Cultivated Reef

60-F Shallow tank...my MP10 sucked air from the surface...PROBLEM SOLVED

rbaby

I have a 60-F, it's 7" tall. My Mp10 is exactly an inch from the top of the tank...any lower and it blows sand around, any higher and it sucks up air from the waterline...even an inch from below the tank, every so often, the vortex will suck in air and blow out bubbles :(

I contacted Glazer with my issue and we discussed specs, got my package today and put it on--and this man is BRILLIANT. Check this bad boy out:

P1010483.jpg

rbaby VorTech Shield--WUTTUP! Highly HIGHLY recommended if you have a 60-F. It doesn't interfere with surface agitation either...and doesn't re-route the flow to blow any sand below it.

That is pretty nice! How high do you have your MP10 turned up?

No idea, but now I'll put it closer to the surface and crank it up a little more ;), you should get one. I notice that yours tend to blow your sand around too...it's such an annoyance!

That's really cool rbaby how much does he charge for one?

I'll let you know, he sent it to me to test out first to see if it worked :). Badass, I love it, I can now increase the flow in my tank because of it.

report back to us if you noticed any flow issues. with half of the slots pretty much blocked off, theres not enough area for it to suck water in and blow through.

but unless your looking for high flow, this shouldnt be a problem for you.

report back to us if you noticed any flow issues. with half of the slots pretty much blocked off, theres not enough area for it to suck water in and blow through.

but unless your looking for high flow, this shouldnt be a problem for you.

It's an excellent point, which is why I actually raised it up a bit when I tested it in my tank instead of mounting it flush like the above. I am going to continue playing around with it. Flushing it to the pump stimulates lots of surface agitation though, but it doesn't create the variable/chaotic flow as much on reef mode because the flow's directed straight.

Per some awesome feedback from rbaby the "shield" is being tweaked. As the piece is now it's solved the air getting sucked in to the top of the pump but at a cost of reducing some of the flow due to the restrictions of the shield. Using her comments and totally awesome diagrams ;) I've opened up the sides of the cap more. Was trying to go as minimalistic as possible with the portion that covers the top center line of the pump but seems there is only so much you can cut that back. I don't have a shallow rimless tank to test this out on so was sticking various shapes over the pump with double faced tape and making a general big wet mess. Too little a cover over the top of the pump and I was actually able to get a double vortex of air being pulled in around it... was worse than nothing at all.

So, this is v2.0 and once Ruthanne has it in her hands she can tell ya'll whether or not we have a winner.

P1010520.jpg

P1010523.jpg

P1010527.jpg

Steve

Hey Ruth... knowing how big I made that and looking at your pics, with how high you have that mounted above the rim of the tank it's looking like you have the pump head just barely under the surface of the water. If I'm seeing it right that's awesome. I would think that would really be stirring up the surface.

Steve

To the acrylic mount maybe u can add a clip or groove where the cord can be held instead of using the stick on clip. I think that would make it perfect

Hmmm, yeah, I suppose I could do something like that but wondering if it would be that much of a benefit. Like if you're running your pump that high towards the top of the tank would you still want to go up with your cord? I'd have to do something so they were easily separated as well so you could clean the shield when it needed it. Also locking the cord in on that bracket might not give you enough play in the dry side mounting. I know sometimes you have to kind of play around with the alignment to get them to run right/quiet. See what happens when you make crap... one question or comment about something and the mind takes off with a hundred more scenarios or "what ifs".... LOL

Steve

Archived