inTank Media Baskets

A dozen gallons of pico

castiel

Equipment

12 Gallon Aqua One 'Horizon' with curved front corners. Dimension: 50cm-30cm-31cm / 20"-12"x12".

2x BoostLED PAR30 lamps

2x Dymax robot LEDs (used for moonlights)

2x Koralias

1x AC70 (on its way)

Livestock

1x orange line cardinal

1x yellow coral goby

1x yellow banded pistol shrimp

1x peppermint shrimp

Random selection of snails and hermits

Scape and contents are still to be finalised, some of the current contents will go in my 17G when that is up and running. All current content is from my pair of 3G picos which were taken down due to crazing/cracking acrylic.

This is actually going to be the wife's tank so she will do with it as she wishes now it is set up.

FTS 27/05/2012 (strike up date)

IMG_20120527_201619.jpg

I took down two 3 gallon picos and combined the contents into this tank. Meh, I couldn't think of a better title ... I'll change it at some point ... and take some better photos, that blue plays havoc with my phone camera.

eddiecorrea

How bright are those dymax LEDs? I like the scape. Nice and open.

The Dymax LEDs are crap really - they came with the picos, but as the BoostLEDs aren't dimmable they provide a nice blue glow for the morning and evening.

Awesome!!!! I ha a feeling you would be upgrading from the dymax duo soon. This is a sweet tank castiel, I'll be following just like I did with your picos.

Some pics. Excuse the foil at the back, haha. That's an anti-kitten measure ...

First of all shooting RAW, so a bit blue:

DSC00292%281%29.jpgDSC00293.JPG

DSC00294%281%29.jpg

DSC00295%281%29.jpg

DSC00297%281%29.jpg

DSC00298%281%29.jpg

DSC00299%281%29.jpg

I then discovered that switching to 'Retro' mode on my camera shot as close to real life as I have ever managed before. The pics are maybe slightly more washed out than in person, but pretty close.

DSC00301.JPG

Birdsnest frag

DSC00302.JPG

This is a small piece of macro ... think my LEDs are washing it out, it was a deep red

DSC00303.JPG

Few pieces of acro

DSC00304.JPG

Larger piece of the macro ... starting to go translucent.

DSC00306.JPG

Sinulara - netting to try to get it to attach.

DSC00307.JPG

DSC00308.JPG

DSC00309.JPG

DSC00310.JPG

DSC00314.JPG

DSC00316.JPG

Next step is to get some vinyl black backing to hide that equipment, and when it arrives install the AC70, then order a StevieT media basket for it. And at some point ... full rescape.

• 2 weeks later...

My zoas don't like the new tank. Firstly a large batch of blue/silver ones on the centre rock started to melt ... now my beautiful orange ones are on their way out. I need to get the levels sorted on this tank ... tested last night and nitrate is 20 (maybe the new sand caused a mini-cycle after all) and phosphate around .25. Hopefully will manage that before they disappear altogether.

• 4 weeks later...

New addition to the tank - red sea whip/gorgonian.

IMG_20120702_144655.jpg

IMG_20120702_144706.jpg

Had polyps showing within an hour of putting it into the tank, and was fully extended that same night. Just need to watch now that it keeps getting sufficient filter food, but hopefully will do okay.

Tank is still awaiting a rescape, when I remove the large left rock for my new tank, which is still awaiting some holes drilled in it. Not much happens quickly around here =0)

sealife inc has great sea whips.. and cheap. I have 6 from there. They have the yellows in now which are not usually easy to get.

• 3 weeks later...

Not much going on with this tank ... but I did just get this:

IMG_20120719_201500.jpg

IMG_20120719_201509.jpg

Already running with some filter floss, GFO and a tiny bit of caleurpa racemosa. Oh and Hydor Theo 50W.

Latest additions:

IMG_20120714_181039.jpg

IMG_20120714_181051.jpg

IMG_20120721_095745.jpg

The beasty balana (at least I assume it is?) I picked up from a local reefer who is going to be away for weeks at a time, so wanted someone to take it who would look after it. It came from a 'rescue/bargain' tank originally so is a bit worse for wear on teh outside, but I like it nonetheless.

Nice to see this tank doing well. I was worried about what happened to the picos, but things look great.

Happens with zoas sometimes. Some don't handle change well, palys adjust better in many ways.

L

Archived