Coral Vue Hydros

Aquascaping guide

atoll

I did the following article sometime ago on how I go about aquascaping my reef aquariums which maybe of interest to some. So here it is reproduced and updated.

Here's how I went about building my reef structure.

First of all I make sketches of what I want to try and achieve. When I was happy with the design I try to incorporate the rock I had already together with some I buy into the design as best I can. The reefscape consists of caves and a few overhangs in my completed structure.

I then put a tarpaulin sheet on the floor close to the aquarium and used a large plastic seed tray to build my structure on it outside the tank. I used these to catch the drips which inevitably come from the rock as I work on it. This can be a messy affair and small pools of water from the rocks will result.

I choose a large rock to use as the base and drilled into it. You do need sharp drill bits and a good drill however. You can either drill right through the first base rock or stop 1/3 to 3/4 of the way through it makes little difference. I used 10mm acrylic rod so I first used a 10mm steel drill bit. If you find the steel drill bit hard going change to a bit for drilling stone or brick. The rock being wet and quite porous helps lubricate the drill bit.

Now put your next rock on top of the base one and note where the hole is in relation to the next rock. You won’t be able to get it spot on but IMO it does not matter so much. Drill right though the next rock in the approximate position noted in line of the first hole in the base rock. Note only then did I insert the acrylic rod into the base rock. Also note I did not at this point cut the acrylic rod to length.

Next I drill/reamed the second rock out from 10mm using the 11mm drill bit and simply threaded this rock over the rod and positioned it in line with my design drawing as near enough as I could. I opened the holes up to 11mm as I sometimes find the rod tight in the 10mm holes plus it gives me some room for positioning each rock on top of the next. Each rock in turn is drilled and reamed out using the 10mm and then the 11mm drill bit.

After each rock is drilled I slide it over the rock and positioned it as I wish on the one below as in line with my design or near enough. Remember to use a combination of different size and shaped rocks to create an interesting design incorporating caves and overhangs. Once the final rock is in place and I am happy with the overhaul structure I note the position of each rock in relation to the next and disassembled the structure.

To assemble the rock structure in my aquarium, I firstly take care in positioning the base rock leaving sufficient room around it for the overhangs etc which will be built. I simply take each rock in turn and threaded it over the acrylic rod. You want to ensure you don’t have too much weight on one side unless you are going to support it with another structure which in fact I did in my design. I build 2 towers making minor adjustments as I go along. You can bond each rock to the next using Epo-putty as you go along. Only when the structure was complete in the aquarium did I then cut the rod to length close to the surface of top rock with a junior hacksaw.

Finally there were some areas where you could see sections of the acrylic rod. I simply used some small pieces of Fiji or Tonga branch rock and poked them into the holes and the secured themselves by cantilevering within the structure and bonded them again using Epo-putty. These not only helped hide the rod but also created extra small ledges to put small corals and attach frags to later. You don’t want your structure to look like a Christmas tree hence the need for caves and overhangs hence the need to roughly sketch out your design first. All was completed with a few hours work.

I have done a rough sketch as suggested above. I hope it gives you some idea of what I have been talking about above. Shame I can't produce a 3D model of the reef work but I'm not tehcie enough for that . Any questions just ask.

The sketch isn't to scale or quite right as the RH reef section goes further behind the LH reef section.

BettaLifespace1000andmods035-1.jpg

Some points to add and remember.

1/ The reefscape must be an open a structure as possible to inc arches, caves and over hangs.

2/ Use as much as the existing living rock as possible.

3/ I pick new rock that would help me achieve my goals.

4/ I like tall structures as IMO this looks far better than low structures.

5/ Include areas in and on the rock for the corals to be placed.

6/ The reef has to be a reasonable distance away from the end and front glass to help facilitate its cleaning and give swimming space for the fish .

7/ The reef isn't to lean against the back glass but stand alone with the assistance of the supporting acrylic rods and bridges.

8/ The structure should not only give the fish lots of areas to swim around but also give them an illusion of a much larger tank in doing so.

9/ The whole reef structure would be in effect in 3D.

10/ last but not least, I want to ensure the whole reef didn't have the "dry stone wall" effect and be as pleasing to the eye as possible.

One of my completed reefscapes (Betta Lifespace 1000) using the above method shortly after completion and not then fully mature.

LFreef005.jpg

Another pic taken a few weeks later.

BettaLifespace1000updatepic.jpg

A couple of pic's just taken of my most recent nano aquascape. First a full tank shot showing the reefscape.

Reefscape001.jpg

A close up of the middle section of the above reefscape showing overhangs caves and ledges incorporated into the design. Noticed the blue background between the rockwork indicating how the openness of the structure.

Reefscape002.jpg

great write up! ill keep this in mind when i set up my next tank!

Cheers, I was having a few little problems with Photbucket but all sorted now.

One of the biggest mistakes I made is not spending more time to aquascape my tank and glue/arrange rocks in a more stable fashion. I love the fiji rock i got, but damn, it's a ##### attaching corals to it.

Yep time spent planning is not time wasted and the more time and thought you put into your reefscape the more it should turn out the way you would like it to be. Planning and choosing your living rock to achieve you goal is IME the way to go.

One of the biggest mistakes I made is not spending more time to aquascape my tank and glue/arrange rocks in a more stable fashion. I love the fiji rock i got, but damn, it's a ##### attaching corals to it.
  • 2 months later...

Archived