Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

id help please!

scoobahSAM

Ive been noticing a small circular bug(invert?) inside my tank the past couple nights after turning my lights off. Ill come back about an hour or so later and flash a flash light onto the glass and sure enough its there. After looking at it with my light beaming right on it for about a minute, it unlatches itself from the glass and floats off into the night of my tank. Maybe a type of iso? Im hoping its not a parasitic isopod like a creoland (Ive read they like to latch onto fish) Anyway, I'm trying to eliminate the problem, if it is, before adding any livestock.

ive been trying to get a picture of it but its kind of hard taking a picture of something when you're trying to hold a flashlight right at it while taking a picture of a teeny tiny little bug on glass lol

ive been looking at sites that have different pictures of hitchhikers too but nothing really looks much like it. Its a perfect circular bug.. transparent. I dont remember if it had two eyes in the center or not.

a lot of the time those guys are parasitic to fish.

Id just throw him out just to be safe.

when it doubt, just throw out :)

yeah ive been trying to catch him the last few nights but ive only seen him like two nights since ive had my cuc in there and thats been approx. a week and a half. I actually just checked right now with my little flashlight :blink: but no luck.. any ideas on how to catch it? everytime I seem to catch him in the action he delatches himself from the glass by the time I can try to do anything

I think youre thinking of cirolanid isopods being parasitic towards fish.. i think sphaeromatidae are more known to be algae grazers and for sure whatever it was it wasn't a cirolanid

You def want to catch it and get a good ID picture. That pic could be anything. Eyes are the key thing with isopods also. There is a way to tell between the two if you catch it. Apparently the Sphaeromatidae will roll up like a rolly polly / pill bug if you stress it out a bit. The bad isopods won't do that,. and tend to be a bit more clear.

You def want to catch it and get a good ID picture. That pic could be anything. Eyes are the key thing with isopods also. There is a way to tell between the two if you catch it. Apparently the Sphaeromatidae will roll up like a rolly polly / pill bug if you stress it out a bit. The bad isopods won't do that,. and tend to be a bit more clear.

Ill try to catch it.. I didnt see it at all last night or the night before. Anyone know an easier way to catch these things? Other than sitting around in the dark with a flashlight and turkey baster for hours peaking in with a flashlight every hour to see if its there?

the bad isopods are scary looking. LOL, I had one in my tank when I first got the live rock.

What I did was leave a net in the tank and used a diffused flashlight to locate it, then I turned on the lights which I guess stunned him for a second and I was able to snatch him.

Archived