Cultivated Reef

LED conversion on a NC28

Joe Dirt

I am in the process of doing a conversion on my NC28. What do you guys think of this configuration for the placement of the LEDs on the heatsink? FYI, the ratio is 2 RB : 1 NW. I was thinking of imitating the configuration of the AI Sol. Anyone try this? Or should I just go with a daisy chain configuration? Thanks. Dirt.

2011-11-04_14-44-25_857.jpg

surgicalsense

I want to covert my NC24 ... but I am scared. Haha! Just want to change the lighting, not the complete hood. I do not recall Joe, is your hoodless?

:mellow:

The only advantae to clustering is color blending. It reduces the "disco ball" effect. I would daisy chain. That way you get even coloring and no shadowing in the tank.

I want to covert my NC24 ... but I am scared. Haha! Just want to change the lighting, not the complete hood. I do not recall Joe, is your hoodless?

I ordered the 36 LED DIY kit from aquastyleonline. I had them do 24 RB and 12 NW. I also had them replace the heatsink with this one instead of the one that comes with the kit. I had to cut the heatsink down 1/2" so that it will fit in the hood. I went with the 36 instead of the 24 because they are the same price and that means extra LEDs for me. I am going to take pics along the way because I don't recall seeing a step by step with the aquastyle kits for a NC28 conversion. I could be wrong.

The only advantae to clustering is color blending. It reduces the "disco ball" effect. I would daisy chain. That way you get even coloring and no shadowing in the tank.

Plus it looks cool :P Daisy chain it is!

Yup I got the 14 Aquastyle Dimmable kit. Works well and daisy chained.

I have noticed that the supplied drivers have a "sweet zone" where in this spot the LEDs don't blink, they stay steady. If the LEDs are blinking and you can physically hear the driver, then turn it ever so slightly one direction to get a "sweet zone."

My .02

PS - everything above will make sense once it is all put together. Document the process and build! I'd love to watch!

I'm kinda torn. I really like the configuration of the clusters. Even if I daisy chained them. The spacing wouldn't be that far off from what I have shown in the picture. omgomgomg:unsure:

So I finally finished the conversion this weekend and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I am going to show what worked for me with the aquastyle kit. I am not going to get into too much of the "how to" in regard to the soldering and the LEDs because there a ton of threads on that already. Without further ado.

I ordered the 36 LED DIY kit from aquastyleonline. I had them do 24 RB and 12 NW. I also had them replace the heatsink with this one instead of the one that comes with the kit. I also had them switch out one of the drivers to this one because I would be only running 10 NW. I had to cut the heatsink down 1/2" so that it will fit in the hood. I went with the 36 instead of the 24 because they are the same price and that means extra LEDs for me. This turned out to benefit me because I ended up accidentally melting a few LEDs while soldering late at night and tired.

First off, I hot glued three LEDs (2RB:1NW) in a cluster. I did this in the center of them on top of parchment paper so that they could come off easily. I then arranged them like this.

d0379eff.jpg

Then I figured out my power routing like this. Joe Dirt style!

358d1543.jpg

Next I gutted the hood off all the CF parts. I only left the fans, the control board for the fans, and the moonlight LEDs. I have the moonlights on a timer, so they were left in tact. The power for those is the red and black wire on the bottom left of this pick. To the right, you'll see a blue and brown wire. Those power the stock fans. I'll get to that later.

34cd6916.jpg

After soldering all those LEDs up (What a PITA!), I started mocking this bad boy up.

1286c5a3.jpg

The fan they give you works pretty good as a spacer to rest the heatsink onto between the top of the hood. I hot glued it into place while mounting the heatsink. I had to drill 4 holes through the heatsink and I used 6-32 x 2" bolts to mount it onto the stock mounting holes.

43a89340.jpg

I decided to mount the dimmers under that control panel.

4f8abfd4.jpg

840d36e8.jpg

All mounted up and locked into place!

5d7aa553.jpg

I wanted to keep a stock appearance, so I removed the grommets and dremeled them out a little bigger

a0bb9204.jpg

1dbbc249.jpg

62ece060.jpg

I also felt that it was important to maintain the seal of the inner part of the tank so that moisture wouldn't get in the electronics.

682c7fb5.jpg

All soldered up.

fac83389.jpg

Lastly, I mounted the drivers with velcro in the same place the old ballast was.

f1a325de.jpg

All done with mounting of the LEDs in the hood. I took this pic before I did it but, I removed the hot glue from the centers of the clusters.

d4e0a766.jpg

The kit comes with a 12V power supply, so I wired the two stock fans and the fan included with the kit in parallel. The power supply is rated at 1A, and the fans combined don't get near that.

Boosh!

2591f589.jpg

Looks stock! Sweet!

575ee7b6.jpg

...and a new FTS under LEDs!

57434e4b.jpg

I will be adding my corals from my frag tank over very shortly!

All in all, it was a fun build and I saved a ####-ton of money. Enjoy.

It's hard to tell in the pic, but the stock glass cover is there to protect the LEDs from SW. All the rubber seals were left in place.

surgicalsense

:mellow:

I want to do this so bad to my hood with the leds. Yet, I am so intimidated and honestly do not want to break anything. Haha! Geesh.

I wouldn't jump into a project like this unless you are pretty comfortable with soldering. Other than that, its not too bad, just a lot of soldering and double and triple checking your polarity. LEDs don't like to be wired backwards!

• 3 weeks later...
surgicalsense

I totally need to talk turkey with you regarding the LED's you did and my hood. I have a few idea's and wanted your imput asap and also, if your interested in my idea. If not no harm, no foul. Kapish?

Archived