Pod Your Reef

Need advice on custom HQI/LED build

SpringFever

SpringFever

Hello nano-reefers! I have finally got my wife's blessing to finish my 40B build sans budget. Next on my build list is the lighting. I really like the growth and all around kick you in the a$ brightness of MH, but I also love the color pop achieved with LED. I think I want to combine the two in a DIY pendant. The drawing below is what I have in mind.

The MH will be 150w and the LED will be dimmable 3w cree. I am hoping someone or several someones will chime in and help me perfect my design. I am not an expert in lighting and I want this build to be thought out before I start. So come on experts, now's your time to give back.

LightingDesign.jpg

IMO

scratch the LED and go T5 for supplement actinic lighting. Nothing beats halide+T5

The white light from the halide is far superior to any LED so no need for white leds.

With halides and LEDs your tank may look like a disco

If those are Red leds I would not use those

SpringFever

Thank you for contributing your thoughts. My original plan was to go with T5s, but the color seems to be much more pronounced (pop) using LED. Is this just in my head?

I’m glad you said something about the different colored diodes. I have read through a few LED builds where they used cool white, royal blue, and a few red diodes. I’m assuming this is done for the same reason different color T5s are used.

If I’m only using LED as supplemental actinic, should I still incorporate different colors?

Here is a revised schematic of how I plan to wire the configuration. Two separate dimmable circuits. What do you think?

LightingDesignV2.jpg

Archived