Cultivated Reef

ATO for JBJ Pico

Milkeeway

I have a 3 Gal JBJ Pico as some of you know, and I'm having a custom glass lid made because the Evaporation is pretty bad. I don't see it so much in the tank water level but my entire stand is covered in saltwater all around the tank! I just see little bubbles popping and jumpin out of my tank 24/7 so along with a glass lid I'd like to get an auto top off system going! Preferably DIY but if there is a pre built one at an affordable price id definitely consider it. I have a spare 5 gallon (square jug) the really common ones. I would like to use that 1) because I already own it so it won't cost me anything lol and 2) because it fits perfectly in my cabinet

I actually got my glass lid done today for $8.00!!! I'm gonna check those out now

Let me know which one you're gonna attempt

I used one from aquahub.com on my 2.5 gallon when I had it. It was cheap and worked great. I only used it with 1 float switch even though you can use it with 2 because I didn't have a sump.

Drift Monkey
I actually got my glass lid done today for $8.00!!! I'm gonna check those out now

Let me know which one you're gonna attempt

wow, where? GB DUDE! :lol:

Drift Monkey
I used one from aquahub.com on my 2.5 gallon when I had it. It was cheap and worked great. I only used it with 1 float switch even though you can use it with 2 because I didn't have a sump.

I forgot about this option. Thanks.

wow, where? GB DUDE! :lol:

I got it done at a local glass shop called Dandoy. Basically I took a piece of cardboard traced my tank and took it in, I had these very square cuts to fit around my skimmer intake and outlet, and he told me because of the angles it was gonna be like $60! So i suggested we just do this shape "D" basically just the bow front with a flat cut off and he was like yeah that'll be $7.50 plus tax haha and he did it while I waited about 5 minutes.

I checked out their website, basically it's $40 for the float but you still need to buy a pump and tubing right?? I get confused!

Drift Monkey
I got it done at a local glass shop called Dandoy. Basically I took a piece of cardboard traced my tank and took it in, I had these very square cuts to fit around my skimmer intake and outlet, and he told me because of the angles it was gonna be like $60! So i suggested we just do this shape "D" basically just the bow front with a flat cut off and he was like yeah that'll be $7.50 plus tax haha and he did it while I waited about 5 minutes.

I checked out their website, basically it's $40 for the float but you still need to buy a pump and tubing right?? I get confused!

Yeah it come switch all the components, except a pump and tubing I think. Looks like it might be kinda huge in our 3gals though...:mellow:

I have...it is kinda pricey though...not sure what all it comes with either. I know you gotta buy your own container/pump.

Container I have pump I do not!

But I really like some of the safety features built in! The last thing I want is to come home to see that my crab somehow managed to get stuck on my float and it's been pumping 5 gallons of RO water onto my floor for the past hour! I know it's unlikely I just think for me personally it might be worth the investment!

Drift Monkey
Container I have pump I do not!

But I really like some of the safety features built in! The last thing I want is to come home to see that my crab somehow managed to get stuck on my float and it's been pumping 5 gallons of RO water onto my floor for the past hour! I know it's unlikely I just think for me personally it might be worth the investment!

A guard on the switch will accomplish the same thing. You should go even more upscale...

http://www.tunze.com/149.html?&L=1&amp...=-infoxunter036

:D

No worries I ended up finding it my dumbness was looking for ATO when water level is right in front of me! Wow that thing is amazing! Seriously infrared to detect water level?!?!?1 That's just sick haha I'm totally getting that!

Drift Monkey
No worries I ended up finding it my dumbness was looking for ATO when water level is right in front of me! Wow that thing is amazing! Seriously infrared to detect water level?!?!?1 That's just sick haha I'm totally getting that!

It would be ideal...they are as reliable as you can get...but you certainly have to pay for it...-_-

how about you call tunze and get them to send you a free one to unbox and then you send it to me and ill test it for say the next few years or so

I just watched a video about it (Makes me nervous cause there's some really professional sounding/looking reviewers out there!) One thing I like is although its $200 it comes with everything which I think all I have to do is drop it in my water jug and it's good to go which I like!

Drift Monkey
I just watched a video about it (Makes me nervous cause there's some really professional sounding/looking reviewers out there!) One thing I like is although its $200 it comes with everything which I think all I have to do is drop it in my water jug and it's good to go which I like!

But it's still $200. :P

I know!! But I'm such a sucker for the best of the best! I decided I'm going to buy a universal remote, harvest the IR sensor and build my own Tunze!

Lets face it the Tunze will last forever, and the JBJ is still fairly expensive. You can find a Tunze for under 200 if you look around

Drift Monkey
I looked at it but it's $140 for that kind of money I'd rather go Tunze I thinn

$125 for just the optical sensor. All you'd really need IMO...dual switches really take up a bunch of room in small tanks.

Lets face it the Tunze will last forever, and the JBJ is still fairly expensive. You can find a Tunze for under 200 if you look around

The Tunze is sweet, I almost snatched up a used one the other day. The JBJ works fine though, and can be found for quite cheap used actually...I might end up going this route. I just can't justify spending ~$200 at this time...

Archived