Coral Vue Hydros

T5-R VHO - UVL from Nano Tuners or LED's?

friar1

Ok, so I am planning on a new tank, I am going to take down my 1.5 Gallon and get a Finnex 4 Gallon. I can't decide on whether to go with 5 LED's (3RB, 2CW Crees, 3 watt) Or get the T5-R VHO - UVL from Nano Tuners.

Going LED will save me some money, since I already have everything but one LED and a heatsink, But I have seen and read about the success with T5 VHO bulbs and I was thinking of making a Two bulb fixture for the T5-R VHO - UVL from Nano Tuners 12", 20-watt bulbs. Nanotuners has been very helpful on recommending the proper ballast for this set-up. I just can't decide whcih way to go. Forgetting the price difference for now, what would you guys think is the best choice for lighting. I want to keep LPS and softies, but I would hope someday to keep SPS, though that is by no means a firm goal.

Comments?

Thanks,

Friar

Paleoreef103

Ok. So those great successes with T5s and SPS? They weren't done with two bulbs. A few were done with four, but most are done with six bulbs or more. If you're going to to go with T5s, you're going to want incredible reflectors and active cooling. If you insist on T5s, go with a 454 and an Indigo sun. It won't be perfect, but it'd be the best you can do with two 12" bulbs.

Go with the LEDs.

I agree that a 454 and Indigo Sun is the best 2 bulb choice.

Also, it has been my own personal experience that some Soft Corals don't respond as well to LEDs.

SPS seem to do well with LEDs.

Yeah,

my current Softies do rather well under LED's and I realized I would be spending like 40 dollars every few months to replace bulbs that are over driven like that.. (VHO) so....... LED's !

Thanks for the input!

Friar

Archived