Cultivated Reef

Need help with sudden ich

SWAG

Well I bought a really nice tank from a LFS that wad moving to a bigger store.

It's a 40 ish gallon.

48x16x12

I really want to post pictures but I don't have a camera and the only way I an is using my iphone4

Can someone tell me how I can?

Anyways,they gave me live sand from one of their huge tanks and fully cured live rock Covered in purple and at night I seen 2 shrimps come out.

Well anyways,I paid $75 for a gold striped maroon clown pair on the internet and they arrived this morning.

One of them has ich.already....

Could this be that the water from the LFS had the ich in it already or no?

And how do I cure it.

I have a cracked 20 gallon that I can use as a qt but I would need to buy a heater and filter,don't really want to as of now,only as a last resort.

I heard I can soak their food in garlic will help.

So can I just chop up some garlic really fine and make a paste and just mix it with brine shrimp?

I really don't want to loose the clowns because I love them already.

I acclimated them properly for about 1 and a half hours.

I had a mini cycle tested and params are pretty fine now.

Sg-1.025

Ammonia-0

Nitrite-0

Nitrate-5

The clowns seen to be eating and are happy.

I'm 100%sure it's ich.

My friend confirmed it,he's an experienced reefer.

He said qt would work but said he never tried garlic soaking.

What should I do:(?

I'm not sure about how effective garlic soaking is, or if you can just chop it up and make paste. I have used Garlic Extreme to soak food when I have had issues with fish eating, but haven't tried it myself.

The Ich could have come from multiple places, been in the water from the LFS, or if it was on the fish already when you got it, then it came from where you got it, or just started because of the stress the fish went through. I would QT though, and asap, since if its bad it can kill in just a couple days. I recently had Ich on a pair of Black and White Ocellaris that were in QT, and dropped the salinity down to 1.009, and it cleared in a couple days. Then kept it there for 4-5 weeks to help make sure the Ich cycle completed itself before bringing the salinity back up to 1.026, and watching them for a couple weeks to make sure they were 100%. However, since they are in your DT, I would keep them in QT for at least 6 weeks, and keep from putting any fish in to Ich cycle, and die off.

i would go with what maverick986 said.

best would be to get a 10 gal from petco or petsmart for like $15 and a cheap heater and a cheap hob filter.

probably like $40 in all.

worth the money to save those clowns.

hope everything works out well.

I would put them into QT. If you put them into your DT it will be infected and before you can add any fish to it you will have to let the Ick live it's life cycle, and I think that is a few months.

If you don't have a LFS you can buy from directly and have them hold the fish for a few weeks then I would always QT new arrivals, they usually get it from stress, bad health etc.

Get a qt... there's no other way it will look like he fights it off but then a few days or weeksthe later ban it'll come back hard and kill him. I took a local guys advice and just tried to keep my clown stress free and two weeks later it came back hard and by that point my new qt didn't help.... fml... now 5 weeks fishless

Archived