Top Shelf Aquatics

Finnex HOB Refugium

VtheMaestro

I picked one of these Finnex HOB refugiums up off of Amazon for 25 bucks.

dsc_0718%20copy%20-%20550.jpg

I'll probably replace the pump that it comes with, but the design and size of the fuge is pretty cool. I'm not really into the diy thing so I like finding well made products that do what I want them to do. I currently have this perched on the side of my 57 gallon tank stuffed with some ulva and chaeto providing a steady stream of pods for my mandarin. If you need something like this, I recommend checking it out.

Edited by VtheMaestro
  • Like 1
Wow! That kinda rips the AC70 mod a new one. More volume and less than half the cost.
Wow it looks great!

yeah. i love it. definitely a great find for the price

that's awesome man. What kind of flow rate do you get through that thing? And does it really operate off of just air bubbles?

It does operate off only bubbles and the resulting flow is a trickle at best. I wrote finnex and they replied that breeders and owners liked the very slow flow through the fuge. I dropped two caps of phyto in there and was still seeing green in my filter floss one week later, so I'm able to feed the pods in the fuge and also have a consistent dose draining into the tank. I'm considering switching the stock air pump in favor of a tom's aqualifter pulling from the sump to increase the flow just a tad bit. It'll never flood because it overflows back into the tank.

Are you going to add a light to it?

That side of the tank gets sunlight during the day so I haven't considered lighting it. My fixture also sheds some light on it, so I'm cool for now. The ricordeas I drop in there for acclimation open up so the tank light must be working. I like the idea of low light and nutrients growing my macros rather than high light.

well, comparing this to an AC 70 mod then I would highly favor the AC 70. Volume isn't as important as flow rate. IF the flow is to low then it's not gonna deliver the nitrate to the macro algae inside.

so someone goes out and buys one then its the bee's knees eh? :angry:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=285569

i thought about putting a small pump on the intake to run one. im sure you can just jam the output right in the tube with min. DIY

i bought the MARINA brand version and was also unimpressed by the flow, but for what they are for(breeding) i guess the flow is appropriate

• 2 weeks later...

I saw one on ebay I had mixed feelings about it. I had the same thoughts as BlockClimber, just shove a small pump in the intake instead of the air bubbler... buut refugiums are supposed to have low flow no? How is it doing now Maestro?

• 3 years later...

I have a small water pump on mine - flow rate is great for ample time in the fuge and thru the macro - a slow steady flow. Its not huge like in sump fuge but hey - my tank is a 20 gallon long. It lets u adjust spacers within the box kinda like a fishing tackle box and i use a small part of it on the intake side for carbon and such.

• 1 year later...

yeah well mine overflowed ...the design is ridiculous it tilts back WAY TO MUCH woke up this morning to about a gallon of saltwater all over my living room :furious: BE CAREFUL WITH THIS PRODUCT

POOR DESIGN
POOR DESIGN

What I don't know about this is that the return of too small. It keeps the water level super high and salt creep becomes s big problem. It really is better used as a FW breeder than a SW fuge.

yeah well mine overflowed ...the design is ridiculous it tilts back WAY TO MUCH woke up this morning to about a gallon of saltwater all over my living room :furious: BE CAREFUL WITH THIS PRODUCT

POOR DESIGN

POOR DESIGN

It should not be tilting back. Did you put the little plastic leveling pads on?

• 1 year later...
On 6/2/2016 at 8:36 AM, krusing93 said:

POOR DESIGN
POOR DESIGN

Just waiting for this to happen with mine. I put mine up against the wall to keep it more level than just letting it hang. I thought about dremeling some of the front overflow to allow more water to flow out. Any other tips?

• 3 months later...

Just bought one of these and am in the process of hooking it up but mine did come with swivel feet that push the bottom away from the glass to level it.  Only thing is it doesn't really come with any instructions, just a diagram on the box.  The feet and a couple other items included aren't even shown on the diagram so you have to just kind of figure out for yourself what they are and how it is set up.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2018 at 9:26 PM, Raven L said:

Just bought one of these and am in the process of hooking it up but mine did come with swivel feet that push the bottom away from the glass to level it.  Only thing is it doesn't really come with any instructions, just a diagram on the box.  The feet and a couple other items included aren't even shown on the diagram so you have to just kind of figure out for yourself what they are and how it is set up.

Just be careful not to allow the return to be blocked by algae or whatever gunk there is. You don’t want to wake up with saltwater on your floor. I learned the hard way but fortunately it was on a FW tank.

• 1 year later...
On 2/3/2018 at 9:26 PM, Raven L said:

Could you post a picture of the swivel feet yours came with/how you have it set up? Mine didn’t come with feet, so I’m going to try to make some.