Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

abreakey's Solana 34g tank thread

adambreakey

Hello everyone -- I have created this thread as a way to journal my experience with nano-reefing with my 34g Solana. As of yesterday I have salt water in my tank along with some of the dead 'reef builders' rock.

Updated 6/22

Tank:

34 gallon Solana (w/ starphire)

Controlled by ReefKeeper Lite

20lbs of ReefBuilders 'dead' rock

Solana stand in black

Current brand light brackets

Lighting:

BoostLED Mu 135w LED fixture

Looking for a Moonlight to add

Substrate:

Bare Bottom Baby

Flow:

MP10es

Stock return pump

Other:

Stock Skimmer

Removed BioBalls

inTank Media Basket

Chemi Pure

Purigen

Manual Top Off (for now)

Titanium Heater

Stocking Plans:

Pair of False Perc Clownfish

1 Firefish

1 Cleaner Shrimp

CUC

Current Coral:

Green, Red and Purple Monti Caps

Very small frag of green millipora

Green Montipora spongodes

Fire and Ice Acans (11-12 heads)

Green Frogspawn (3 heads)

Radioactive Dragon Eye zoas

Tubbs Blue zoas

Gorilla Nipple zoas

Eagle Eye zoas

Video from 6/21/11:

6/22/2011

photo.JPG

--

Here is a pic of the tank as of 2/25. Please excuse the heater being in the display tank and the wires not being tied down yet. I will be completing the clean up of that sort of stuff this weekend. I will be adding one piece of live rock from the LFS also this weekend to get the cycle started.

2/25/2011

photo%20(1).JPG

adambreakey

Thanks everyone -- the tank is now in mid-cycle. My parameters are looking good. My kids are ready for 'nemo' to be added... but I constantly tell them we need to move slowly. Nemo will be here, but not for a few weeks.

I am trying to do this right, slow, simple, good products, good advice. If anyone sees me take a misstep, please let me know! :-)

Thanks again.

Adam

adambreakey

Here is the aquascape as of today. I have one large live rock and a couple of pieces of live rock rubble in there right now. The cycle has begun - ammonia is up to 0.25 and the Nitrites are slowly rising, they are now at 0.1-0.25. --- My PH is sitting at 8.0.

Anyway -- here are a couple of pics.

photo%20(2).JPG

photo%20(3).JPG

• 3 months later...
adambreakey

Here is an update. This is a video (with some still pics) that I just made last night. It shows the current status of the tank. Please excuse the bright white rocks, I just added those last week and they have yet to color up. I like the height they add to the aquascape a lot.

What do you think?

- Adam

adambreakey
tank looks great. Your clown fish seem to like that one corner have they started laying eggs?

Thanks for the compliment. I am pleased with the progress.

No eggs yet - but you are right, the larger clown loves to stay in that calm dark corner. The smaller one spends much of the day swimming about the tank, but the big one only really comes out to feed. I was thinking shyness was the reason, but I am not certain.

- Adam

i'm new to all of this so take everything i say with a grain of saltwater but the bigger one is the girl and it looks like she is nesting. It may take a few months for them to settle in but i'm willing to bet when she finally does lay down a bunch of eggs it will be in that corner. I would take it less as a sign of shyness and more of a sign that she is happy in your little corner of the ocean.

adambreakey

Here are a couple of pics of my new frags in their new home:

Gorilla Nips with the Tubbs blue in the foreground:

IMG_3626.JPG

Very Happy Tubbs Blue Zoas:

IMG_3624.JPG

The Fire and Ice Acan loving life in the Solana:

IMG_3634.JPG

All of the new frags shown in context with each other:

IMG_3628.JPG

And the FTS:

photo.JPG

I want more zoas/palys for the right side rock, which will eventually hopefully be a beautiful 'garden'.

Thanks again for the compliments.

- Adam

adambreakey

Yep -- I had to laugh also when I heard Gorilla Nipples was the name of them. But after looking at them, it makes a lot of sense!

- Adam

adambreakey

I finally bit the bullet and ordered a Tunze Osmolator ATO system. It is scheduled to be in later this week. I am looking forward to an automated top off system rather than my current manual top off system. After adding this, I feel I will have a decent setup with some great products. Someday I might upgrade the stock skimmer, but I am in no hurry.

My connector for my RKL temp probe broke this weekend, so I had to order a replacement - oh and I added some moon lights (LED) to the order, so those will be in soon as well.

Now we wait for things to grow! My zoas are currently growing like crazy, especially the dragon and eagle eyes! Oh, and my frogspawn is now spawning its 4th head! Things are going well... knock on wood!

- Adam

• 2 weeks later...
adambreakey
Are you scraping your coralline algae off ?...

No -- I guess the pics don't show it well... but it is actually growing like crazy.

Don't forget that this tank was started with all dead marco rock with one small piece of live rock to seed it.

- Adam

No -- I guess the pics don't show it well... but it is actually growing like crazy.

Don't forget that this tank was started with all dead marco rock with one small piece of live rock to seed it.

- Adam

that doesn't really matter just add 5ml of Mag twice a week and you will have so much purple in a month you'd think Barney was in your tank...lol..

• 1 month later...

Here are some updated pics of the tank. Things are going well - new zoas in the garden, spongodes growing well, monti caps looking healthy, milli is encrusting.... all is well. On to the pics....

FTS_AUG11.JPG

orangePaly.JPG

pinkring.JPG

pinks%2520and%2520greens.JPG

blueYellows.JPG

KedsRed.JPG

TubbsBlue.JPG

zoagarden.JPG

Archived