SaltCritters.com

I thought they were flatworms but now I don't think so

seabass

Hundreds of these showed up on my sand bed. They seemed to pop up very suddenly. They are capable of changing shape, but don't seem to crawl around like a worm.

At first I thought they were flatworms, so I removed as many as I could and treated with Levamisole. To my surprise, they continued to reproduce in my tank. I removed a few new specimens and treated a cup of tank water with two drops (which would treat more than 2 gallons) of Flatworm eXit. They didn't respond as flatworms would; however, they did retract into a ball.

Best photo I have at the moment:

121411a.jpg

One is attached and contracted, while the other is not.

Changing shape slightly:

121411b.jpg

They contract when removed from the water:

121411c.jpg

Shown on a paper towel.

Any thoughts as to what they are?

Sticky Reefer

Flat worms come in all shapes and sizes...this is a commen flat worm..the yellow damsels do a good his of controlling them as well as small wrasse six line,corris exc. Other wise you can go with chems but is that's scary lol....

• 1 month later...
How many adults do you have?
I have five in that tank. I've never had one split. I'm wondering if, in nature, they only reproduce sexually.
Builder Anthony

man.....if so you hit the jackpot.im not suprised your tank is unique.i forget if your coldwater or not though.if warm id like to get 3 or 4.i would look for bubbles in the parents teneacles.i think i observed aptasia reproduce like that.

Thanks everyone!

i forget if your coldwater or not
The tank is definitely tropical. I assume that the 'bubbles' you speak of are buds/babbies which are still attached to the adult. While I haven't observed this, it might have been what happened.
  • 1 month later...

Archived