Aquariums, state that they are safe and should be left alone. One species, Hermodice carunculata, are related to be polyp eaters and should probably be extracted in a nano reef. That's why the poll, since, many people still ask if they should remove them. Thanks. SH

Voted! I have a pseudochromis fridmani in my current tank and the only place that I've seen a bristle worm is in my fuge. IMO detrivores and a good food source for my fish.

BKtomodachi

I voted other becuase this wasnt an option:

Ignore (but recognize) their presence, until you see one. Then, proceed to scream "you bastards, get out of my tank!" and then kill it.

i have too agree with BK well said, i like the extra life yet not that type. pictures a ell or something comin out of my rocks. grabs the tweazrs and goes on the hunt lol Voter other

I have a big guy in my 25gal cube, I still havent decided if I want him gone or not. I will have to keep an eye on this thread.

• 3 weeks later...
Dragonscales

I think it all depends on what they are in the tank with, size of the bristleworm, species, etc. I wouldn't be too overzealous with turfing the poor buggers away as soon as I caught sight of one and think they can be beneficial in the right circumstances while a pest in others. They are like anything in a tank though, a watchful eye is the best way to determine if they are up to any trouble or not.

What's the point, mrabolli? Try adding something useful.

I need to get some more for my tank, as the population has taken a hit from my pet mantis. I love the small species as detritavores.

I meant you, silly-buns! :teehee:

Archived