Cultivated Reef

Remora Mod

Simms142

I posted this on RC and figured people over here might like to see also...

I just modded my remora with a maxijet 1200 and its an amazing difference. I unscrewed the 1/2'' MPTx1/2'' hose barb and replaced it with an array of PVC fittings. I took a 3/4'' inch length of 1/2 PVC and glued it into a MPTxslip adapter, then i took about an inch and a half of 1/2'' cpvc and hammered it into the glued in 1/2 PVC, it wa a tight fit but does fit. Then i worked a short length of 1/2 tubing over the CPVC and zip tied it. Then screwed it back into the Remora's 1/2 FPT fitting and reinstalled the pump. I had to run the skimmer cup all the way down before to get decent skimate, but the amount of bubbles increased by around 1/3. So i am having to raise it higher now and i just did the mod a few hours ago...i think this things gonna be awesome once it get going again. Before the mod, the bubbles wouldnt make it to the bottom of the square plate right after i cleaned the cup by about 1/4 inch. Now they are right at it after a cleaning. I can post pics if you guys need them...

I run the skimmer on the back of my fuge, so running it a little low prevents cheato from getting in the pump and seems to make no difference. I have tried different lengths and this mod clearly made a difference

• 4 weeks later...
Undertheradar

The extra length shouldnt restrict flow as far as head pressure is concerned, as even though the tube and pump are deeper, the water will also have more pressure...so the effect is negated. My cousin did a similar mod to his remora cuz the stock pump was loud...he put an eheim 1250 on the bugger...just about doubled the bubbles!

heres and update: this crap came out of my 20H with 1 GSM clown and 2 corals in one week. pump on the remora is still the mj1200. The tank is very lightly fed also. My tank has about 35 gallons water volume and a fuge in the sump. Ever since i did this mod, my cheato has basically stopped growing.

The lid 7264DSCF0716-med.JPG

i think i have said enough7264DSCF0718-med.JPG

I ran a tee from my mag9.5 return pump / heater / noisemaker and ran that through a gate valve and into my urchin. The results have been nothing short of phenominal. Also, I drilled the side of the collection cup, just below the top of the tube where skimmate comes out into the cup. I then took a piece of rigid airline tubing and bent it with a hairdryer so that it would go into the hole, then down almost to the bottom of the collection cup. I attached some airline tubing to this and ran it to a collection bucket. Now my skimmer is more efficient, *and* empties itself.

-q

*edit* I only skimmed through your post, I really need to do the same thing you did to replace the hosebarb for more flow. Great idea!

anyone else try this, seems like people on RC had some good sucess, i'd just like to hear some more positive feedback before i give it a go

why do you need more positive successes. it has been proven to be good and it will only cost you maybe 2 dollars. do it, if you dont like it go back

holyherbiness

I just installed this mod. since I could not find 1/2" cpv, I extended the length of the regular pvc. Then I took plastic tubing 1/2" and inserted it into the pvc and tied it with a zip tie.

can't tell yet. The skimmer has more water flowing through it now though. Good stuff!

• 6 months later...

*bump*

I did this mod a while back and have been very happy with it. I used a white PVC threaded adapter that went in to the female intake of the remora. Then I used some aquarium sealant to glue 1/2" clear flexible tubing to the inside of the PVC. I used a plastic hose clamp to attach the tubing to the MJ outlet.

Unfortunately, like always, the MJ suction cups failed and strained the tubing glue. I noticed the plastic tubing had pulled down from the Remora adaptor. Later I was working on the tank and the tubing fell out and started shooting water up in the air. Free Fountain!

Anyone know a better way to attach the soft flexible tubing to the white PVC?

Hey Krispy,

When I did the mod, I used 1/2" cPVC and after a bit of dremeling the inside of the cPVC, a MJ will fit nice and snug inside (no clamps or glue). I have the MJ just below the surface to give it as much head pressure as possible.

Hey Krispy,

When I did the mod, I used 1/2" cPVC and after a bit of dremeling the inside of the cPVC, a MJ will fit nice and snug inside (no clamps or glue). I have the MJ just below the surface to give it as much head pressure as possible.

hey thanks for the help 'fly. Hope Oregon is going good!

Can I find cpvc at a store or will I have to mail order it? I don't know of it at Lowes, Home Depot, or any LFS.

Hey.....

Oregon is Oregon.......but SD hopefully in a year!

Back to cPVC. Go to Home depot and in the "drinking" water section you'll find the cPVC tubing and fittings. What I did was this:

1) used 1" MPT to 1/2" PVC slip fitting...that gets screwed in the remora.

2) glue 1/2" PVC (doesn't have to be long, maybe 1-2") into the fitting.

3) 1/2" cPVC will (with a bit of hammering) slip up into 1/2 PVC.

4) dremel the inside of the cPVC until the MJ outlet snugs up in there.

You can taylor the hieght of everything so the head pressure is maximized.

Let me know, I can get you a pic of mine if you need it.

Hey.....

Oregon is Oregon.......but SD hopefully in a year!

Back to cPVC. Go to Home depot and in the "drinking" water section you'll find the cPVC tubing and fittings. What I did was this:

1) used 1" MPT to 1/2" PVC slip fitting...that gets screwed in the remora.

2) glue 1/2" PVC (doesn't have to be long, maybe 1-2") into the fitting.

3) 1/2" cPVC will (with a bit of hammering) slip up into 1/2 PVC.

4) dremel the inside of the cPVC until the MJ outlet snugs up in there.

You can taylor the hieght of everything so the head pressure is maximized.

Let me know, I can get you a pic of mine if you need it.

ok, so cpvc is just the clear flexible tubing? I might have some laying around. Otherwise it is off to HD. THanks!

No CPVC is the beige looking PVC pipe. Outside dia is different than regular PVC. It's not flexible. You'r probably thinking of vynil tubing. Home depot or pretty much any hardware store will have it.

yah I was thinking of vinyl.

I rigged up something else. I have the standard white MPT that goes in to the skimmer. I stuck a small piece of 1/2" I.D. vinyl tubing on the outside of the MJ nozzle. On that, I stuck a piece of the rigid flex tubing people use for overflow drains (spa flex? white not the blue pool stuff). That fit the MPT perfect, didn't even need glue. It was tight, I just slammed it on the table to get it in (!).

We'll see how it goes. The bore size now is bigger than my old mod I think...

Thanks for the info all!

Archived