Top Shelf Aquatics

Circulation in a 46 Gallon Bow Front Reef Tank

FLNanoReefer

I currently have 2 Maxi-Jet 900's in addition to the canister filter and the Aqua C Remora Pro in my 46 Gallon Bow Front Reef Tank. I do not think that I have enough flow because I see a ton of detritus on the sand and the sand bed is very dirty. I wanted to order some new power heads tonight or tomorrow and I was wondering what I should get. I was thinking about getting 2 Hydor Koralia 2's. Is this enough or too much? Would it be better to get 1's, 2's, or 3's. I plan on keeping softies and LPS corals. I would love to keep SPS but I can't keep them until I upgrade my lighting (which will be in the distant future). I would love to get a Vortech but I don't have the funds right now. Any input as soon as possible is greatly appreciated!!

You could always try modding the maxi-jets. That should save you a bit.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...mp;pagenumber=1

I wanted to buy new ones. I want a clean look that doesn't stick out in the tank. That modification is a pretty cool idea though.

I used to have 3 K2's and a 1260 return.

Now I have an MP40, MP10 and the 1260 return. Granted, the MP40 is turned way down :)

Do you think that 2 K2's would be enough for softies and LPS? 1800 gph plus the skimmer and canister filter seems like a lot (39 times turnover). 2 K2's would be a bit more than 1200 gph or 26 times turnover.

ANY MORE ADVICE OR INPUT??

I wanted to buy new ones. I want a clean look that doesn't stick out in the tank. That modification is a pretty cool idea though.

Do you think that 2 K2's would be enough for softies and LPS? 1800 gph plus the skimmer and canister filter seems like a lot (39 times turnover). 2 K2's would be a bit more than 1200 gph or 26 times turnover.

ANY MORE ADVICE OR INPUT??

I just found the off the shelf mod kits, didn't realise when I posted you could buy them off the shelf. For less than $15 a piece, I wouldn't bother with that DIY either.

That won't be as much flow as it sounds. The flow from the Koralia pumps is broad and gentle unlike the blast from the unmodified maxijets. Unless you are getting the pumps for a very low price, I would still go with the mods and save the money for someting else (RODI, Vortech, Salt, Coral.......).

IMO 2xK2=Low Flow, 2xK3=Moderate Flow. That said, most LPS and softies do not need particlularly high flow and should be OK whatever you choose. Can you post a current FTS showing the detritus build up?

2 k2s might be sufficient. I think detritus build up will have to deal more with WHERE you place the pumps and now how many you add. However, I would still go with 3 k2s

I just found the off the shelf mod kits, didn't realise when I posted you could buy them off the shelf. For less than $15 a piece, I wouldn't bother with that DIY either.

That won't be as much flow as it sounds. The flow from the Koralia pumps is broad and gentle unlike the blast from the unmodified maxijets. Unless you are getting the pumps for a very low price, I would still go with the mods and save the money for someting else (RODI, Vortech, Salt, Coral.......).

IMO 2xK2=Low Flow, 2xK3=Moderate Flow. That said, most LPS and softies do not need particlularly high flow and should be OK whatever you choose. Can you post a current FTS showing the detritus build up?

I've seen the mod kits on Drs. Foster and Smith Aquatics. I would rather buy new pumps as I would like to use the old ones for a ATO system and to cure some rock in a bucket when I get it.

What do you think would be the best for my situation? I will try to post a FTS tonight.

2 k2s might be sufficient. I think detritus build up will have to deal more with WHERE you place the pumps and now how many you add. However, I would still go with 3 k2s

Check out my tank thread in my signature to see where I have the pumps. There is basically detritus everywhere on the sand bed. What do you think about getting 2 K3's?

I had a look at your tank thread earlier. Can you post a current picture of the sand bed? The picture in your first post shows us that you had lots of diatoms but that was a month ago and quite normal for a new tank. It also shows the Maxijets high up in the tank and blowing across the display so you are probably right about having low flow on the sand bed. I would like to see the sand bed as it is today just for the sake of knowing exactly what you want to deal with (diatoms, detritus, cyanobacteria?).

If you need more pumps then by all means buy some Koralias. I'd personally go with three K2's. One up high disrupting the surface for gas exchange, one up high but pointing down and forwards to stir the water infront of the rock work and one down low for good flow on the substrate.

I had a look at your tank thread earlier. Can you post a current picture of the sand bed? The picture in your first post shows us that you had lots of diatoms but that was a month ago and quite normal for a new tank. It also shows the Maxijets high up in the tank and blowing across the display so you are probably right about having low flow on the sand bed. I would like to see the sand bed as it is today just for the sake of knowing exactly what you want to deal with (diatoms, detritus, cyanobacteria?).

If you need more pumps then by all means buy some Koralias. I'd personally go with three K2's. One up high disrupting the surface for gas exchange, one up high but pointing down and forwards to stir the water infront of the rock work and one down low for good flow on the substrate.

Sorry but I didn't get a chance to get a picture of the tank tonight. I will take one in the morning and post as soon as possible.

Thanks for your input about the Koralia's. What do you think about the Koralia Evolutions? Do you think that a 750 and a Nano 450 would be enough? The plus to these is that I could put them on a wave maker if I decided I wanted to.

I WOULD LOVE MORE INPUT!!

I would at least get 2 Evo 750s and skip the nano. I have a 750 and a modified maxijet in a 40B and it's okay but I would like slightly more flow.

What type of modifications did you make to your Maxi-Jet? Do you run them on a wave maker?

It looks like MarineandReef.com has their Hydor Koralia Evolution 750 gph's on sale. Check out the link. They are only $30.99. I could get 2 and then run them on a wave maker in the future. I think that is enough flow. What do you guys think? Have you had good experiences with Marine and Reef? It looks like a pretty good deal!! LMK what you think!!

What type of modifications did you make to your Maxi-Jet? Do you run them on a wave maker?

It's Sure flow kit on a 600. I don't have them on a wave maker but might add one once I figure out the Arduino business. For what it's worth, once you buy the kit and the magnet mount that is highly recommended, it's not much less than buying a Koralia, But if you already have the MJ it's quite nice to reuse perfectly good equipment.

From their site:

Maxi-Jet - 400 1300 GPH

Maxi-Jet - 600 1400 GPH

Maxi-Jet - 900 1600 GPH

Maxi-Jet - 1200 1600 GPH

Maxi-Jet - 1200 2100 GPH (large white propeller)

Thanks. That is what I thought. I wanted to get some new power heads so that I could use the older ones for other purposes. I have a newbie question. What is Arduino business?

...just my two cent's....sometimes it's not the power but the direction you point them.

Be sure to point them co-currently and one more towards the bottom, if ye want.

At times, I have placed a small PH on the bottom in the back...just to keep everything moving.

Also, what and how often do you feed?...maybe they aren't eating everything and/or pooping too much. <_<

Do you have a cleaning crew,?...i.e., shrimp, snails, crabs etc.

Sorry if you have covered all these bases already, just things that I thought of.

What is Arduino business?

Computer chips, software and also LED's...

...just my two cent's....sometimes it's not the power but the direction you point them.

Be sure to point them co-currently and one more towards the bottom, if ye want.

At times, I have placed a small PH on the bottom in the back...just to keep everything moving.

Also, what and how often do you feed?...maybe they aren't eating everything and/or pooping too much. <_<

Do you have a cleaning crew,?...i.e., shrimp, snails, crabs etc.

Sorry if you have covered all these bases already, just things that I thought of.

Computer chips, software and also LED's...

That is what I thought about the current too but I have now determined it is not enough flow. There is always stuff on the bottom regardless of where the power heads are.

I no longer have any fish so I am not feeding anything. My current CUC is 10 blue/red legged hermit crabs, 7 cerith snails, 3 nassarius snails, and 1 blood red fire shrimp. There are also a few hitch hiker snails that I have not identified. Input is greatly appreciated!!

Archived