Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Stocking 12L

patback

Are their any fish typically not able to be kept in a 12 gallon tank due to swimming space that would be okay in a 12L (36x8x9). Obviously not somthing that needs turning room, or not even necessarily somthing that needs to swim far, but maybe somthing that can benefit from the extra surface space? Any suggestions at all wod be greatly appreciated. The tank will be a very open scape.

The fairy wrasse looks awesome. A definite possibility. Not too crazy on the flasher though.

Any other recommendations? Fish's aquarium size should be based in square footage and height rather than gallons :/

altolamprologus
The fairy wrasse looks awesome. A definite possibility. Not too crazy on the flasher though.

Any other recommendations? Fish's aquarium size should be based in square footage and height rather than gallons :/

Pipefish if you want a low flow system. Pink streaked wrasses, pygmy angel, possum wrasse, chromis, possible a midas blenny if you really keep up on water changes and have good filtration

Alright, so I think I have it narrowed down. My thought are....

Midas blenny (problems with my YWg? I'm a little worried)

Fairy wrasse

6 line( may want sexy shrimp in the future though )

Pair of black clowns(boring)

TRAINED red mandarin[ just bc it's pretty :wub: ] ( live aquaria says a no go with a goby. Why?)

Anyone have any input? Maybe you would forgo one of my worries from either personal experience or knowledge?

Please keep in mind, unless it is very small, this will be my only addition to my tank.

altolamprologus

A sixline would be a bad idea, just because they suddenly turn into @ssholes when they get bigger. The clowns, as you say, are boring, and would probably just sit on one spot anyway. Midas blennies are cool, but it might be too much yellow with your YWG. I don't think there would be a problem with fighting though.

Mandarins are awesome, you should get one...or two :D I think the reason why liveaquaria says no to gobies and manadrins being together is that they would compete for food. Most gobies will eat pods of the rocks, but a YWG shouldn't compete with the mandarin too much. As far as fighting, that's not a concern. Nothing really bothers mandarins.

IMO, the YWG with a mandarin and fairy wrasse would be cool. If you get a small female mandarin, it won't be too much bioload. Females stay about half the size of males and are less picky anyway. Most fairy wrasses get too big, but longfin fairies max out at 3 inches and would be fine.

A sixline would be a bad idea, just because they suddenly turn into @ssholes when they get bigger. The clowns, as you say, are boring, and would probably just sit on one spot anyway. Midas blennies are cool, but it might be too much yellow with your YWG. I don't think there would be a problem with fighting though.

Mandarins are awesome, you should get one...or two :D I think the reason why liveaquaria says no to gobies and manadrins being together is that they would compete for food. Most gobies will eat pods of the rocks, but a YWG shouldn't compete with the mandarin too much. As far as fighting, that's not a concern. Nothing really bothers mandarins.

IMO, the YWG with a mandarin and fairy wrasse would be cool. If you get a small female mandarin, it won't be too much bioload. Females stay about half the size of males and are less picky anyway. Most fairy wrasses get too big, but longfin fairies max out at 3 inches and would be fine.

So I think I've decided. Red mandarin! Alto, in your expertise, what would be better for the fish. I plan on keeping it in a breeder net for the beginning and trying the syringe and air tubing with live brine, mixing in frozen mysis, and then trying to slip a pellet or two at a time. I've heard good things with this method. My question is, should I start soon, in my established tank and then transfer it after it is eating well, or should I get the new tank first, wait a few months for it to establish itself, and then purchase?

altolamprologus
So I think I've decided. Red mandarin! Alto, in your expertise, what would be better for the fish. I plan on keeping it in a breeder net for the beginning and trying the syringe and air tubing with live brine, mixing in frozen mysis, and then trying to slip a pellet or two at a time. I've heard good things with this method. My question is, should I start soon, in my established tank and then transfer it after it is eating well, or should I get the new tank first, wait a few months for it to establish itself, and then purchase?

Wait until the new tank is established. I know waiting sucks, but the mandarin will be better off.

It sounds like you've done some research on training mandarins. I used that method on my female and had her eating frozen food the second day and flakes the 6th. Obviously it depends on the individual fish too, but that method works a million times better than trying to train it while it's loose in the tank.

Anyone care to chime in?

Nobody else has an opinion?

Wait until the new tank is established. I know waiting sucks, but the mandarin will be better off.

It sounds like you've done some research on training mandarins. I used that method on my female and had her eating frozen food the second day and flakes the 6th. Obviously it depends on the individual fish too, but that method works a million times better than trying to train it while it's loose in the tank.

Nobody else has an opinion?

Thanks. I've toyed with the idea for a while, but finally set my mind on it. Im going to research more during this long waiting period to refresh everything and see if anyone found new hints or tips.

Archived