Innovative Marine Aquariums

Macro algae problem...

HumblePie

So I have this absolutely beautiful bright purple macro algea. The problem I have is that it breaks off in small chunks and recolonizes in other parts of the tank. The algae has very fine filiments to it and cannot be harvested easily. It has started to grow on just about everything (corals, crushed coral base, glass, etc.). My tank is very stable at the moment and I don't want to tear it down to scrub the rocks with a toothbrush, etc. to get the invasive algea off. Is there a reef safe fish that I could put in my 29g nano that would eat this stuff? If you would like me to post a pic, please let me know and I will. Thanks.

Smokin-Reefer

I doubt you're going to find a fish that will eat it and live in your 29g tank. I'd bite the bullet and srub off the rocks with a toothbrush in a bucket of SW.

i would perform a test of using a toothbrush to clean the algae from other rocks. it isnt uncommon when people do this they actually cause the unwanted algae to spread faster and further than they wanted. try scrubbing it with a toothbrush on a test area to see if the algae spreads further. if you do all the areas at once you may end up causing the algae to spread even faster.

Bicolor Angel. He should do fine in a tank that size - especialy if it's long rather than squarish. Do be aware however, that Bicolor Angels have a tendency to nip at corals and feather dusters.

• 1 month later...

OK. Below is a list of items I have tried to resolve this issue. Note, this tank has been totally stable for over a year now until I purchased a small batch of Tonga rubble which brought with it this invasive macro algae.

So I had thought (and continue to think) that the main cause is excessive nutrients in the tank. The following are some things I have tried to remove the excessive nutrients and, thus, reduce the macro algae.

- chemical suppliments

- introduction of Caulerpa to a separate 10g refugium

- removal of the rocks to rubermaid tub and scrubbing then rinsing

- addition of a canister filter to remove any algae debri that breaks off.

I am now very heavily considering a live organism to try and consume the macro algae. I have included some screen shots to better illustrate the issue and see if there were any other fish, etc. that I can introduce.

With flash to see the actual color:

img_1489.jpg

img_1490.jpg

img_1491.jpg

img_1492.jpg

Any help is truly appreciated. Thanks!

jenniebutterfly

oh i have some of that, i got it from a guy on here, had to move it to my fuge because my mexican turbos were going through it like lawn mowers :) jennifer

Archived