Coral Vue Hydros

RyGuy103's BC29 HQI

RyGuy103

Hi Everyone!

I'm very excited to finally get this thread up and running. After years of keep freshwater aquariums and mentally preparing for the saltwater leap - I bring you my first saltwater aquarium! The tank was filled with water on 12/17/2010. I welcome any questions or comments (especially those that will help me better my tank). All pictures below were taken with a Canon Rebel T1i with 58mm and 300mm lenses - I am still learning how to use it. I will try and update and post pictures as often as possible.

Also, I live in London Ontario Canada and if anyone is nearby and interested in frag trading, let me know since there are not many LFS options out this way. Here we go:

Tank::

Oceanic Biocube HQI 29g with Phoenix 14k 150 watt bulb

Current LED 4-Bulb Moonlight

Aqueon Circulation Pump (700 GPH)

Oceanic Biocube Circulation Pump (250 GPH)

20 Pounds CaribSea Live Sand

22 Pounds Indonesian Liverock

Instant Ocean Salt Mix

Chamber One

Eheim Jager TruTemp Heater (150 Watt)

Oceanic Biocube Protein Skimmer

Chamber Two

InTank Media Basket:

- Shelf 1 = Filter Floss

- Shelf 2 = Premium ROX 0.8 Carbon

- Shelf 3 = GFO High Capacity Phosphate Remover

InTank Refugium:

- Chaeto

- Submersible 10 Watt Halogen Light

Chamber Three

Oceanic Biocube Return Pump

Livestock

2 Picasso Percula Clownfish

1 Bangaii Cardinalfish

1 Cleaner Shrimp

3 Mexican Turbo Snails

5 Cerith Snails

10 Astrea Snails

15 Nassarius Snails

7 Trochus Snails

Coral

Frogspawn (Red and Green)

Eagle Eye Zoas

Red Acan Colony (14 Heads)

Candycane Acan Colony (10 Heads)

Orange and Purple Florida ricordia

Pink Pom Pom Xenia

Red Montipora

Blue Clove Polyp

Green Acropora

Pink Pocillopora damicornis

Purple Tip Acropora

I am currently not dosing anything as calcium and alkalinity are bang on and all my SPS are happy with amazing polyp extension. All my SPS were purchased as small frags so as they grow, I am on quick standby with B-Ionic Calcium and Alkalinity Buffer when needed. I test regularly for trates/phates, pH, calcium, and alkalinity. In the past, I dosed with Kent Marine Tech I Iodine supplement but the frogspawn, acans and ricordia did not respond well. I stopped dosing iodine and all have recovered. Also to mention, my weekly tank maintenance includes a 17% water change (5-stage RO/DI system), glass cleaning, and filter floss replacement.

Below are some pictures of my tank and I look forward to getting some feedback! In addition, here is a video I took when I first received my Picasso Clownfish as they were temperature acclimating (note the Jumbo Peppermint Shrimp 'feeding' on my Frogspawn...you will notice this shrimp is not in the livestock list above):

FTS:

post-52556-1301793938_thumb.jpg

Frogspawn:

post-52556-1301793951_thumb.jpg

Zoas:

post-52556-1301793964_thumb.jpg

Acan:

post-52556-1301793975_thumb.jpg

Snail Love:

post-52556-1301793987_thumb.jpg

Cardinal:

post-52556-1301793996_thumb.jpg

Picasso Clown:

post-52556-1301794004_thumb.jpg

Picasso Clowns:

post-52556-1301794412_thumb.jpg

Picasso Clown:

post-52556-1301794419_thumb.jpg

Thanks!!

post-52556-1301794011_thumb.jpg

post-52556-1301794296_thumb.jpg

Thanks very much for your comments!

I have to pass credit to Losgann for giving me the cardinal and frogspawn as a tankwarming gift!!

• 9 months later...

Thought I should update on my status because I have re-arranged the rock work a bit to accommodate my massive orange montipora plate that started to grow out of the water. I also just changed my bulb to a Phoenix 150W DE 14,000 and LOVE the colour and installed the AquaticLife 115 mini protein skimmer. I took a video and posted to YouTube if you are interested:

Sorry about the focusing at times, I am still working on the video feature of my camera (and still no tripod yet). Since I replaced the bulb, the RHA in the video is almost completely gone! If you watch to the end, you will get a good look at my peppermint shrip that comes out to say hello. My cleaner shrimp is tough to see in this video because he was hiding for a few days while molting.

Let me know what you think!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived