Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

newbie to nano have a few questions. 12 gallon nano cube dx

neonnight

ok maybe more then a few questions.not to be rude but PLEASE only help if you know first hand the stye of system i am dealing it ;) (12 gallon nano cube dx) i have been out of salt for about 10 years now and miss it. i use to run a 75 gallon tank but to be honest it really took LOT of time and money to keep up with the hobbie. i have missed it ever since so i thought i would try my hand at a nano. my terminology might be a little off so please bear with me. i picked up a very clean used 12 gallon nano cube dx. tank stand and a TON of in date supplies for 80$ the lady even offered me her 2 clowns that are being housed at a local pet shop for sale. the owner of the pet shop said i can have them once my tank is up and running as long as i get my supplies from him to get the tank back up (i was going to use his shop anyway even before the deal was even offered) for now i want to stay with the stock lighting but i want to get a new pump and was wondering if upping the pump to more gph and a better brand is a good idea? came with a stock accela sp1 400 rated at 166 gph. i was looking into buying a maxi jet 900 rated at 230 Gph. but not sure if that's over kill and if it will even fit in the rear chamber. this brings up my next question. i am looking at getting 15 lbs of live rock and maybe another 5 lbs of "dry" rock to seed. with all that rock do i need to used the foam and bio balls in the rear chambers that the system comes with or is there a better option? i think thats about all for now.. thanks again for any and all help and i can excited to be getting back into the hobby.

TeflonTomDosh
ok maybe more then a few questions.not to be rude but PLEASE only help if you know first hand the stye of system i am dealing it ;) (12 gallon nano cube dx) i have been out of salt for about 10 years now and miss it. i use to run a 75 gallon tank but to be honest it really took LOT of time and money to keep up with the hobbie. i have missed it ever since so i thought i would try my hand at a nano. my terminology might be a little off so please bear with me. i picked up a very clean used 12 gallon nano cube dx. tank stand and a TON of in date supplies for 80$ the lady even offered me her 2 clowns that are being housed at a local pet shop for sale. the owner of the pet shop said i can have them once my tank is up and running as long as i get my supplies from him to get the tank back up (i was going to use his shop anyway even before the deal was even offered) for now i want to stay with the stock lighting but i want to get a new pump and was wondering if upping the pump to more gph and a better brand is a good idea? came with a stock accela sp1 400 rated at 166 gph. i was looking into buying a maxi jet 900 rated at 230 Gph. but not sure if that's over kill and if it will even fit in the rear chamber. this brings up my next question. i am looking at getting 15 lbs of live rock and maybe another 5 lbs of "dry" rock to seed. with all that rock do i need to used the foam and bio balls in the rear chambers that the system comes with or is there a better option? i think thats about all for now.. thanks again for any and all help and i can excited to be getting back into the hobby.

I have the same tank and have a maxijet 1200 and it fits fine in the rear chamber. I also have a hydor flo rotating water deflector (this) and it provides MORE THAN ENOUGH flow to where you won't need any additional powerheads inside the aquarium. I would also suggest the surface skimmer (this) so you get removal of the "oily" slick that collects on the top. I also have a media basket (mediabaskets.com) in which i run chemipure elite and purigen and filter floss. I also have upgraded the stock hood to hold 4 fans (which i wired into that switch on the top) and the lighting to ecoxotic panorama pro LEDS. To which I would suggest 3 and NOT the 2 that ecoxotic recommends to enable you to keep any coral/clam you want! Oh & :welcome:

TeflonTomDosh thanks for your reply and your name makes me laugh we call a guy at work teflon tom because his name is tom and he never gets in trouble, things tend to roll of him as if he was Teflon coated LOL . i was looking at the hydro flo and wondering how well they work. from the you tube videos they seem to work well i just didnt know if they would "shoot" water out of the tank when it rotated because the outlet hole is close to the top of the water line. i didnt realize there was room for the maxijet1200 thanks for the info do you have the pump or power head model ? my tank also came with the same skimmer so it looks like i will be using that.. do you happen to have a pic of your set up?

TeflonTomDosh
TeflonTomDosh thanks for your reply and your name makes me laugh we call a guy at work teflon tom because his name is tom and he never gets in trouble, things tend to roll of him as if he was Teflon coated LOL . i was looking at the hydro flo and wondering how well they work. from the you tube videos they seem to work well i just didnt know if they would "shoot" water out of the tank when it rotated because the outlet hole is close to the top of the water line. i didnt realize there was room for the maxijet1200 thanks for the info do you have the pump or power head model ? my tank also came with the same skimmer so it looks like i will be using that.. do you happen to have a pic of your set up?

I have the powerhead model. and my water doesn't shoot out the top, there is commotion, but that's good for o2 levels. I think I have some pics, hang on. and that's where I got my "Teflon" nickname from too. I'm always the "troublemaker" hahah

Pic of LEDs installed

7423070822_9d7c9146c0_k.jpg

Top of tank

7460798828_3d03cef65c_k.jpg

Cant find anymore for some reason. lol. There's nothing but a bunch of rock & an emerald crab & two snails in there now. My mantis died :tears: :tears:

oh snap, found these

7460795818_6285844051_k.jpg

7271371894_fb81ca1b26_k.jpg

nice setup!!! i love the lights... if your running the media basket in chamber one what do you have in the middle chamber and do you run anything in chamber 3 with the power head ? i seen where people run some of the sponge foam in there but i THINK that might be for noise reduction? it seem where most people stay clear of bio balls and the ceramic beads. i am just trying to spend my money right the first time and not end up with a bucket of wasted money and products. sorry to hear about the loss of your mantis

TeflonTomDosh
nice setup!!! i love the lights... if your running the media basket in chamber one what do you have in the middle chamber and do you run anything in chamber 3 with the power head ? i seen where people run some of the sponge foam in there but i THINK that might be for noise reduction? it seem where most people stay clear of bio balls and the ceramic beads. i am just trying to spend my money right the first time and not end up with a bucket of wasted money and products. sorry to hear about the loss of your mantis

Had a bag of carbon in there for a while, not anymore. Heater is in the same chamber as the PH. Pump isn't noisy at all.

@TeflonTomdosh

Finally get to see your tank! They're probably not current pics but better than nothing. Nice! Lovin' the LEDs. Steve's LED upgrade doesnt cover the whole tank evenly for me with the hood so close to the surface.

@neonnight

Like I said in my thread you may be able to use the 1200 with no issues if you like lots of flow and have no heat issues. The chambers in the back can be setup and many ways. Im actually leaning on taking out my skimmer and adding the mediabasket like teflontom did because it's a cheap skimmer. Only works when the water level is stable meaning I would have to add an auto top off which I havent figured out where to fit the float switch yet.

Neon-

I have had my 12g NC up and running for over 2 years now. I love the thing, but will be splitting ways with it soon. (upgrading to a 40b) The mods that I did are just the basic. upgraded return to an MJ900, installed an inTank media basket with floss, purigen, CPE. The middle chamber i put in some LR rubble and put chaeto on top of it. I took the hood off and have 2 Par38 bulbs as my lighting. I also put a Vortech MP10 on her. And those are the only mods I've done to it. I keep SPS in it without dosing. I use Red Sea Coral Pro salt mix, and absolutely love it. I was doing a 2g WC every week, but I've introduced quite a few more SPS into the system and do a 1g WC every Monday, and a 2g WC every Thursday. But this is because of the SPS in my tank. Here are a couple pictures of it a few months back.

IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0777.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions/want any other pointers!

i hate that the stand is so low to the floor. so this is a an idea i had. this puts the tank at about 5 1/2 feet just about perfect to walk up to and look. does it look tacky ? be honest i rather change my idea now then later when its full. also i see this on sale will it work for what i need its half the price of the other one and looks like its the same thing?

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/SC-Nano-Cube-...et-SCNC12MR.htm

0908122147a.jpg

TeflonTomDosh
i hate that the stand is so low to the floor. so this is a an idea i had. this puts the tank at about 5 1/2 feet just about perfect to walk up to and look. does it look tacky ? be honest i rather change my idea now then later when its full

0908122147a.jpg

LOL yes, tacky as all hell.

@chino - yeah, i made a thread then never really did much with it. I acttually have 3 tanks now (40b, 29bc and the JBJ 12) and I'll be making a thread soon when I get a stand the drilled 40b I'm going to replace the one I have now with :D

You want about 30x turnover for your tank. For a 12 gallon, that means about 360 gph.

And that stand thing isn't going to work. Either the table will collapse or it will be very unsteady. Jst place the stand on the floor.

Archived