ReefCleaners.org

Trey's Evolve 4g

treygarz

Hey all! I haven't been on here in quite some time. It's been about a year since my last salt tank (AP24). Had to take it down due to a move for grad school. I've been without a tank for slightly too long and have started to get that "itch" again. I'm going to attempt to get my hand a little wet with a 4 gallon Aqueon Evolve LED. We sell these at the petshop I work at so I figured why not give it a chance. I haven't seen too many people running these as salt so I figure why not give it a go! I've done some mods to it (i mean how can you not do mods in this hobby!) I removed part of the back wall to add on an AC20. I've left enough room to potentially switch it with a AC50 for use as a fuge. Not sure of the output on the lights so for now the stocking plans are mostly softies and probably a clown goby or sexi shrimp. Hopefully some time next week I can put in the sand, rock and water! For now just a freshwater test making sure everything operates accordingly! Let me know what you all think. And thanks for looking!

Head on shot: Light, AC20 and a simple gravity fed ATO (will explain it more if need be)

image.jpg

Side on view

image_1.jpg

Pic of led lights (not sure how much they put out)

image_4.jpg

Got one to but 8g...so how does the ac20 work..do you still use the return pump that comes with the system...Little confused how this is gonna work..

gmod: How do you like the 8g? The AC20 seems to be working well when I ran it on the freshwater test. I am still using the return pump as well for the added flow it provides. Surprisingly it puts out decent flow than what I thought it would. Both of the pumps (stock and AC) seem to be running at the same speed so the water levels aren't really fluctuating. I may take the AC20 off at first until I get the system cycled and running smoothly. If I did that, I would probably add it back on as a fuge. I've seen some submersible led lights at petsmart that might work for chaeto in it. But I will play around with it a little more as time goes on i guess.

castiel: Yeah I'm hoping the lights will be decent enough for running softies. I guess only time will tell!

gmod: How do you like the 8g? The AC20 seems to be working well when I ran it on the freshwater test. I am still using the return pump as well for the added flow it provides. Surprisingly it puts out decent flow than what I thought it would. Both of the pumps (stock and AC) seem to be running at the same speed so the water levels aren't really fluctuating. I may take the AC20 off at first until I get the system cycled and running smoothly. If I did that, I would probably add it back on as a fuge. I've seen some submersible led lights at petsmart that might work for chaeto in it. But I will play around with it a little more as time goes on i guess.

castiel: Yeah I'm hoping the lights will be decent enough for running softies. I guess only time will tell!

I like it for the money its not too bad...I only set it up yesterday. so still checking hasnt cleared up yet...

So the ac20 is taking the water from the intake chamber and refilling it and then its just going like would if it was stock...Whats the gph on the 4g on the 8g its 98...

What's the wattage on that lamp?

We have no idea...lol..no info what so ever about it..my guess is its not much...Iam gonna test my bc8 hood lights and see if seems brighter with those...

yeah I have yet to find any information on the wattage. I know there are more LEDs for the 8gal.

As for the flow I have the stock pump still hooked up. I shaved off the return slots so that the water flow out of the AC20 will contribute to water movement in the display. Water will also be pumped into the display via the stock as well. I think the flow is the same on both pumps. I will look at the flow rate of the 4gallon. I apologize if any of that made no sense. Ill take some better pics of it soon.

I just bought the same tank and was wondering if I could use the back park as the fuge ?I

was planning on adding the media (chaeto, chemi pure and filter floss) and drop a heater in the area were the pump is. I was planning on upgrading the pump and lights.

I just bought the same tank and was wondering if I could use the back park as the fuge ?I

I think it would be possible to set it up as a fuge. The back chambers remind me of the AIO tanks. Only reason I added the AC was to give me more room in the future for a fuge. Its nice to see some other people trying these out as salt!

What do yall think it would do if i cut the tab wider where the water flows from the 1st to pump on the top...kind of like the bc29 mod but in reverse...would this just keep the pump chamber with more water in it..

I would think it would allow for more water to pass through. When it is set up, is the water level in the second chamber lower than the other? Mine was at first... I just added more water and all seems well.

I am interested in the specs on the light.

I think everyone that has this tank would be interested in the specs. There isn't any info about them anywhere that I could find.

I called the manufacture to see if they could give me the spec. The tech group has no clue what the k rating of the light is. All I got was they are growing coals with this light in the lab. That is sad because I am really interested in the 8 gallon version. I will be following your tank to see how coral does before I buy.

I don't know if it's much help, but on the freshwater side of things, I've seen on planted tank forums that the lights are recommended for plants that need a low-mid level light. That's not the manufacturer talking though, just an assumption it seems.

I called the manufacture to see if they could give me the spec. The tech group has no clue what the k rating of the light is. All I got was they are growing coals with this light in the lab. That is sad because I am really interested in the 8 gallon version. I will be following your tank to see how coral does before I buy.

That is very interesting and a little pathetic of them at the same time. I mean if they are using the light to grow coral, I would assume someone would know what K rating it is :mellow: I will def keep up with this thread and try to document pretty well so other can see how this tank/light does. Now as far as the 8 gallon goes, it has a bigger light. This weekend when I go to work I can get a pic of it if you want to see the difference. Just let me know.

I don't know if it's much help, but on the freshwater side of things, I've seen on planted tank forums that the lights are recommended for plants that need a low-mid level light. That's not the manufacturer talking though, just an assumption it seems.

I've read some similar things. But i've also come across some topics saying that the 2g isn't good enough for a betta. But we shall see soon enough if these work for coral.

Yesterday I picked up some sand, rock and water! Tank is now up and running! Might rework the scape. Not a huge fan of it.

photo1-2.jpg

Took some measurements of everything today. Everything looked pretty good. The only thing that was slightly off was the pH. Granted I took it at 9am lights off. I will test it again a little later on today once everything is on to see if there is any shift from this morning. As far as raising it slightly, what would be the best way? pH Buffer?

Also found a hitchhiker brittle sea star! Score!

Did another round of tests today. Unfortunately they weren't much different than yesterday. Found a couple more brittle sea stars. I think there are 3 running around! Once I get to the point of needed a CUC what should I be looking at with this size tank? I was thinking about 2-3 snails and 1-2 hermits. Thoughts?

Did another round of tests today. Unfortunately they weren't much different than yesterday. Found a couple more brittle sea stars. I think there are 3 running around! Once I get to the point of needed a CUC what should I be looking at with this size tank? I was thinking about 2-3 snails and 1-2 hermits. Thoughts?

I purchased a theo 50w and I'm planning on putting it in the 2nd chamber were the pump is, do you think it will fit ? I placed a black sponge (cut to fit) in the filter chamber then cut it in half so I can clean out one at a time, I put the chemi pure elite on top of that and topped it of with filter floss.

I think the 50watt should fit. I plan on getting one soon. So we will see how it goes.

Interesting crab. Not sure what kind it is. Hopefully its reef safe!

Archived