Cultivated Reef

My 8g Rimless LED Lit Tank

jonnyboyr

Hi,

Been a quiet reader only on the site now for a couple of months and thought it was time to take the plunge and show my setup, well it's not nearly finished and there are a few bits that I would have done differently but here it is!! Being in the UK the hobby (for nanos at least) doesn't seem as well supported as in the US. Getting better though!!!

Tank was set up in Jan '11 by the way. Not too sure exact date!

The Setup!!!

16x12x10 Glass Tank - Arcadia ARC tank. About 8g (30l) after displacement

6-7lbs Live Rock

Coral Sand

1 x Maxspect G2-180-60w LED Fitting

2 x 11w PC 50/50 Arcadia Fittings

Tunze 6045 Nanostream for water movement (1500-4500lph adjustable)

Small Internal Filter containing Rowaphos and Carbon only

Curent Stock!!!

1 x Tiny Percula

Various Snails

2 x Tiny Red leg hermits

An ever increasing population of small white (Asterina?) starfish

Hammer frag

Brain coral (Favia)

Zoas

Red encrusting montipora

Some red / purple mushrooms

These corals are all in there to just see if everythings ok, the zoas, mushrooms and brain were "borrowed" from a friends tank and will be re located there once I'm happy.

I spent a long time reading this thread on NR:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=236015

.... and decided I wanted to give it a try. I change half gallon everyday, wipe the glass down and thats about it. Takes care of the nutrient export and currently seems to be doing pretty well. I use RO water and am currently using IO salt as someone gave me a huge bucket of it!!!

Parameters

SG: 1.027 (Refractometer)

Alk: 10.2 dKh (Red Sea Pro Kit)

Calcium: 440ppm (Red Sea Pro Kit)

Magnesium: 1400 (Red Sea Pro Kit)

Phosphate:0 (D&D kit)

Nitrates: <0.5 (Salifert Kit)

Had no losses so far and polyp extentsion seems pretty good. Had about 1/4" growth on the monti after a month and that was under just the PC's. We'll see how it goes on with the LED's!!!

Also coraline has taken off already on the plastic parts (pumps etc), and just started on the glass!! Not had any nusiance outbreaks of algae / cyano or anything!!

Problems!!!

As far as I can see it these are my problems:

1. Too much sand!! (or maybe others would disagree)

2. The asterina stars

3. The small internal filter seems to chuck out loads of bubbles (as you can see in pics!!)

4. 4 Aptasia heads appeared out the rocks

5. Some sort of leafy macro algae appeared out of the rocks

Anyone who can offer any advice on these please do!!!

The Future

Being only about 10-12 weeks old I appreciate this tank has miles to go! I really want a decent HOB filter like an aquaclear but they dont sell them in the UK! Any uk ppl who have found anything similar please let me know!! Also I think the Tunze takes up far too much room so am thinking MP10! I also have a Aquatronica on my 90g Malawi freshwater tank I am going to move to this tank, but need a HOB filter for the probes!!

Then its a case of stock, stock, stock!!! Will re locate the corals I don't want and am thinking mainly SPS frags, a couple of clams then see where it takes me!!!

Sorry to ramble on guys and by the way, I realised when taking photos of the tank for this thread how awful my old Canon camera is!!!!! Sorry about the pics but a DLSR is definitely on my shopping list!!

post-66138-1302464758_thumb.jpg

post-66138-1302464799_thumb.jpg

Archived