Cultivated Reef

J's ADA 60-F, "A Simple Life".

dknydiep

Current FTS as of 10/08/11

10_08_111-vi.jpg

Current FTS as of 9/15/11

91511_1-vi.jpg

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I've been doing freshwater planted tanks for quite some time now, and finally pulled the trigger and started my first saltwater tank after getting some inspiration from Schreiba's tank (Thanks, since I'm having fun, but man the costs will add up quickly!). It also made the start easier, considering that I already had the tank, filter, and lily pipes.

I am going for a minimalist look, with 2 "islands" for my corals, as well as minimal equipment in the tank. The only issue I see is that I get a little bit of surface film. I've been looking for the Mame Skimmer, but can't locate one in the U.S.

I'm brand new to this so any comments/critiques are welcome. I'd like a recommendation on where to move the birdsnest once I take it off the plug. Any suggestions?

Equipment

ADA 60-F (Approx. 8.6G)

Cal Aqua Labs 13mm Lily Pipes

Eheim Ecco 2232

2 x Evils' Par 38, 20k and 12k

Hydor In Line Heater

Corals

To be honest, I have no idea what any of the names are, so help is much appreciated!

Inhabitants

3 Sexy Shrimp

Various Cleaner Crew

2x Clowns

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tank as of 8/15/11

1-vi.jpg

Left side

12-vi.jpg

3-vi.jpg

Right side

13-vi.jpg

4-vi.jpg

Vortex

5-vi.jpg

Some sort of brown zoo (name?) with 2 sexy shrimp

6-vi.jpg

2 corals, names?. I made a noob mistake and let the two touch for a second. The zoo looks bad at the point of contact. Are those areas now dead?

7-vi.jpg

10-vi.jpg

GSP

8-vi.jpg

A nice green, purple, and pink zoo. Name?

9-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking, and again, suggestions are welcome since I'm a noob!

The lights are currently ghetto rigged. I'm trying to figure out a cleaner way to mount the light. Anyone have a good fixture that I can use for my bulbs?

Looks really, really nice. Don't think you can beat an ADA with lily pipes for style! Like the rock formations too.

I am too much of a noob to help with your coral names, but someone will be along shortly for that.

Cool build. Schreiba's tank is awesome and it's a good tank for a beginner to copy.

Do you plan on adding any flow? The light should be sufficient for coral growth, but I'm not sure at all about the flow. I suggest you follow Schreiba's build and add a EcoTech MP10 as well.

And don't forget to keep us updated! Shallow tanks are about as sexy as they come.

bwoodward0012

looking good. the zoas with the sexy shrimp in that one pic look like they could be fire and ice, under the right light they may color up (blue with white splotches in the middle with orange skirts). the other zoas (pikish red with dark mout and pink skirt) look like watermelons or eagle eyes. and the sps piece you have looks to be green birdsnest. most corals have multiple names, you can go on various coral naming websites and see 5 or 10 different common names for the same kind.

Cool build. Schreiba's tank is awesome and it's a good tank for a beginner to copy.

Do you plan on adding any flow? The light should be sufficient for coral growth, but I'm not sure at all about the flow. I suggest you follow Schreiba's build and add a EcoTech MP10 as well.

And don't forget to keep us updated! Shallow tanks are about as sexy as they come.

As of right now, I don't plan on anymore flow, as I'm getting pretty decent flow and circulation with the cannister filter. If this proves that it won't work, then I'll add an MP10, but It ruins the simplistic look of the tank.

I would look at other ~10 gallon tanks to see what they are keeping. Small gobies like clown gobies, neon gobies, or a goby/shrimp pair are good choices.

As for where you should put your birds nest once you take it off the plug, I would say exactly where it is now is a perfect spot for it.

teamschreiba

Looks good! I'm glad I could help you out and provide some inspiration :happy: Just make sure your SPS are closer to the higher flow area if you're not going to add another powerhead. Other than that it looks great!

Looks good! I would consider more flow, but if it works for you right now, then keep it. ;)

Thanks!

I know that more flow would be optimal, but it would kill the minimalistic look of the tank. The flow that I get from my filter is actually quite strong. I'll take a picture of the flow with air bubbles next time that I do a water change.

J

• 2 weeks later...

Things have been going well as the tank further matures. I've finally finished my light fixture. No more ghetto flood lamp on a 2x4 wood piece haha. I've also added a few more corals since then, as well as 2 clown fish.

FTS

1-vi.jpg

3-vi.jpg

Clown that likes to chill in my Octopus Frog Spawn

10-vi.jpg

Left Side

4-vi.jpg

Right Side

5-vi.jpg

6-vi.jpg

7-vi.jpg

8-vi.jpg

9-vi.jpg

Love how you put glass in the fixture to make sure the lights dont move and adds a real sleak look to match the ADA. I see your using lily pipes, Im doing the same (well the tank comes tommarrow). Just wondering how you like using a canister?

Thanks guys. I wanted to make the light look better than just 2 hanging sockets with 2 fat bulbs on them haha.

Well, coming from the Planted Tank side, I have to love the lily pipes. My canister filter is working well for me so far, but I am getting a little surface scum on the top. Wish I had room for a skimmer, but all of the ones they make are too big, and I can't get my hands on a Mame Skimmer. What I've been doing is pulling the intake up to the water line, sucking in some of the scum, which causes air to travel through the filter and out the other side which causes some surface agitation.

First off, love your tank!

You can also try raising the lily pipe that returns water to the tank high enough to cause water movement/agitation at the surface, but not too high to cause excessive splashing. This is what I used to do in my freshwater planted ADA 120-P.

EDIT: I know there is a difference between the cal aqua lily pipes and the ADA lily pipes (I have cal aqua inflow and ADA outflow), but my suggestion should still be worth a try - if you haven't already.

Love those light fixtures!! I really want to get rid of my desk clamp fixtures, but I'm also considering ditching the Par38s. Anywho, enough about my stuff. Your tank is coming along nicely!

What I've been doing is pulling the intake up to the water line, sucking in some of the scum, which causes air to travel through the filter and out the other side which causes some surface agitation.

Wouldnt this burn the pump out? Im gunna be using a Ehilem (sp?) 2217 and I would be scared to try sucking air....

Wouldnt this burn the pump out? Im gunna be using a Ehilem (sp?) 2217 and I would be scared to try sucking air....

Thanks guys!

I'm not too worried, especially since I don't do it too often, and lift the intake only enough to take in a bit of air mixed with water.

My sand is starting to get a bit dirty. Any recommendations to get rid of the brown stuff?

Wish I had room for a skimmer, but all of the ones they make are too big, and I can't get my hands on a Mame Skimmer.

Have you looked at the Glazer skimmer from Pico Aquariums? That is the one I am currently running in my tank. It is a small and attractive package. I know he is closed for now, but he may help you out since you are a NR member. Best luck with the tank, it is gorgeous.

Archived