Coral Vue Hydros

Live Rock Peroxide Dip....

buckeyes2k7

buckeyes2k7

Will a peroxide dip of my live rock cause my tank to cycle? I do not want to kill my crabs/snails/shrimp I recently added. The rocks dont have anything but deadness and algae on them right now, and I think it is affecting my my sand by turning my sand brown as well. My sand was good until I fed the emerald yesterday with a shrimp pellet......on another note...can a shrimp pellet that is a couple of years old add some crappyness to my tank? It just dawned on me that my tank was looking good until I fed the emerald yesterday...yes I ramble...but this is the end. Thanks in advance!

Dipping the rock won't help your brown sand. Plus, a peroxide dip of your live rock could affect the bacteria (your biological filter). Toss that old food, but feeding one crab shouldn't cause anything noticeable. I think something else is up.

godfathernikki

What is your sand made of? -crushed coral sand can be bad about that. Did you start running your lights longer than normal? -Long light cycles can cause excess algea. If you can post your tank params, please do. It will help with the troubleshooting.

Peroxide dip might make you cycle again if you dip all of it and kill off all the bacteria. But I agree with seabass, I don't think this will help things.

buckeyes2k7

As soon as my phone quits acting up, I will post pictures...the lights run about 12 hours..but most of the algae comes within an hour or two after the lights come on...yesterday everything was fine when I added the cuc. Fed the emerald yesterday and the shrimp..two pellets...then again today..and thats when I noticed the brownness of the sand...the rocks are something completely different though I believe.

And my sand is argonite...

buckeyes2k7

soooooo....my nitrites, nitrates and ph and sg is all good....but my ammonia is at 2.0! My ammonia has NEVER been that high even when I first started my biocube 4 years ago. Needless to say, I believe that is the majority of my problem..I do believe a nice big water change is in order...question though..will my inverts be able to survive this?

You might dose some Amquel (or equivalent) for the ammonia. However, it looks like your tank is suffering from dinoflagellates. The link contains a number of threads that discuss treatments. It's not the easiest thing to get rid of.

I'd start by shutting off your lights (leave them off for a few days), do a large water change (while siphoning out as much of it as possible). Then I'd take the water you just siphoned out, add a small amount of hydrogen peroxide to it, and brush the stuff off the rock in that water before returning to your tank. Fill your tank with new saltwater and add 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per every 10 gallons of water. In the meantime, read as many of those threads on it as possible so that you can come up with a solid treatment plan.

godfathernikki
Will the inhabitants I have in there now survive?

Id personally whip up a big batch of saltwater and start doing water changes everyday to get that ammonia lower to better your odds.

matt frizz

Hopefully it stays away. IME it's better to use a spray bottle with the H202 so you don't have to dip the entire rock.

Hopefully it stays away. IME it's better to use a spray bottle with the H202 so you don't have to dip the entire rock.

Yeah... but did you see his rock?

IMAG0411-1.jpg

holdorf333
The algae was there before the ammonia

point was you have bigger issues if you have spikes like that. but i'm sure they make a dip for that too.

brandon429

Excellent example of before and after pics I linked your thread around. My call is that is bryozoan and mixed algae communities-but no more, rock looks brand new and you preserved its biofilter.

Ammonia detected in an established nano reef is the easiest toxin to detect and control

4 sources, see if you had any

Dead animal

Overfeeding

Excessive pocketing of organics from heavy neglect

Live rock that is packed with organics in the center as a dead mass inside

(rare, but i've had live rock like that before I was using a hammer to make smaller chunks and found a rotten center)

I don't see any of that in your pics, where did ammonia come from?

The rock pics are great nice job

B

buckeyes2k7

There were no dead animals at the time of checking the ammonia, definitely no over feeding, only had a small cuc in there. My bet is that the rock was the culprit. Yesterday was the first full day of light since I dipped, not one spot of algae showed up, will monitor today with full light and no peroxide dosing.

buckeyes2k7
point was you have bigger issues if you have spikes like that. but i'm sure they make a dip for that too.

I am not going to lie, up until 2 months ago there was some neglect. Tragedy can throw you off your game in all aspects. We left for Vegas in February for 3 days, came back, and all hell broke loose in there. I think the 3 days was the final push down for it.

Archived