Top Shelf Aquatics

Riley's ADA 90-P Overflow

Riley007

Hi all, I've been planning this build for a while and wanted to wait a bit longer to post but have some questions and wanted to keep the answers with the thread for reference.

I've been an admirer of ADA tanks since I first started stalking the forums here at Nano-Reef. So I figured I'd start with an ADA 90-P Overflow.

http://www.adana.co.jp/en/products/na_tank...arden_overflow/

The tank arrived the last week, (pic soon) and it truly is a think of beauty. I'm sure you've heard it before but these tanks are so well made that they are pieces of art themselves, a perfect window into the reef.

What I'm planning:

ADA 90-P Overflow with a custom? Sump/Fuge TBD.

Custom stand that is in progress, ETA still TBD.

Orphek Nilus LED Fixture hanging pendant style off a pair of Giesemann Wall Brackets, (pic soon)

EchoTech MP10w, I have one for now but would like input on adding a second?

EchoTech Battery BackUp

WaveLine DC-5000 variable speed return pump, 40watts 1320GPH max flow with controller.

Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper Lite, I might upgrade to a ReefKeeper as I really would like to automated as much as possible with this tank.

Tunze Osmolator Universal, I have this as my ATO on the existing system.

2x BRS Dossing Pumps for 2 Part.

I thinks that's most of the big stuff for now.

So what I'm still undecided on is the plumbing design and flow turnover for the tank. Keeping in mind that the flow with in the tank can be handled by the one or two MP10s.. The ADA 90-P comes drilled with a single return and supply, the supply is a 35mm (approx. 3/4") while the return is a 50mm (approx. 1").

I would like to do a Durso setup and don't mind drilling another hole, so the question becomes.. Do I drill another 1" hole or make two 1.5" holes?

Thanks in advance for the help.

-r

Following. Can't help with your overflow question though

Thanks for following.

Does anyone have some suggestions regarding the overflow?

Be really careful with this. I have a 90P and AGA shop in Houston told me that the bottoms in them are tempered. It's possible that they pre-drill the tank and then temper the bottom as well.

I ended up going with a horizontal overflow on mine since the sides and back are not tempered and I got the tank used from a local reefer here.

Be really careful with this. I have a 90P and AGA shop in Houston told me that the bottoms in them are tempered. It's possible that they pre-drill the tank and then temper the bottom as well.

I ended up going with a horizontal overflow on mine since the sides and back are not tempered and I got the tank used from a local reefer here.

Thanks, I've confirmed with both the vendor and ADA that the glass isn't tempered. So other than messing up the drilling I should be ok.

Thanks, I've confirmed with both the vendor and ADA that the glass isn't tempered. So other than messing up the drilling I should be ok.

Should be good then. Must be just the undrilled versions that have the bottom tempered.

Should be good then. Must be just the undrilled versions that have the bottom tempered.

Could be, although I've seen other threads with drilled ADA tanks. Thanks for the concern though, it would really be devastating to have one of these explode!

So what I'm still undecided on is the plumbing design and flow turnover for the tank. Keeping in mind that the flow with in the tank can be handled by the one or two MP10s.. The ADA 90-P comes drilled with a single return and supply, the supply is a 35mm (approx. 3/4") while the return is a 50mm (approx. 1").

I would like to do a Durso setup and don't mind drilling another hole, so the question becomes.. Do I drill another 1" hole or make two 1.5" holes?

Thanks in advance for the help.

-r

Anyone? Advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I would do the 1" and add adaptors to 1 1/4" pvc. According to the Durso website, it is what they are doing to get that extra GPH without the bulk of 1 1/2" bulkhead and pipes.

I think the return should be 3/4" and the drain should be 1". Not really sure where the holes are on ADA tanks since I've never seen any in person.

Have you thought about doing an external Durso if the holes are on the back glass? It is a cleaner look I think with just a St Elbow inside the tank, rather than the whole standpipe

I would do the 1" and add adaptors to 1 1/4" pvc. According to the Durso website, it is what they are doing to get that extra GPH without the bulk of 1 1/2" bulkhead and pipes.

I think the return should be 3/4" and the drain should be 1". Not really sure where the holes are on ADA tanks since I've never seen any in person.

Have you thought about doing an external Durso if the holes are on the back glass? It is a cleaner look I think with just a St Elbow inside the tank, rather than the whole standpipe

Thanks, the holes are drilled in the bottom so it dosen't get much cleaner.. There is a 3/4" return and a single 1" predrilled, I'm thinking of adding a 2nd 1" for safety and silent running?

Archived