Coral Vue Hydros

Mantis Shrimp?

modulok

I noticed two eyes looking out of a hole in one of my live rocks. I only bought some fish, a pistol shrimp, and a CUC, so nothing that small that would fit into the hole. Never saw him eat or leave the rock.

Until tonight when I grabbed the rock and put it in a bucket to get him out.

post-65349-1315526175_thumb.jpg

post-65349-1315526183_thumb.jpg

post-65349-1315526189_thumb.jpg

cool, thanks for the confirmation. It's hard to capture what he really looks like with a cellphone camera, but he is kinda translucent. Redish stripe in the middle and a light green for the rest of him. His eyes are also green.

Please don't kill, sell it.

+1

Being a mantis hater, I feel the temptation, but for the sake of the life of the aminal, don't kill it.

Oh yeah, he hasn't done any damage. I'm just glad I found and got him out or the rock before I couldn't easily remove him. I am bring it to work to show a few people, then I'll see if the LFS wants it.

There are TONS of people who love mantis shrimp and keep them as primary pets, myself included. If your local LFS won't take it you can ship it to me and I will make sure it goes to someone who will care for it. Mantis are pretty damn smart for an invert, have amazing vision and are generally cool as hell.

Hell, My new custom 40B I had built (at a hefty starphire price!) is going to be my mantis's dream tank. Very few tank mates, lots of food sources and coral heads to hide in. He's getting it all to himself basically.

I posted a link to this thread on another forum with a section just for mantis people so they will either pop over here and ID it for you, or mention it there and I'll repost it here.

NirvanaandTool

Where is the rock from? That would help us get an id.

If its from the Caribbean, my first guess is N. Oerstedii. Similar body color at least

Got a better pic with Macro lens.

Can anyone tell which species this is? I think its a crusher.

It is indeed a smasher in the family Protosquillidae. Members of this group are only found in the Indo-Pacific and eastern Atlantic. They are not found in the Americas. My best guess without seeing a close-up of the telson is that it is in the genus Chorisquilla, but I would have to see the animal to be sure.

Members of this genus do not grow to more than about 30 mm, are highly secretive usually remaining in a tight fitting cavity and feed mostly on micro-crustaceans and macro plankton.

Roy

It is indeed a smasher in the family Protosquillidae. Members of this group are only found in the Indo-Pacific and eastern Atlantic. They are not found in the Americas. My best guess without seeing a close-up of the telson is that it is in the genus Chorisquilla, but I would have to see the animal to be sure.

Members of this genus do not grow to more than about 30 mm, are highly secretive usually remaining in a tight fitting cavity and feed mostly on micro-crustaceans and macro plankton.

Roy

sweeettt Dr. Caldwell's finally come to NR.

It probably won't feed on anything more than a quarter its size, but it will defend its cavity against animals close to its size. Usually a defensive strike is not lethal and the intruders learn to stay away.

If there was a contest between a small Chorisquilla and a similarly sized snapping shrimp, I would bet on the shrimp.

Roy

Thanks for all the help Roy. Although it seems safe to keep I will let it go with coworker. I don't want to start losing my CUC.

Dr. Roy is amazing!

Hey, if your coworker doesn't want him, I'm sure several of us here would pay shipping to get the little guy, myself included. I've been looking for a small mantis for my tank for awhile! Cool find.

It’s hard to tell what kind it is since it is still small. They tend to go through some color changes till they get larger, then their real colors will show.

I agree, don't kill them. They have very interesting personalities. :)

Archived