Innovative Marine Aquariums

crab identification help!

ScubaRyan

I orginally thought I had 1 bigger crab and a very small crab. Last night I noticed a different crab in another hole and could see 1 of his claws coming out, his claw looks bigger than the other one's body. I don't have any full picture but took 2 videos of him in the hole. Perhaps somebody could identify based on what you can see in the 2 videos? The second video is a little bit closer and shorter. It seems like he is eating the rock, or he's just breaking it off and putting it aside.

He's been in the hole for at least 2 days, maybe he was stuck? As he isn't in it today after I got home.

1st: (click to view)

th_IMG_1247.jpg

2nd: (click to view)

th_IMG_1248.jpg

Here's a picture of what he did to the hole (compare to the video) by the time i woke up:

IMG_1251.jpg

and here's the picture of the same hole 8 hrs later when I got home from work:

IMG_1253.jpg

Hopefully somebody can ID the crab...I'm sure he's not one that is reef safe

Rule of thumb: If the claws are serrated rather than cup shaped, its not reef safe.

I'd say if the thing can carve easter island heads out of your rock, then its definitely not reef safe.

Yeah, when I saw him breaking off pieces of rock I knew he'd go after any coral. I'm glad I saw him prior to putting any fish/coral in.

I did catch him today on my first try.I moved the rocks around and he came off one and i grabbed him with the net. Here's some pics and a little video of the "little guy"

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_1255.jpg

IMG_1259.jpg

Video: (click to view)

th_IMG_1262.jpg

There's another 2 crabs in the tank, but they aren't the same kind. I thought they were emerald crabs, but they seem to have antenae's coming off them (don't think emerald crabs do?), so I'm not sure what they really are...hopefully i'll be able to catch/take a picture of the bigger one.

If you're wondering what I did with the little guy, I went to the beach and set him free. He came off of the florida coast and that's where he went back!

Gromit1710

I'm going to say it looks like a xanthid crab. I recently found one in my tank as well. Must have hitched in with the rock and then hid for the first 6 months.

People have said that they munch on coral and to take it out. I've watched my tank very closely since he showed up and I haven't seen any damage to the corals.... I dunno.

Here's a link to my thread when I was trying to ID mine.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=269245&hl=

Archived