Cultivated Reef

What is destroying my tank ?

jbb

This may be quite long so hang with me for just a bit.

I currently have 2 tanks. Tank 1 is ~90g with 40b sump/fuge, running bio pellets, reef octo NWB110 skimmer, 1x250w MH, 2x54 T5. This tank to me has a very small bio-load, I currently have 4 fish - tailspot blenny, pajama cardinal, yellow watchman, and x-mas wrasse. The coral are a mix of LPS/Zoas/softies, I feed Very lightly - pellets three times a week, but only what can be eaten in a short time, acans and tube nem are spot 3x per week as well. Tank 2 is a 5.5g with AC110 running purigen / chemi pure elite, and cheato, with PAR38 for light, 0 fish , 3 blasto frags, and about 8-9 zoa frags. I do 2 -2g water changes per week in the 5.5g , and 2 40g changes per month on the 90. I have always used reef crystals , and dosed ESV 2 part with every tank in the past, but on these tanks (90 is a transfer from 40b) I have been using Red Sea Coral Pro. Since the salt swap I have had heck with GHA, I have ran through the full range of tests and all seem to be within what I had before the change of salts and the GHA has NEVER been an issue before. The only other "big" difference was the addition of rock from reefcleaners, I purchased 100 lbs. of rock from them last spring . I did make the mistake of just rinsing the rock prior to adding it to the system (no curing ) , but none of that rock was added to the 5.5g. I did another round of tests today and the results were :

Nitrate = 5

Nitrite = 0

Ammonia = 0

phosphates = 0.25

ph = 7.9 (morning)

All tests were taken with API test kit and all are up to date. I realize that with the GHA as dominant as it is the PO4 readings will be lower giving off a false impression. I tested my top off water from my ro/di and it came up 0 on both tests I ran.

About 2 weeks ago I siphoned and picked all og the GHA that I could get in both systems and did a 100% change in both systems , and In less than a week the algae was back in full force. One thing I know I need to do is beef up my cuc , but I am really starting to think that the salt is part of my problem. I am in the process of making about 60g of water for another large change for tomorrow, and plan on testing my new SW prior to the change.

Now for my question :

Has anyone else had issues with the Red Sea Coral Pro and algae ? If not, based on the info I have given do you have any suggestions or ideas. Sorry it was so long, but I tried to give as much info as I currently had.

Thanks in advance.

This past saturday I decided to try a small experiment :

PO4 Test

RO/DI only = 0 or undectable

new SW with red sea coral pro mixing for 24hr = 0.25

new SW with reef crystals mixing for 24hr = 0 or undectable

All tests again were taken with API test kit (new) , plan to purchase a Hanna checker to get a better reading.

Never used that salt. Never will, now.

It's likely that phosphates are much higher. API phos tests are crap. With phosphate and nitrate, the algae has all the fuel it needs.

Assuming you have been running Bio Pellets for enough time for them to come to their "bio" balance, I am surprised you are seeing Nitrates. They dont always kill the phos so much, but even seeing the .25 seems odd......I am going to vote a +1 to your idea that it is the salt.... :(

pellets have been running for about 2-3 months. I have been taking all tests with the API , so maybe I should get another brand of test kits to ensure the readings I have been getting.

altolamprologus

Ditch the saltand the test kit. Your phos is probably a lot higher than that. When my tank was fairly new I was using a brand new API test kit and phos was testing at about .25. I took it to the LFS to double check they got 1 ppm on a salifert test kit. I learned my lesson never trust API

TLDR

Somebody told me you're using the same salt as I am, Red Sea Coral Pro Salt, right?

Well all of my SPS just died after 8 successful months. So...

TLDR

Somebody told me you're using the same salt as I am, Red Sea Coral Pro Salt, right?

Well all of my SPS just died after 8 successful months. So...

Been using Reef Crystals for years and never had an issue, switched to Red Sea Coral Pro and it all went to crap from there.

Sorry to hear about your loss , but it looks like we have found our answer. :angry:

You could try and change the bio pelletd also. After 3 months they are probally storing nitrates. You should change half of them every 4-6 weeks.

Thinking about ditching the pellets all together and going back to the way that has worked for me in the past.

Reef Crystals - ESV 2 Part - regular water changes.

You could try and change the bio pelletd also. After 3 months they are probally storing nitrates. You should change half of them every 4-6 weeks.

Hahaha, no.....not this.....

They consume themselves. As I am sure you know, they are just solid food for bacteria. Changing them out would start you all over again with the "breaking them in" process.

Would you believe if someone told you to replace half your live rock or sand every 4-6 weeks? That is what this guy is saying pretty much. Hahahaha.

Been using Reef Crystals for years and never had an issue, switched to Red Sea Coral Pro and it all went to crap from there.

Sorry to hear about your loss , but it looks like we have found our answer. :angry:

Thinking about ditching the pellets all together and going back to the way that has worked for me in the past.

Reef Crystals - ESV 2 Part - regular water changes.

SHIZZ!!!!! THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I WAS DOING!!! :angry:

Reef Crystals - ESV 2 Part - WC every 4-5 days. :tears:

Hahaha, no.....not this.....

They consume themselves. As I am sure you know, they are just solid food for bacteria. Changing them out would start you all over again with the "breaking them in" process.

Would you believe if someone told you to replace half your live rock or sand every 4-6 weeks? That is what this guy is saying pretty much. Hahahaha.

HAHA, didnt want to straight call him out , but yeah. LOL

I only call it out when it is so.......crazy. I really don't want people to start wasting such an expensive thing. Man.....if I threw out my Bio Pellets every few weeks then it would be an EXPENSIVE way to control algae ;)

That's why you change out half and not all. That way you don't get rid of all the beneficial bacteria. Live rock and live sand is definitely different. You can run a tank without bio pellets you couldn't have a healthy tank without LR/LS. The fluval and aquaclear filters come with the ceramic "nodes" that you have to change out the same way to keep down nitrates.

That's why you change out half and not all. That way you don't get rid of all the beneficial bacteria. Live rock and live sand is definitely different. You can run a tank without bio pellets you couldn't have a healthy tank without LR/LS. The fluval and aquaclear filters come with the ceramic "nodes" that you have to change out the same way to keep down nitrates.

The pellets just need to be topped off as they "disolve" There isnt any reason to ever take half of them out. I would really like to see where you got this information, this is the first time I have ever heard of taking out and replacing it.

To the OP....sorry for jacking the thread. But I gotta get this guy informed. I promise I will stop after this post.

Dude, you are confusing things/products. The ceramic rings are a totally different product/concept/method. Go read about Bio Pellets. Not Bio Media, not Bio Wheels, not Bio Bale, not ceramic anything.

I will give you 5,000 bucks if you can send me manufacturer instructions from any of the Bio Pellet brands that say to ever change them out......EVER. Send me a link to a forum post that claims it is smart and standard procedure that does not have people like me calling it a crazy thing to do and I pay 1K. ;)

Unless this is just a troll.....obvious-troll.jpg

To the OP....sorry for jacking the thread. But I gotta get this guy informed. I promise I will stop after this post.

No worries, I think I have my answer - hi-jack away. LOL

Yea you guys are right. I got the two mixed up. Sorry I've been up for 3 days straight with only 6 hours of sleep total. Over worked! I'm out of my mind right now. Haha thanks for the set straight.

If you are referring to this : 6) How often must the biopellets be replaced? Depending on your system, you can expect to replace your biopellets every 4 to 6 months.

Then you are only half right. You will need to replace some, but not by removing any. It will be from them being used up.

SO NO MONEY FOR YOU

Swoosh! Yeah. :)

As was said the whole time by a couple people, they magically disappear as the bacteria eats them. You "replace" them literally....because they disappeared all on their own.

So I will call it a draw. They do need to be "replenished", but not really replaced.

All in good fun. I figured out you must have been thinking about some other type of product as soon as you mentioned ceramic discs. :) I just had to offer the money to get you to read some of the directions for them. Hahahaha. Plus I don't have any money ;) I better be careful for the future and only write checks my butt can cash.

Back to the main question for a minute. :lol: Do you guys really think Red Sea Coral Pro is the culprit? This is the only salt I've ever used (started about 6 months ago) and haven't really experienced this. I have a slight algae problem on the sand, but my cuc usually takes care of it in about a day or so. Could this be the problem? Should I change salts now? I've always herd good things about this salt until now. Very confused... :huh:

Archived