Pod Your Reef

Wizzy's 200+ Gallon Mixed Reef

Wizzy

This is my Build Thread for my 200+ gallon reef system.

I am currently in the planning phase, but I think I will have a 180 gallon DT (no canopy).

In the stand will be a 10 gallon Kriesel, 40 gallon breeder sump, ATO water container, Dosing containers/pumps (when I need them), and I am trying to build an extension/shelf that I can hide a larger tank (55+ gallons) which would act as my remote sandbed/refugium.

Please lend me suggestions and opinions on my equipment list because it is a work in progress.

• Equipment List
  • Refurbished Spectrapure 90 GPD RODI System (Got it/will post pictures)
  • Internal Protein Skimmer- I really like Reef Octopus
  • DIY Aquastyle LED's for Display- I am possible looking at a higher end setup now (crees, etc)
  • Mag 12 as Return Pump
  • 4x Korali Evolution 1400
  • Tunze Osmolator ATO
  • DIY Mesh Screen Cover- No Fish Sticks here! :lol:

• Wish List
  • Automatic Water Change System
  • DIY Carbon/GFO Reactors
  • Kalk Dosing via Peristaltic Pump (If system needs it)
  • Controller + Fancy Probes

• Fish
  • Copperband Butterfly (want)
  • Bangaii Cardinal (want a breeding pair)
  • Clownfish (want a breeding pair)
  • Mandarin Dragonet (want a breeding pair)
  • Yellow Tang (want)
  • Trio of Powder Blue Tangs (Need ;) )

• Invertebrates
  • Sexy Shrimp (may move my breeding trio of Sexy Shrimp from Nanocube into refugium area)
  • Emerald Crabs (may move two from my 12 Gallon Nanocube)

Index:

2/18/12- RODI Unit Arrives/Set Up (will become a link as soon as I post pictures)

More to Come- Wizzy :happy:

Always nice to see someone multiply their reef size by a hundred fold... Haha.

Look into Genesis Reef System for Auto Water Change, if you don't want to DIY. There's an option for integrated ATO, which will make things easier on you.

I'd second the notion for getting a full controller, such as a Reef Keeper Elite. This way you can make dimming your DIY LEDs, monitoring and controlling temp, pH, salinity, etc all come from one unit. Controlling it with the NET module (like I do) is a breeze.

• 2 weeks later...
saltwatercoral
May want to get a full on controller for a tank like that.

+1 on the controller... I have a ReefKeeper Elite with Net on my 120. You may want to look into Aqua Illumination LED lights. Either the SOL or the yet to be released Vega. I have 3 SOLs lighting my 120 (4x2x2) and it is perfect for what I need!

May want to get a full on controller for a tank like that.

Always nice to see someone multiply their reef size by a hundred fold... Haha.

Look into Genesis Reef System for Auto Water Change, if you don't want to DIY. There's an option for integrated ATO, which will make things easier on you.

I'd second the notion for getting a full controller, such as a Reef Keeper Elite. This way you can make dimming your DIY LEDs, monitoring and controlling temp, pH, salinity, etc all come from one unit. Controlling it with the NET module (like I do) is a breeze.

Lol. Ya, I love picos/nanos, but I want some larger fish. :P

+1 on the controller... I have a ReefKeeper Elite with Net on my 120. You may want to look into Aqua Illumination LED lights. Either the SOL or the yet to be released Vega. I have 3 SOLs lighting my 120 (4x2x2) and it is perfect for what I need!

Thanks for the lighting suggestion, but I will probably still go with the cheaper LED's simply because it's all I can afford.

I plan on trying to make them look nice though with some sort of acrylic cover.

Is a controller something I can add later when I have more money and is there anything it does that I can't do with a little more effort?

In other words, is a controller a nice thing to have, but not necessary?

Thanks- Wizzy :happy:

P.S. I am planning on setting up my RODI system asap and will post pictures soon :happy:

saltwatercoral

With a controller such as the Reef Keeper you can control so many variables. For instance: Say you are at work and 1 out of your 2 heaters gets stuck always on... Your temp will keep on riseing untill you notice that all you fish and corals are dead within hours... With the reekeeper you can say that when it reches a certain temp to cut one of the heaters off if the temp still rises it will cut the other heater off. When the temp falls you can have it cut one back one... You can control each power outlet in each power strip to anything you want. Its basicaly Insurance for your tank so you dont kill everything... You can also get different probs like the TEMP and the PH (those 2 are default), but you can also get a salinity prob and ORP for stray voltage as well. It can get very technical, but very efitient when done right! So eventualy when you get a good stock of everything I would def grab one!

Edit: I would say at this moment that a RO unti is a must!

With a controller such as the Reef Keeper you can control so many variables. For instance: Say you are at work and 1 out of your 2 heaters gets stuck always on... Your temp will keep on riseing untill you notice that all you fish and corals are dead within hours... With the reekeeper you can say that when it reches a certain temp to cut one of the heaters off if the temp still rises it will cut the other heater off. When the temp falls you can have it cut one back one... You can control each power outlet in each power strip to anything you want. Its basicaly Insurance for your tank so you dont kill everything... You can also get different probs like the TEMP and the PH (those 2 are default), but you can also get a salinity prob and ORP for stray voltage as well. It can get very technical, but very efitient when done right! So eventualy when you get a good stock of everything I would def grab one!

Edit: I would say at this moment that a RO unti is a must!

Wow, best sales pitch I've heard thus far about the controllers, Cheers :D .

I definitely want one now, just need the moolah :bling:

And as far as the RO unit goes I currently have my new RODI unit from Spectrapure all hooked up under my utility sink.

Only problem is that I was experiencing a bit of leaking from the chambers.

They're all tightened up now, so I'm crossing my fingers fingerscrossed

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
so what's going on with this tank build?! :huh:

+1

Don't worry guys. ;)

This tank build is still in the planning stage, but I am hoping to make some serious progress this summer.

I'll be sure to keep this thread updated as my build progresses.

Thanks- Wizzy :happy:

Wow, best sales pitch I've heard thus far about the controllers, Cheers :D .

I definitely want one now, just need the moolah :bling:

And as far as the RO unit goes I currently have my new RODI unit from Spectrapure all hooked up under my utility sink.

Only problem is that I was experiencing a bit of leaking from the chambers.

They're all tightened up now, so I'm crossing my fingers fingerscrossed

If controllers are making you go :bling: are you really sure a 120 Gallon tank is for you? I don't own a tank of that size because of the :bling: factor.

If controllers are making you go :bling: are you really sure a 120 Gallon tank is for you? I don't own a tank of that size because of the :bling: factor.

Don't worry.

I have a very good grasp of what I'm getting into: financially, time-wise, etc.

-Wizzy :happy:

EDIT-

I updated the first post with my new plans.

• 3 months later...
Red Sea Reefer

I could be wrong but I think you would need a larger sump than a 40B. If you loose power to your return pump your display will drain into the sump and I don't think you would have enough volume left to handel the drain.

Also as you want a self sustaining system with as little WC as pissible a 90 gallon refugium would be better to help you toward that goal.

LED's can be tricky with a tank that size if your going SPS predominate. T5's would be a safer choice and you can get good deals on them now.

+ 1 on the controller. I would cycle the tank but not add any coral untill you buy the controller. It's cheap insurance. Many variables for things to go wrong with a build of that size and a $500 controller can save you thousands in livestock.

Archived