Coral Vue Hydros

Check this gnarly worm out!

CoralWhisperer

CoralWhisperer

So we are moving a frag tank for my buddy, been setup for around a year at a store . . .

Its a zoa/softie tank, the only rock is what the coral are attched to, so very little.

Found this 10" monster lurking when we were setting back up at the new location.

FW dip flushed it out of a rock that looked wayyy to small for it . . .

Its black, has bristles, has another row of leg-like parapodia, and has 4 tentacles for a mouth.

I know I seen em on here before, and a buddy told me the name, but it escapes me right now.

More and better pics to follow, this is from my phone at the store, and my camera needs to charge . . .

I took it home, its gonna live in a jar in my sump B)

This thing is badass

gnarlyworm1.jpg

Im thinkin it's something in the eunice genus (bobbit worms)

It's pretty awesome. What size jar are you going to keep it in and what are you going to feed it?

carbon-mantis

Nice big eunice you have there. :happy:

Don't think it's a bobbit worm (Eunice aphroditois) though. Along with the tentacles they have huge "jaws."

Look like Bob

IMG_7217.jpg

Definately a Eunice worm

She beat me to it!

Bob is a monster Eunice Worm that I mailed to arwndsh and her husband, and you def have the same thing.

They're shy and will eat anything meaty.

Just be aware...........................................................................

dune_final2-thumb-550x440-21913.jpg

I'm just sayin....................................

danthenewreefman

there are cool videos on youtube of them grabbing stuff going by.

crazy quick and nasty jaws.

CoralWhisperer

Nice, thanks for the name.

Now I remember- unice worm.

As soon as I finish my dinner, Ill post some new pics of it and its new home.

PS- Bob is a looker!

Wow, 10 mins of google while eating and all my questions were answered.

Im keeping it, Imma set it up with its own tank plumbed into the system . . .

eeeeeew...............

Something about big worms like this just get under my skin.. Maybe I've watched too many episodes of "Monsters Inside Me"...

There is somebody for everyone. I am not sure where I would stand in regards to finding something like that in my tank. but I have a pet isopod...chances are I'd keep it. really wicked looking.

CoralWhisperer
feed it! and record it eating! i couldn't find any youtube videos as dan said:(

Yeah, I like where your head is . . .

The vids on yt are mostly diving shots of really big worms in the wild.

There are a bunch, search "eunice worm" and "bobbit worm".

Says wild ones can get up to 10ft long . . .

They dont look like something that I want running loose in my system.

Stories of 4fters coming from tanks, probably what this would turn into eventually . . .

Edit-

I just tried to get a feeding vid, but it didnt go so well.

The worm didnt eat because of me disturbing it.

So I left some food in with it and put it back so it can settle in.

Its gonna need its own tank probably and not a container I keep moving around.

animalmaster6
Something about big worms like this just get under my skin.. Maybe I've watched too many episodes of "Monsters Inside Me"...

:lol:

• 1 year later...
Just be aware...........................................................................

dune_final2-thumb-550x440-21913.jpg

I'm just sayin....................................

Dune ?

Neat Eunice worm, and kudos to everyone who didn't say to immediately kill it!

They are a "bit" too ugly looking for me :-) not to mention that they will decimate your tank and you'll wonder where all your fish and other life forms went as the days go by ...

Nasty HH's for sure but that is how they get in our tanks as I can't think of anyone who would add one knowing what they were adding ...

Based on some videos I saw the larger ones can grab a fish right out of the water and engulf in it a second flat ...

They are a "bit" too ugly looking for me :-) not to mention that they will decimate your tank and you'll wonder where all your fish and other life forms went as the days go by ...

Nasty HH's for sure but that is how they get in our tanks as I can't think of anyone who would add one knowing what they were adding ...

Based on some videos I saw the larger ones can grab a fish right out of the water and engulf in it a second flat ...

Ugly is a subjective term, and I think there is a place for all hitchhikers, even the ones we call "pests." Also, many of the same charges leveled against these worms were used against fire worms and other hitchhikers, where isolated anecdotes (often with only circumstantial evidence) caused mass hysteria for reefkeepers. In the case of Eunicids, everyone keeps mentioning the same stories and same videos, while many of the other posters in this thread have had positive experiences with the same group of worms. All I'm saying is that it's good to see the image of Eunicids rehabilitated from something terrifying into something interesting.

Archived