Pod Your Reef

AI Nano Sol vs. Sunbrite Slimline S12 with PAR

TKG

I recently picked up an AI Nano Sol for my sump light and wanted to see how it compared to my Sunbrite Slimline S12's.

Test was done with pumps/powerheads off using an Apogee MQ-200 with sensor placed on a acrylic rod. Tanks is 36" x 16" x 16".

_DSC0162.jpg

Sunbrite Pros:

With all LED's firing on both fixtues, it's much warmer than the AI.

Coverage is significantly better. Easily covers 150% more area than the AI. I'll have to try again with 60 degree lenses, it currently has 80's.

Mounts are sturdier, however I had to trim about 1" off the front mount to keep it out of the water.

No fans, so no noise coming off the fixture.

AI Pros:

Controlability, it's infinitely better than the Slimlines and I'm not using the controller yet.

Much stronger lighting, PAR is significantly better.

Much smaller, but a nicer looking mount would be better.

Ability to be controlled.

Overall, I like both fixtures. They both have their pros and cons, but I really like the adjustability on the AI. After I spend moer time with the AI, I may consider switching the sunbrites to the AI's, however I may need 3 to get the even coverage I like. Can't go wrong with either one and I'm definitely a LED guy from here on out.

If anyone has any questions about either fixture, I'd be happy to answer them.

Thanks for taking the time to post this Tkg. The nano continues to impress me every day. I love the look of the fixture and the fact that there is no light spill. The colors of my corals are fantastic and knowing that I can change the Kelvin to whatever suits me is just awesome.

I recently picked up an AI Nano Sol for my sump light and wanted to see how it compared to my Sunbrite Slimline S12's.

Test was done with pumps/powerheads off using an Apogee MQ-200 with sensor placed on a acrylic rod. Tanks is 36" x 16" x 16".

_DSC0162.jpg

Sunbrite Pros:

With all LED's firing on both fixtues, it's much warmer than the AI.

Coverage is significantly better. Easily covers 150% more area than the AI. I'll have to try again with 60 degree lenses, it currently has 80's.

Mounts are sturdier, however I had to trim about 1" off the front mount to keep it out of the water.

No fans, so no noise coming off the fixture.

AI Pros:

Controlability, it's infinitely better than the Slimlines and I'm not using the controller yet.

Much stronger lighting, PAR is significantly better.

Much smaller, but a nicer looking mount would be better.

Ability to be controlled.

Overall, I like both fixtures. They both have their pros and cons, but I really like the adjustability on the AI. After I spend moer time with the AI, I may consider switching the sunbrites to the AI's, however I may need 3 to get the even coverage I like. Can't go wrong with either one and I'm definitely a LED guy from here on out.

If anyone has any questions about either fixture, I'd be happy to answer them.

Thanks guys, was hoping someone would get some use out of it.

I'm waiting on a response from Sunbrite and will hopefully start modding my Slimlines soon. I'll have to redo the test afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the shots. I really want one fixture, at most two to light the same size tank.

Still not sure what I want to do.

The next helpfull shot would be 2 slimline par values side by side on the tank then 2 nano par values side by side on the tank.

Then you would be able to compare not only PAR values but light spread. While 2 nano's might give better vertical PAR values there maybe too much horizontal loss.

Also wonder how slimline s18's would work.

I would imagine the S18's would have PAR closer to the AI, but even better coverage. It's hard to tell from the pics, but the AI was noticeablly darker at the middle of the tank, where the Slimline easily covered more than half.

thats an expensive sump light!

I have a frag rack in my sump, I'm not just using it to light my skimmer. :)

Again.. very useful information . I'm trying to light a biocube 14 and thinking about the AI, my concern is if 2 white leds are suffuicent to keep the corals happy I do prefer the warmer look of the other unit though

Again.. very useful information . I'm trying to light a biocube 14 and thinking about the AI, my concern is if 2 white leds are suffuicent to keep the corals happy I do prefer the warmer look of the other unit though

The XML's are POWERFUL. The lens of the fixture stays cool, but holding your finger an inch or so under them at full tilt will burn you hand. For something the size of a BC14, the AI will definitely cover it. The controllablility is where it really shines. If that's important to you, I'd definitely go with the AI. I like the look of the Slmline's fixture a lot better. It's very hard to tell from the pic, but the Slimlines are quite a bit warmer than that AI. I really don't think you can go wrong with either one.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
did you get par readings for the sunbrite with 60* optics?

I didn't, I ended up getting a larger tank and switched to 2 AI Sols. I can tell you, they dont look near as warm as the Slimline's did and red's dont pop as much as they did. The ramping is almost worth it though. AI really needs to step up and release something with some reds/oranges in it.

Archived