Coral Vue Hydros

DIY Chaetomorpha ("Chaeto") holder

ajmckay

For the past month or so I've just let my 2 little chunks of chaeto float around in my sump because I didn't have much flow at all going through and it pretty much stayed in place. Well last week I got a nice powerful circulation pump and my chaeto balls were flying everywhere. It wasn't a huge deal, but still I wanted them to somewhat stay in place.

The method used by many people is a soap dish (w/suction cups) or some other similar contraption. That or people use rocks to sandwich it, but somehow that doesn't work very well and within a day or 2 it's back floating around.

I wanted something cleaner looking though, so here's what I came up with.

1) gather your tools. You'll need:

- Scissors

- Fishing line (the thin, clear stuff)

- A long sewing needle

- A piece of egg-crate that is big enough to hold the chaeto ball down (I made 2 of these). You could also use a rock if you found a piece that would hold the fishing line well enough.

- Some Chaetomorpha macro algae (or similar, I believe mine is Chaetomorpha linum)

IMG_1918.jpg

2) Next, cut off a long piece of fishing line, maybe 3-4ft long. Tie one end to the egg crate somewhere near the middle.

3) Proceed to pass the needle through the middle of the chaeto ball, pull your string through, and then go back the other way. You're literally sewing the chaeto ball to the egg crate. Try to do several passes, in various directions, each time trying to pass the line through the chaeto. Avoid trying to just "tie it down" as the fishing line will show more and it might escape. Don't make it too taught as you still want plenty of flow to pass through the ball. As long as the line goes through the chaeto it can be really loose. Finally tie it off in the back of the egg crate, as you would when you're sewing.

IMG_1920.jpg

4) Place it in your tank. I buried the egg crate slightly, allowing the sand to hold it down. This DIY serves 2 purposes now as it prevents my sand from blowing all over in the spot I put it. You could also sew the chaeto to one side of the egg crate and stick the free end underneath a rock or something.

IMG_1922.jpg

IMG_1924.jpg

Anyways, I hope you like this DIY!

Thanks Bitts!

Great idea. I actually built a little egg crate box for my chaeto.

Actually I saw several like that. I wanted to keep the flow moving through, yet since it is going to be in a "display" fuge, I didn't want too much egg crate showing. This way I bury it just below the sand.

• 1 month later...

Archived