Innovative Marine Aquariums

skeeters fluval edge macro/mangrove tank

skeeters

newtany010.jpg

Equipment:

Left the hang on filter, removed the sponge added filter floss, modified a bag of chemi-pure elite and tied to second part and tied purigen to the top of the little media basket.

I changed the halogen bulbs to mr11 LED's from Home Depot. Just outdoor 5000 to 5500 k.

I added a Hamilton actinic strip to cut out the yellow. Put electrical tape in canopy to help reflect light.

Added a 65K 27 watt PC to the tank.

newtany011.jpg

I then added a true lumen 1200K led strip. I didn't care what it looked like inside cause the canopy covers it all thank God.

muf006.jpg

blue.jpg]

march03004.jpg

march03005.jpg

march03006.jpg

march03007.jpg

march03008.jpg

march03009.jpg

march03011.jpg

Livestock:

fire fish, White Banded Possum Wrasse, damsel, sexy shrimp, feather dusters and a hermit crab.

Corals:

Just buttons, monti

Macros:

Some money plants, fire fern, flame algae, codium, red titan, mangrove, mermaids fan so the crabs don't eat them and some chaeto which the crabs keep trimmed.

firefern-2.jpg

mermaidsfan-1.jpg

I do a 10% water change every week with coralife salt. Very easy to setup and extra lights were cheap. Easy to clean. Just make sure you take a few cups of water out before putting hands in. Glad I read that first on nano-reef.

Thanks to reefcleaners.org

Thanks to all. It's the easiest tank I have. I was worried at first, but it's doing great with the lighting and filtration is good. You got to know your limits though. I'm going to add a few acans but nothing to make life hard. Evaporation is very very little. I wish I could say the same for my BC 29. Lot's more work but lot's more stuff.

I love this look. I was thinking about going with display macros in my 2.5G but think it'll make the tank unbalanced. Maybe my next tank.

The mix of macros that you're running is precisely what John recommended to me for my tank.

Yeah, the macros work great. I was going to do macro only but added corals. I have emerald crabs so John said any calcified macros are good. They never touch them. Fire fern, flame algae, money plant, and mermaids fan.

• 2 months later...

how's the lighting look if you take away the desk lamp?

love these tanks but the lighting seems so difficult.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a deal to me!

And your tank is making me do some serious reconsidering about my edge... I may have to shift over to a macro tank instead of corals :wizard:

It will not be long. Just keep looking. You pay shipping that's all.

I'd love some codium and anything else that I don't have if you're fragging! LMK

btw the tank is looking great with those awesome new macros :P

macro tank in an edge is a joke. very easy. i already have a reef tank so didn't want two. i actually like the macro tank more. i will pm you when i start fragging it out. shouldn't be long cause the codium is growing like a weed.

I'd love some codium and anything else that I don't have if you're fragging! LMK

btw the tank is looking great with those awesome new macros :P

You get the codium for free and free shipping. Thanks for those sweet red macros.

• 1 month later...

Archived