inTank Media Baskets

White film/ sludge? Cleaning glass daily

Porkypuff

I have a weird white sludge growing on my glass, rock, cheato and powerheads... If i scrape it off it gets stringy and floats around the tank as I try scooping it up in a net. I have no idea what it is and not sure how to combat it... Its a 20g tall lots of live rock 4 fish (being pulled today for QT to treat ich) recently changed out CC for a 2" fine sand bed about 2 weeks ago. I have 100 nass snails coming in the mail within afew days to share with a friend. Mabe they will help... I don't have water param's atm, lent out my test kits. I'll try and get them back today and post pics soon. Any ideas and advice are welcome!

Crappy cell phone shots...

IMG_20110823_080144.jpg

IMG_20110823_080204.jpg

In reading that it didnt sound conclusive in the end. You should peroxide as a spot treatment seriously Im not joking it cant hurt a thing. Drain the tank for a water change it needs anyway, and while the water line is exposed drop one drop of peroxide on the white and wait a min, then refill, and lets see if it causes it to decline. This is a great time to test peroxides affect on a very rare hitchhiker. A tiny spot test will be overall helpful and its not going crazy dumping peroxide in your tank or anything just a little sidenote we could add to the peroxide thread if it does recede that bacteria.

In reading that it didnt sound conclusive in the end. You should peroxide as a spot treatment seriously Im not joking it cant hurt a thing. Drain the tank for a water change it needs anyway, and while the water line is exposed drop one drop of peroxide on the white and wait a min, then refill, and lets see if it causes it to decline. This is a great time to test peroxides affect on a very rare hitchhiker. A tiny spot test will be overall helpful and its not going crazy dumping peroxide in your tank or anything just a little sidenote we could add to the peroxide thread if it does recede that bacteria.

Could I just scrape a piece in a cup w/ water and add peroxide to see what it does? what would happen if I dropped 1ml of peroxide in my tank? Cuz spot treat would take forever considering its everywhere...

Well, Ive learned my lessons the hard way. Would it be easier starting fresh @ this point?

Pros: Got hand me down live rock for free from a well established tank (30+ bristle worms, 30+ tube worms, tons of mini serpent stars, little bugs and things, and coraline... that doesn't seem to be growing at all)

Four fish, nem, acan, polyps.

Cons: Free rock came with free apistasia, hair algae, and ICH! And now this slime...

The person that gave me the rock now wants to just give me everything (got tired of keeping up with reef tank) like 80+ polyps, Open brain 5"+, mushrooms, kenya, xenia, favia, Etc... All way to big ready to frag. Very exciting but my tank has just been a pain!

Any suggestions?

peroxide can kill some of those pests en masse I don't think you should add it yet. just a drop to be safe, truly this organism hasn't been studied for degredational chemicals we want to minimize any hopeful action. I think it will kill it, unless organisms are specifically developed for high oxygen environmental blasts it really works

the way you can be safe but thorough with it is to first identify a localized dieoff caused by one drop of peroxide right on the white branch area, after you've gotten it out of the water somehow. An undisputed spot of peroxide concentration. then submerge the test and let it run normally, if you don't see a pit or necrosis/detachment then its not susceptible so best not to add to the tank yet.

its safer to watch what it does about 5 days after a single peroxide test.

feel free to manually remove any and all of it you can, we are still dealing with a potentially invasive organism. If you follow up the removal with a large water change matching the specific gravity and temp of the original water, it will export most of the chems made as you removed it from the tank.

Take pics if you can of the removal and drop application, its a helpful picture sequence to log in the peroxide thread.

well i got a hand full of it and as soon as i dropped peroxide on it the white hairy film bubbled and turned into a thick booger... same with on the glass. (it didn't like the peroxide at all) I will do another sample spot with pic's and post them asap. Thank you brandon429 for your responses!

Glad to help, you did the experiment cleanly and in a way that didn't risk the whole tank, can't wait to see the pics. we wouldn't have known it could kill it without you taking time to try thats helpful. I would pull it all out manually and use peroxide only on the absolute hardest pieces to access still in the tank. thats a drastic reaction although good for prevention now we know...

• 1 month later...

Any reactions with HP and Clams? I'm leaning towards the systemic dosing, as the rockwork will not be able to be removed from the tank. My corals and clams are very well attached to them. I don't plan on dosing any more than 2ml/day to start. I will experiment with my Ibox8 Pico as the guinea pig tank, but it's just a FOWLR tank only. If anyone has experience with systemic dosing with clams, please speak up.

Archived