Top Shelf Aquatics

Rinehart's Rimless Fluval Flora

Rinehart77

Hello everyone. I've been absent from forums and reef related societies for some time, but haven't left the hobby. Mainly just been maintaining a grow out tank in my basement, while I squared away some other issues, responsibilities and other pain in the a$$ problems that have kept me from having a nice display tank.

So now that everything seems to have settled down somewhat, I've been able to put together a nice little jewel on my office desk. All the rock and Corals are from my 30B growout tank, mainly just a few easy to keep LPS, and a few SPS pieces. Mainly Montipora Spp. A nice hammer, caulastrea, hydnophora, which I'm looking to find another home for, a couple of brains, and a few randomly growing zoanthids. The centerpiece rock with the big red monti cap, and hydnophora have been grown together since they were tiny frags, and so far haven't fought with each other, but I am quite aware of how aggressive hydnophora is. Once he's gone, I'll most likely attempt a nice acro of some sort on that side of the rock.

These are some crappy pics from my iPhone, sorry about the blue blowing out the sensor. I'll get some nicer ones with my DSLR early next week.

060.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

Right now the system consists of:

Lighting: 1x BoostLED PAR30 3B2W that I was able to pick up from a local reefer. Previously these guys were all kept under T5HO so I'm slowly acclimating them to the LED lights with a much shortened photo period..

Filtration and flow provided by an AC 300 at the moment, with some filter-floss and a bag of chemi pure. It also provides a nice spot to hide my heater. I'll most likely add a small powerhead of some sort, I have a few 6025s, and a couple of Koralia nano's, so I'll figure something out.

Params: Temp: 79.1

SG: 1.023

Future plans include an ATO unit, I only live about 5 mins from my office right now, so it's no biggie for me to run in and top off even on weekends when I grab my coffee. I'm currently changing 2 gallons once a week.

More to come, comments and thoughts, suggestions, general insults, etc, always welcome.

Enjoy!

Right now mainly montipora, and a few LPS. Only things I have planned are a duncan and an acro of some kind. Thanks for looking minidude I'm a big fan of your tank! Cant wait to see you stock it.

Right now mainly montipora, and a few LPS. Only things I have planned are a duncan and an acro of some kind. Thanks for looking minidude I'm a big fan of your tank! Cant wait to see you stock it.

Awesome! Got anything planned for fish? You could do a small Goby or a small damsel like the yellowtail?

Thanks, I can't wait to stock it either.....I suppose you used the index on the first page to get around or you were a lurker from the beginning? Thanks for the complement though....I'm in bed right now thinking why I should have set the photoperiod back and hour or two <_<

There's a couple tanks I've just decided to randomly tag on to as I get back into things. I used to have a Talbot's damsel that was super cool but I'm not sure I want the added pressure on the system via fish poop. Maybe if it were a bit bigger. Not sure yet.

There's a couple tanks I've just decided to randomly tag on to as I get back into things. I used to have a Talbot's damsel that was super cool but I'm not sure I want the added pressure on the system via fish poop. Maybe if it were a bit bigger. Not sure yet.

I got ya....IMO I wouldn't do a Talbots in there anyway....I've seen the get to 5in....YT get up to 3....you could do one o those or a goby

Yeah that's why I said if it were a bigger tank. I don't think I'm gonna do any fish at all in here, honestly. Maybe a cool invert of some type.

Yeah that's why I said if it were a bigger tank. I don't think I'm gonna do any fish at all in here, honestly. Maybe a cool invert of some type.

This is around 8g right? You could do like 3-5 sexy shrimp and other cool inverts B) that's what I plan to do with mine after it cycles.

Sexies are at the top of my list, only thing is they like to munch zoas sometimes. Harlequins are cool, but way too dirty for a system this small. Definitely gonna do some more research but leaning towards sexies once I have an ATO.

Sexies are at the top of my list, only thing is they like to munch zoas sometimes. Harlequins are cool, but way too dirty for a system this small. Definitely gonna do some more research but leaning towards sexies once I have an ATO.

I love sexies....i think they are really cool

• 3 weeks later...

A few updates. Since my last post, I've decided to change a few things up. I removed the large Cap, and Hydnophora. Added a new DIY ATO, and redid my scape. Also added a few new pieces that I traded some local reefers for. Still no inhabitants save for my CUC. Here's some new pics, enjoy!

Some Zoas

Zoas.jpg

New Scape

FTS_New.jpg

Obligatory "Look how %^$&*%ing bright my par38 is! shot..

FTS_Light.jpg

Duncans :)

Duncan.jpg

A little birdie told me...

BOP3.jpg

DIY ATO

ATOShot.jpg

That's it for now. More to come later.

It's actually just about the same, the only difference is I moved the flat rock that was in the back, to the front and added a ledge for some zoas to sit on. But thank you for following along! I'll get a good FTS going with everything in it's new place sometime this week.

Archived