inTank Media Baskets

Cdog's 50g Shallow Rimless

fmfa0801

After buying a brand new 50g rimless tank , I cracked the bottom during transport. I fixed it by filling the 2 cracks with silicone and setting a 1/4 glass on top of it.I paid for the glass to be cut and siliconed that all up. DIY stand with stained pine top. Im combining both of my tanks into this.

Current FTS 2/22/2011

image-77.jpg

Equipment:
50g 39x19x16
Kent Marine Nautius ex skimmer rated at 400gal.
CPR CS100 800 GPH overflow
1xVortech MP10 ES
5x Evils PAR38s 20k w/40 degree optics. Mounting with track lighting hung from ceiling
23g Sump

Livestock:
2 grade A picasso's
2 Snowflakes
1 Black circus goby Went Carpet Surfing
1 Pistol shrimp

Coral:
2 RBTA
1 Carpet Nem
1 Flower pot
SPS
zoas
GSP

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Idea to fix the bottom. Im surprised no said that when you were asking about replacing it.

Looking good

Holy overkill. Better draw up a hefty fish list!

What is overkill??

so i guess the big question is...... does it still hold water?

Yes I leaked tested it for 4-5 days no problems

What is overkill??

Yes I leaked tested it for 4-5 days no problems

The stand and skimmer are both overkill. Not a bad thing for either though, and as an engineer i would do the same!

Good idea fixing the tank like that, no one will ever know the difference.

Caution!!! Since you had to add the glass over the original bottom I would highly recommend you place the light diffuser aka egg crate looking stuff on the bottom then your rock and sand. The reason for this is the voids between the tank bottom and the false bottom due to the silicone along with the false bottom only being 1/4" you will stand a good chance of breaking or cracking the 1/4 glass. I know I did the same thing and cracked the 1/4" glass.

Im waiting on a order to come in. Im getting a Quiet One 5000 pump 1330GPH for the skimmer, CPR CS100 overflow 800GPH & aqua lifter pump, going to pick up a used sump tomorrow. I still have to finish my stand lol. Im have my first little one due in july :D and closing on a new house now so its a slow build but should pick up.

• 2 weeks later...

OK I made the sides for the stand and stained it. All I have to do is seal the sides.I made it where you can slide out the sides to get below. This allows for me to get access to all 3 sides. I plumbed the skimmer and overflow with PVC. I used 45 degree elbows for the overflow. Should I use 90 degree elbows instead? I have to paint or put limo tint for the background.

image-65.jpg

image-66.jpg

image-68.jpg

image-67.jpg

image-54.jpg

image-53.jpg

image-69.jpg

image-70.jpg

image-71.jpg

image-58.jpg

image-63.jpg

image-55.jpg

image-56.jpg

image-59.jpg

image-61.jpg

image-60.jpg

Im going to be swapping both of my tanks that have been running for a year+. All the rock, sand and coral will be going in. Im probably going to add another 20 or 40 pounds of live sand in the bag for the LFS. Will this cause a cycle or a mini cycle??

Im going to be swapping both of my tanks that have been running for a year+. All the rock, sand and coral will be going in. Im probably going to add another 20 or 40 pounds of live sand in the bag for the LFS. Will this cause a cycle or a mini cycle??

Probably will cause a mini cycle. I don't recommend moving the sand over. Just get all new sand.

If moving the existing sand bed you will stir up accumulated detritus which may add to a mini cycle or more.

You can rinse it out well and reuse it, or just purchase new aragonite.

Thank you. I might take a scoop or two of old sand to help seed the new stuff. Now for the over flow PVC is it fine to use 2x 45 degree elbows and 1x 90 degree to drain into the filter sock at the end or should I use all 90 degrees?

Archived