ReefCleaners.org

GreyFox's Drilled 20Long

GreyFox

Hey all, been a little while since I've actually signed in and posted on here. Lots of fish tank stuff has happened since then. I've taken down my 40Gallon custom tank, as well as my 30g AIO acrylic tank, and moved them into a much more roomy 75 gallon tank which i had used for fresh water previously. I've had the 75g set up with marine life for about 2 years(guessing on this one), and just recently moved my corals, Fish, and Leds over to a new tank, with my old sump from the 40 gallon.

The System

It was fairly easy to set up the new tank mainly because I had all the equipment I needed from previous builds to bring this along quickly. I made a trip to my LFS(Big Al's) and purchased two 1" bulkheads to be my overflow for the tank. I was doing some research on overflow designs and decided to tie the two overflows into one skim bar at the top of the tank using pvc elbows and pipe. Here is a link to the video for which I got the idea for my Overflow.

The tank is a 20 Long which I drilled myself and then painted, and I must say I'm loving how the back looks painted black. I don't have any power heads in the tank, just the flow coming from my sump. There is about 20 pounds of live rock in the main tank, and another 20 pounds of sand, all of which was taken from my 75 gallon with about 25 gallons of water. (I'll list the live stock below along with my Corals.)

For my return pump I am using a Quiteone 3000, rated for 700gph water flow, and I have it attached to a 1" SCWD which then splits off into two U tubes back into the tank. Just having this for flow in the main tank doesn't seem to be a problem at all, with the switching currents its able to get all the water moving nicely, and my corals seem quite lively.

The sump is another 20Long tank from my previous builds. All the baffles were cut by myself and sanded down to fit perfectly into the tank. In the sump I currently have about 20-30 pounds of live rock give or take, another 10 pounds of live sand give or take, and a nice clump of chaeto to help keep things clean the natural way. For skimming I am using an Aqua Medic TurboFlotor Blue 500 with a custom maxijet 900 pump I DIY'd for the skimmer( I had to do this because the Skimmer was from Europe ). I am unsure what size tank it would be rated for but It does the job quite well in my sump. To top it all off I have your average heater and digital thermometer from my RKL

The lights you can learn all about from my Signature. Just 24 3w leds. I did compact the design of the lights for this tank as you might notice in the pictures from my old thread and now.

Summary of Parts

1-Quiteone 3000 pump to run the show

1-Aqua Medic Turboflotor blue 500 with custom maxijet 900 pump

1-Eheim Heater rated for 40 gallons or something

1-1" SCWD wave maker

2-1" bulk heads and all the needed pvc plumbing

2- 3/4-1" U tubes with nozzles to increase the water flow in the tank

1- Custom LED fixture.

Live Stock

1- Black & White Ocellaris Clownfish

1- Orange Percula Clownfish

1- Bicolour blenny

1- Six line wrasse

1- Blood shrimp

4- Hermit crabs

some random snails

40 to 50pounds live rock

30 pounds sand

Coral

Large colony of Green star polyps

small colony of green zoas

Frogspawn?

Mushrooms of different types

Some type of polyp I am unsure of .

That's the Basic idea, I want it to cover most of the live rock, if it starts to get to the sand bed then its frag time. This set up is only a week old, and the corals have only been in since monday, so hopefully they will start to come around a lot more in the coming days. The fish seem pretty complaisant with their new surroundings.

Archived