Cultivated Reef

Stealth Pro Heaters (and discontinued Stealth line) to be taken off shelves

timdanger

Reefbuilders has a new post up with a letter from the distributor of the Marineland Stealth Pro and Stealth heaters suggesting a "voluntary suspension of sale . . . out of an abundance of caution," which appears to be coming in the wake of some reports of failures (though United Pet Group, Inc. hasn't publicly stated this).

Reefbuilders suggests taking the affected heaters (listed in the letter) out of your tank.

awesome, that is related information.

This discusses not only the Stealth Pro, but others from that line as well. It shows the actual letter from UPG and lists the products in question (as well as the products not affected). And, this isn't a petsmart voluntary recall.

(as an example of why this is important to distinguish is that I do not have any heater listed in the petsmart voluntary recall, but i do have 3 products listed in the UPG letter).

for starters, because this is not the same thing as a Petsmart-specific voluntary recall of only Stealth Pro heaters.

obviously related to what you posted, but if i were looking for information on whether my non-pro stealth heater retailer was affected, i wouldn't necessarily expect to find that information on page 3 of "voluntary recall of stealth pro heaters" thread. not saying i couldn't post it there, but i'm also saying it's not exactly an egregious mistake to have said this in it's own thread.

I have the all-black with a red knob on top...no light...100w stealth. Is this one that should be returned? I don't have the box, so I'm not sure of the model.

The letter from UPG (reproduced in the Reefbuilders post) lists the model number affected. If you are talking about the ETP100 (I have one of those as well), that would appear to be an affected model number. I don't know that you'll be able to return it anywhere as I personally haven't heard of any recall, but that Reefbuilders post suggested discontinuing use.

I am going to replace all 3 of my Stealths (2 ETP250s (250w) and 1 ETP100 (100w)).

The letter from UPG (reproduced in the Reefbuilders post) lists the model number affected. If you are talking about the ETP100 (I have one of those as well), that would appear to be an affected model number. I don't know that you'll be able to return it anywhere as I personally haven't heard of any recall, but that Reefbuilders post suggested discontinuing use.

I am going to replace all 3 of my Stealths (2 ETP250s (250w) and 1 ETP100 (100w)).

mine works perfectly fine. set at 75, water stays at 75.

I have the all-black with a red knob on top...no light...100w stealth. Is this one that should be returned? I don't have the box, so I'm not sure of the model.

I have one of these and I did not have any problems for 3+ years. I did not have it fully submersed though. I recently bought a jager to replace it just to be safe.

wow thx for this thread. i got one i actually almost electricuted myself when i put my hand in the water. it was alot more than the little nip or bite from a small shock. it was scary. and i just bought 2 new 150w heaters to replace the one that almost done me in.

Reefbuilders has an updated statement from UPG here.

"From UPG’s legal department:

Why has PetSmart pulled these products while you haven’t recalled?

During a routine review of our customer service records UPG identified a higher than average return rate for certain models of Stealth and Stealth Pro heaters. United Pet Group voluntarily contacted CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) as there may be a potential issue with these heaters. We are working with CPSC to determine the appropriate next steps and have asked our retailers to refrain from selling these products at this time. As always, customer satisfaction is our top priority and UPG stands behind our products and our warranty. Any consumer who is unhappy with their product should contact UPG at (800) 338-4896 and we will make every effort to resolve any problems."

Reefbuilders has an updated statement from UPG here.

"From UPG’s legal department:

Why has PetSmart pulled these products while you haven’t recalled?

During a routine review of our customer service records UPG identified a higher than average return rate for certain models of Stealth and Stealth Pro heaters. United Pet Group voluntarily contacted CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) as there may be a potential issue with these heaters. We are working with CPSC to determine the appropriate next steps and have asked our retailers to refrain from selling these products at this time. As always, customer satisfaction is our top priority and UPG stands behind our products and our warranty. Any consumer who is unhappy with their product should contact UPG at (800) 338-4896 and we will make every effort to resolve any problems."

Wow this is great reading material. At least they have come out and admitted that they have issues and are trying to resolve them. Instead of trying to cover it up

Wow this is great reading material. At least they have come out and admitted that they have issues and are trying to resolve them. Instead of trying to cover it up

They're a Blacksburg-based company, located right next to Virginia Tech's campus. I like that about them!

I do hope they get this worked out, but in the meantime, I just bought 3 Jager heaters for myself from Big Al's (they are on sale, plus you can get 10% off with the code "nanoreef" and free shipping if your order is over $75).

I just received an e-mail from Dr.FS stating they are doing a voluntary recall of the heaters also. They are offering a free replacement of either the Marineland Visi-Therm Heater or the Fluval M Submersible heater. I called the 1-800 number and the lady was very nice and took car of everything, i have a brand new Marineland Visi-Therm heater coming in the mail for free with a shipping label so that i can send back my Stealth Pro heater. I do hope they get the issues with the Stealth heaters worked out though because I like the way they look more than other heaters and i like how they are shatter proof.

I just received an e-mail from Dr.FS stating they are doing a voluntary recall of the heaters also. They are offering a free replacement of either the Marineland Visi-Therm Heater or the Fluval M Submersible heater. I called the 1-800 number and the lady was very nice and took car of everything, i have a brand new Marineland Visi-Therm heater coming in the mail for free with a shipping label so that i can send back my Stealth Pro heater. I do hope they get the issues with the Stealth heaters worked out though because I like the way they look more than other heaters and i like how they are shatter proof.

are they doing both the Stealth and the Stealth Pro? I need to figure out where I bought mine from.

Archived