ReefCleaners.org

Chipie's 20g long coral tank

Chipie

Hi,

I already have a 180g in the basement but i miss having a tank where i can see it most of the time so i decided to get another Nano tank. Got this 20 gallon long tank. Trying something different :)

Equipement will be

20g long tank (30l X12.5w X13.25h) drilled with overflow

20g high for a sump

DIY stand (built by me )

Bubble Magus 3.5 cone skimmer

Tunze silence return pump 1073.020

2 X Ecotech Vortech MP10

Topoff system by Blau Aquaristic

TLF reactor for GFO and BRS reactor for carbon

Leds built by a friend :)

Titanium heater

20lbs live sand

Live rock will be Walt Smith, Caribbean elkhorn and some marco rocks.

This tank will be mostly for corals.

Here's a few pictures of the progress. Stand i built before the 4 coats of varnish and without the doors.

042.jpg

Had to try if eveything fits before going any further The back of the stand that you see open here has a panel to close it up. Gives me easy acces to the back of the sump. The stand also has a very thick bottom and there's 6 large wheels under so i can easily move the tank whenever i need to. I wouldn't recommend doing it to a larger tank but it works well for this one. The bottom portion covering the wheels is also removable.

HPIM1181.jpg

I had a hard time deciding what type of pipes i was going to use but opted for pvc all the way.

HPIM1210-1.jpg

Left side of the sump is the refugium. But i think i'll put lots of live rock in ther instead. I want the display to be very open. Center is the return section and the right side is the overflow/skimmer section. This is a view of the back of the sump.

HPIM1211.jpg

Tested with tap water and yeah! No leaks lol

I've added live sand and live rocks in it yesterday and will have to take more pictures tomorrow :)

The awesomeness of your stand makes me sad. Mine is a pathetic attempt by comparison!

(in other words, nice stand!)

looks like a cool setup! noticed that your from canada, do you get all your stuff locally or did you happen to find a good online place that ships to canada?

oh and nice parrot, yellow head amazon?

The awesomeness of your stand makes me sad. Mine is a pathetic attempt by comparison!

(in other words, nice stand!)

Thanks castiel

If i can make that stand ,anybody can :) I'm like most women not used to using tools and don't have many tools either. I made this with a circular saw and a little hand saw and plastic miter box for the mitered corners.Nothing fancy there LOL

looks like a cool setup! noticed that your from canada, do you get all your stuff locally or did you happen to find a good online place that ships to canada?

oh and nice parrot, yellow head amazon?

Thanks Flexin5. I'm from a very small town in north eastern New-Brunswick. I can see the Atlantic Ocean from my house :) No fish stores close to here. Here, fish are for eating LOL So the closest i can get stuff for my tank is a 7 hour trip(3.5h both ways) and even there there's lots of stuff not available. So i buy most of my stuff online. Lots of good online store in Canada. As far as equipement goes, i mostly buy used since i'm not a rich person. :(

Yes my parrot is a double yellow head Amazon. Had him for close to 20 years now. He rules the house LOL

Oh and i hope you understand my english. I'm french speaking. It's a totally french region where i live. I only get to speak english a few times a year.

So cool! I have family in Nova Scotia, Toroto, and Ontatio etc, their scattered!

Love the stand, may have the husband take a look at it since we are getting ready to make one for my 46gallon Bow.

What kind of wood did you use?

Thanks Flexin5. I'm from a very small town in north eastern New-Brunswick. I can see the Atlantic Ocean from my house :) No fish stores close to here. Here, fish are for eating LOL So the closest i can get stuff for my tank is a 7 hour trip(3.5h both ways) and even there there's lots of stuff not available. So i buy most of my stuff online. Lots of good online store in Canada. As far as equipement goes, i mostly buy used since i'm not a rich person. :(

Yes my parrot is a double yellow head Amazon. Had him for close to 20 years now. He rules the house LOL

Oh and i hope you understand my english. I'm french speaking. It's a totally french region where i live. I only get to speak english a few times a year.

ah i gotcha, ya i'm in toronto, but i haven't found any places online that ship livestock? or with a guarantee atleast. equipment is ok but it would be nice to have a place like liveaquaria that could ship stuff to my door.

parrot is cool! my dad has a yellow winged amazon, i had a green cheeked conure that i gave to my cousin and i'll be picking up a sun conure chick or a red factor conure (if i can find one) soon. i like birds..lol your english is great! i should have went to french class...lol

So cool! I have family in Nova Scotia, Toroto, and Ontatio etc, their scattered!

Love the stand, may have the husband take a look at it since we are getting ready to make one for my 46gallon Bow.

What kind of wood did you use?

Thanks FlCandy. I used oak .Mostly 3/4" plywood. I haven't had time to take pictures today but will do tomorrow promise. :huh:

yeah that stand man.... awesome.

woman ;) LOL Thanks andrewguilfoy

ah i gotcha, ya i'm in toronto, but i haven't found any places online that ship livestock? or with a guarantee atleast. equipment is ok but it would be nice to have a place like liveaquaria that could ship stuff to my door.

parrot is cool! my dad has a yellow winged amazon, i had a green cheeked conure that i gave to my cousin and i'll be picking up a sun conure chick or a red factor conure (if i can find one) soon. i like birds..lol your english is great! i should have went to french class...lol

Well there's quite a few extremely nice fish stores around Toronto. And the prices are awesome. I'm totally surprised that your not finding what you want there.

You do llike birds LOL They bring so much life into a room.

woman ;) LOL Thanks andrewguilfoy

Awesome! You go girl! I think I may know more about carpentry then he does anyways, but he will be doing the labor so.....

Really awesome stand.

On the Sump, your chambers are refugium>return>overflow drain from tank, right? How does that work? I usually see them set up as overflow from tank> refugium>return, that way the water has a chance to hit everything before getting pumped back into the tank......

Just wondering as I am getting ready to put mine together as well.

Another picture of the stand now with doors. Tank has live sand and a few live rocks in it. Not ready to do the rockscape because i'm waiting for another 12lbs of live rocks. Got my Nano, my laptop and the TV in front. Oh and a little table for pop or beer lol Life is good :)

004-1.jpg

The bottom part slides rite out if i want to move the tank or clean underneat.

The little vortech making a small wave :)

007-1.jpg

And now the reason for not making much progress today :)

Received this in the mail today. A friend of mine made this for me. He also sent me 3 more for my 180g. The ones for the 180g have black plexi-glass covering. sooo nice. Pictures of those tomorrow ;)

009-1.jpg

010.jpg

Awesome! You go girl! I think I may know more about carpentry then he does anyways, but he will be doing the labor so.....

Really awesome stand.

On the Sump, your chambers are refugium>return>overflow drain from tank, right? How does that work? I usually see them set up as overflow from tank> refugium>return, that way the water has a chance to hit everything before getting pumped back into the tank......

Just wondering as I am getting ready to put mine together as well.

Carefull if you are cutting your own baffles like i did. Here's the result of working with glass and no gloves.

007.jpg

Here a drawing of one pretty much like mine. Only difference is i've only used 2 baffles after the skimmer section and i have a union and ball valve over my return pump. Oh and i also aded a Tee(with valve to the return line for when i want to install a reactor.

allinonesump.jpg

Carefull if you are cutting your own baffles like i did. Here's the result of working with glass and no gloves.

007.jpg

Here a drawing of one pretty much like mine.

allinonesump.jpg

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Ouch! No I will be getting the pre cut for that reason.

LOL it was so dumb on my part to not wear heavy leather gloves(which i had but just didn't use). As you can see in the drawing of the sump, i put a tee after the return pump and a ball valve to control how much flow i want in the refugium. My return pump's flow can also be controlled.

• 1 month later...

I guess it's time for an update :)

The canopy

002-3.jpg

005-3.jpg

And now finished and on the tank.

With all lights on

20g025.jpg

20g021.jpg

Blue lights only

Under the hood :) Boy those fans are quiet!

20g017.jpg

20g015.jpg

The only 2 fishes in the tank. A mated pair of neon goby.

20g011.jpg

I think i need more fish :)

Really great job with this tank. I love the design of the cabinet and it looks like you have plenty of room to do whatever work that you need. Keep it up!

Thank you for the compliments guys. I made both the stand and canopy high enough so it's easy to work inside. For now the sump it pretty much full of live rocks. I might decide on a refugium instead later on. Not sure yet. I also need to get a reactor for gfo and carbon.

Here's what it looks inside for now.

20g016.jpg

Archived