Cultivated Reef

34G DSB Solana

j2me5ku

This is a journal of my 1st Generation Solana 34G Tank. I would like to share my experiences with the community and ask for specific advice through my thread. Please keep in mind that this will most likely be a very slow build (Sorry)

I decided to make a DSB Solana because I wanted to keep a Pearly Jawfish.

Here is the setup:

Equipment List:

1st Gen Solana 34G Cube with Solana Modern Black Stand

20" 150W Sunpod HQI with 14K Phoenix Bulb

Neptune Systems Aquacontroller Jr.

Azoo Quad Cooling Fans

Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155

All Glass Aquarium 100W Heater

Tunze 9002 Nano Skimmer (1st Gen)

Tunze Magnet (6025.500) - for Nano Skimmer

Tunze Nano Pump (0800.040) - for Tunze Skimmer

InTank Tunze Collection Cup

InTank Solana Media Basket

Ecotech Vortech MP10es Wireless

Window Screen Kit

BRS Deluxe Carbon/GFO Reactor

Tunze Osmolator Magnet (3155.600)**

Tunze Silence Recirculation Pump (1073.020) - Return Pump**

1/2" Hosebarb Tee Fitting - (to tee off return pump to BRS Reactor)**

Livestock List:

~25lbs of Dry Rock (Mixture of Fiji, Vanuatu, & Tonga Branch)

~50-60lbs of Sand (Aragonite Fiji Pink, Tropic Isle Tahitian Moon, & Florida Crushed Coral)

Pearly (Yellowheaded) Jawfish**

Neon Goby**

Longfind (Threadfin) Cardinals**

1-2 Clams**

Coral List:

Mainly softies and LPS**

** denotes future purchases

Since I had about 30-40lbs of dry rock, I went ahead and created my rockscape. I cut a piece of eggcrate to the dimension of the display to get a better idea of the space I'm going to be working in. I wanted it to be open with a lot of archways and canyons for the fish to swim through.

I plan to put the eggcrate on the bottom to help prevent the rock from cracking the glass in case the risers fail or rock falls over from the jawfish tunneling.

Front view:

IMG00082-20110215-2031.jpg

Front Right Corner View:

IMG00083-20110215-2031.jpg

Top Down View:

IMG00085-20110215-2033.jpg

Archway:

IMG00086-20110215-2035.jpg

Since I'm planning to get a jawfish, I made stands for my rockscape out of PVC fittings I had lying around. I used epoxy to bond them to the rock.

PVC Risers mounted with Epoxy:

IMG00084-20110215-2032.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pictures - they were taken with my Blackberry

I currently have about 30-35lbs of sand that is drying out. I recently rinsed it with tap water until the water ran clear. When it dries, I plan to wash it again with tap and thereafter rinse with RO/DI water.

*edit: still learning how to use the forums - sorry!

If you can, I'd get it in a container of saltwater (and a powerhead) and seed it with some sand from another tank. By the time you are ready for it, it will have a decent population of bacteria (and possibly other life). It might even help prevent a large diatom bloom in your display tank. Just a thought.

If you can, I'd get it in a container of saltwater (and a powerhead) and seed it with some sand from another tank. By the time you are ready for it, it will have a decent population of bacteria (and possibly other life). It might even help prevent a large diatom bloom in your display tank. Just a thought.

I'll keep that in mind. I really want to make sure that the sand is completely clean of any gunk because I used to have terrible problems with algae.

Thanks for stopping by!

• 2 weeks later...

sorry for the long and overdue update...been really busy but here are some pics of the sand and rock in the tank.

IMG00112-20110301-2011.jpg

FTS

IMG00116-20110301-2013.jpg

Left

IMG00115-20110301-2012.jpg

Right

IMG00117-20110301-2014.jpg

a couple of updates. i've decided to part with the BRS reactor because i wanted to simplify the set up. i've decided to be more vigilant with my water changes and monitor the water chemistry.

now i have to look for a reputable LFS to get some live sand or rock to seed the tank.

i just ordered StevieT's Tunze inTank Collection Cup, Solana Media Basket, and some other goodies.

i plan to use purigen & chemi-pure elite for now. i'm still considering using the refugium set up with chaeto in the second chamber with the new JBJ Nano-Glo LED Light. we'll see based on my water parameters

hopefully all the stuff will be here next week.

• 2 weeks later...

just received my StevieT's inTank Tunze Collection Cup, Media Basket, Solana glass supports, and poly filter.

i'll take pics when i get home tonight.

thx StevieT!

also, picked up a small live rock and cup of sand from Norman's Reef in torrance to seed the tank.

i'll probably buy the rest of the equipment at the end of the month.

just received my StevieT's inTank Tunze Collection Cup, Media Basket, Solana glass supports, and poly filter.

i'll take pics when i get home tonight.

thx StevieT!

no Thank you! and omgomgomg because I was told to do so.

Enjoy

sorry to keep you guys waiting, but here are pictures of the goodies from inTank

Tada.jpg

Boxed and labeled well

GreenPackaging.jpg

Going green with packaging by using poly filter as cushion *thumbs up!

TightPackaging.jpg

everything else packed nice and tight

Supports.jpg

Solana glass supports

Tunze.jpg

Tunze Collection Cup

MB-1.jpg

Media Basket - I slide up the panel so that people can get an idea of how media is placed in the basket. Kinda hard to see.

just got paid, so i purchased a few goodies from marinedepot. they should be here by tomorrow or wednesday. i'll post pics when i get them

boxes.jpg

i love living so close to marine depot. if i order before 3PM PST, i literally get next day delivery without paying for it. WINNING!

so you're probably wondering what i bought...well here it is!

chemi.jpg

Chemi-Pure Elite, Purigen, API Saltwater Testkit, and Prodibio Start Up 6 Vials, IO Reef Crystals 200 gal Box(not pictured)

i saved the best for last...

Vortech.jpg

Ecotech Marine Vortech MP-10w ES

I can't wait to go home to test this bad boy out. I'll post pics when I install it at home.

Most of us that have the 34G Solana are going with the Larger AI fixture. I think the nano might be a little small. I pre-ordered from the wrong site since most sites got their shipment this week and mine will not arrive until next week.

I went ahead and ordered the hanging kit and will marry it to my Current USA hanging kit that I already have installed. I will post pics once the damn thing comes in!

Most of us that have the 34G Solana are going with the Larger AI fixture. I think the nano might be a little small. I pre-ordered from the wrong site since most sites got their shipment this week and mine will not arrive until next week.

I went ahead and ordered the hanging kit and will marry it to my Current USA hanging kit that I already have installed. I will post pics once the damn thing comes in!

i was afraid i was going to hear that...i guess we'll see what the coverage is on the nano and i'll decide then. i don't plan to keep any light intense coral so i might be able to pass by with the nano.

so i rushed home and installed my new vortech MP-10. all i can say is that im very impressed. im happy i made the buy.

IMG00165-20110322-2020.jpg

here it is installed.

IMG00168-20110322-2021.jpg

controller mounted with the rest.

API Test

Ammonia - 0PPM

Nitrite - 0PPM

Nitrate - 10PPM

looks like my cycle finished. i'll do a WC this weekend and start the prodibio start up vials.

i'm having microbubble issues and its coming from my Tunze Nano Skimmer.

Here's the skematics:

chamber 1 - Tunze Nano Skimmer with InTank Collection Cup

chamber 2 - InTank Media Basket with poly filter, purigen, and chemi-pure elite

chamber 3 - maxijet 900 return

I know its not coming from my return, because I didnt have problems with microbubbles until i put the skimmer online when i got the collection cup. the water line is above the return outlet in chamber 3 and it stays constant at that level cuz of my tunze osmolator.

has anyone come up with a way to stop the microbubbles flowing thru from chamber 1 to chamber 3?

i was thinking of putting the stock grate ontop of media basket and add another layer of poly filter. it's redundant but at least ill have ultra clear water without microbubbles.

i did some work this weekend. i did a 5gal WC and made a top screen out of a window screen kit at home depot. i used bird netting instead of regular window mesh.

i still have microbubble issues, but im going to try something next week when i do a WC. i plan to use the default top screen and place the polyfilter on top instead of the top chamber of the media basket. i figure that this will also allow me to use the top most chamber in my media basket for something else. not exactly sure, but if i could put some chaeto in there, i think it'll make the media basket 10x better!

i plan to pick up on a 10gal at petsmart or petco for my quarantine tank. I'll probably let that cycle for a bit with a lot of small rubble pieces and some pvc piping i saved up for the pearly jawfish.

i'm looking into getting a CUC soon.

with a 4" SB, would 10 nassarius, 10 astreas, and 1 tongan fighting conch be an effective CUC?

Archived