Coral Vue Hydros

AquaStyle 10 Led Retrofit

ReeferReefer

I bought a 8 led kit from Aquastyle and in about a week and a half I had my DIY led kit.

They included 2 extra leds and all of them worked so I went ahead and made this a 10 led build.

First I would like to thank all the amazing people on NR who helped me with this. Particularly Trogdor and Felicia.

I have a 10 gallon ViaAqua Ar-380 tank that I am using for my first nano reef. The lighting in this AIO was a measly 11w power compact and I feared that even keeping softies might be a problem with my tall tank.

I wanted to keep the hood because I wanted to minimize evaporation on such a small tank. So I needed to retrofit my lighting into this narrow hood.

Anyways thats the story of why I did the retrofit but Ill get to the pictures now!

Here is the tank when it was cycling with the stock light

100_0030-1.jpg

Here is my old lighting in the hood,

100_0049.jpg

Now to the LEDs! Im in the middle of the build here!

100_0046.jpg

Here it is all wired up!

100_0048.jpg

The moment of truth. It will either light up or Ill fry the whole thing!

100_0050.jpg

Light!

100_0051.jpg

And for the retrofit! After cutting a bunch of plastic I got the heatsink and driver in.

100_0056.jpg

100_0055.jpg

And the final product!

100_0059.jpg

Note- This is my first time soldering, anything! Worked out pretty well though!

Seems like some condensation is building in the fixture, Im going to seal the splash guard with silicon caulking though.

How does it work with the spacing of the lights? I mean, do you get different patches of blue/white or is it all smooth sailing? I'm getting my own DIY from aquastyle any day now, really looking forward to it and wanted to figure out what pattern to put the LED's in.

P.S. Looks well nice in regard of everything else, especially the scape.

-Oskar

Thanks.

I tried it with and without optics. At my spacing the optics caused lines and a spotlight effect. Without optics the colors blend perfectly. As you can see the leds are pretty close to surface to the water. It might blend with optics if you have the lights off the water higher.

I ended up sealing the splash guard with silicon II and the condensation stopped building up inside the fixture.

Also I cut additional slits in the top of the hood for added ventilation.

Oh and the fixture is 50/50 RB and White.

Like everyone says, my point and shoot camera gets super washed out with blue. ITs actually a decent amount more white in real life.

I also have some really good shimmer with my surface agitation.

Great glad to see another great build! Looks like you took the time to do everything right as well - overall should be a very nice light, and have you turned them up to 100% yet?

I was on a bit of a budget for this tank so I went with a non dimmable build, so they are running at 100%!

I recently got a Duncan coral fray in there and the color is unreal.

Thanks for the help Trogdor! I used your guide and it was really useful.

I was on a bit of a budget for this tank so I went with a non dimmable build, so they are running at 100%!

I recently got a Duncan coral fray in there and the color is unreal.

Thanks for the help Trogdor! I used your guide and it was really useful.

:) No problem, tried covering EVERY step of the way! Its kind of hard to get pics of soldering when your at home, the gf is sleeping.. And your out drinking a few beers while putting a 40 led fixture together hehe

Archived