inTank Media Baskets

Power Supply for LEDs?

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

Hello All,

I'm planning an LED build with one of four configurations (likely one of the first two, possibly option three or four after I receive my true violet LED's from nanotuners).  I have two power supplies. They are 12 volts 1.2 amps.

a6898a91-ff6a-f753.jpg

Will they be enough for these setups?

3 Cree XR-E RB on a 1000mA dimmable BuckPuck and a 12 volt DC fan on one power supply.

2 Cree XR-E NW on a 1000mA dimmable BuckPuck and 1 Cree XR-E CB on a 500mA dimmable BuckPuck on the other power supply. 

4 Cree XR-E RB on a 1000mA dimmable BuckPuck and a 12 volt DC fan on one power supply.

2 Cree XR-E's NW on a 1000mA dimmable BuckPuck on the other power supply. 

3 Cree XR-E RB on a 1000mA dimmable BuckPuck and a 12 volt DC fan on one power supply.

2 Cree XR-E NW on a 1000mA dimmable BuckPuck and 1 Cree XR-E CB & 2 Nanotuners TV on a 500mA dimmable BuckPuck on the other power supply.

4 Cree XR-E RB on a 1000mA dimmable BuckPuck and a 12 volt DC fan on one power supply.

2 Cree XR-E NW on a 1000mA dimmable BuckPuck and 2 Nanotuners TV on a 500mA dimmable BuckPuck on the other power supply.

Thanks in advance!

Mr. M

Mr. Microscope

Anyone?

I also have this power supply. It says 18volt 4.9amp, but it also says AC adapter on top. It was for a laptop. I thought these were supposed to be DC adapters.

18voltpowersuppply.jpg

Mr. Microscope

Thanks! Yes, I think I understand now. The driver pulls out whatever forward voltage the LEDs need, but can only pull out what the power supply can give. So, I think I could safely use a 12 volt power supply with 3 LEDs, but I would probably need something a little higher for 4 or more LEDs.

..I think.

My new plan is to run 4 RBs (1000mA driver) on the 18 volt power supply, and 2 NW (1000mA driver) and 1 CB (500mA driver) on a 12 volt power supply. Unfortunately, I'll have to fun my 12 volt fan on a separate power supply unless I get a resistor to run between it and the 18 volt PS. I wanted to have the RBs and fan on the same power supply (dusk dawn timing), but I guess I'll just plug them into the same timer.

Though, I'm still a little cloudy on what the difference would be in running a 12 volt 1.2 amp PS Vs. a 12 volt 2 amp PS.

the amperage of the PS will determine the maximum current you can draw from it, so you could run up to two 1000ma drivers on the 2 amp, although that would be pushing the maximum limits of the PS, so we dont usually do that, running two 700ma is more practical

Mr. Microscope

Ah..So, running both my 1000mA and 500mA drivers on one 1.2 amp PS won't work.. D'oh! Gonna have to find something else.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Archived