Innovative Marine Aquariums

63 liters (16,5 gallons) by Arcus

Arcus

Hi to all nano reefers and greetings from Balcan ;)

Im presenting you my first reef. Im bigginer and I have no expirience in nano reefing.

Also I dont have much corals in tank. Tank started at November 20th 2010.

I hope you will understand my english mistakes when I made them :D

Equipment:

Tank: DIY 45x40x35 (cm) - 63 liters - 16,5 gallons

Lighting: 3x18W Wave Slaris Marine

Powerheads: 1x300l/h + 1x600l/h

Skimmer: no

Heater: Atman 200W

Rock: 60% tropic rocks, 20% adriatic rocks and 20% reef ceramic - total about 7 kilos (15 pounds)

Other: Aquaclear 50 hang-on filter with active carbon

Chemistry: Purple up, ZooPlex & PhytoPlex, JBL iodine

Livescock:

Nothing so far. It is still cycling.

Later I will put two clownfishs and snails.

Water change: 10 liters (2,6 gallons) every week

Tropic and adriatic rocks come from friends stable reef. I was also using friends water in every second waterchanging.

Photography: Canon EOS 500D + Canon 100mm macro lens + standard 18-55mm lens

Im making much better macro photos than with standard lens.

Cant catch beautiful colours with standard lens :angry:

Nice macro shots!

Thanks. Im also beginner in photography and Im not satisfied with colours.

Cant take colours like they really are :(

Im will bought some nice frags in few days like: red blastomussa, purple-blue ricordea florida and some zoas also. Plan is to collect colourful non-demanding soft corals like zoas,ricordeas, acanthastreas etc.

You probably never will get the colors as in the tank on camera, so you could do some easy editing. Especially when shooting with DSLR. I have the same zoas as you do in my tank, and I tweaked your photo a bit in iPhoto (not much to do with so little data in the picture). This is what I came up in my 15 second editing session. :lol:

Original

1__1__2.jpg

Edited:

1__1_.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Update after few months...

I got some new corals:

LPS: unknown big LPS (probably symphyllia. I bought it few days ago in very bad condition for a small prize and I start to feeding them.), achanastrea, lobophilia, chalice, galaxea, pavona cactus...

SPS: different small frags of montipora, acropora...

Im out of Milliput epoxy so there are many corals on sand and I need to paste on rock.

Finally I got new wavemaker 2000l/h and I will install them maby today and remove those Chinese saltwater pumps .

Im thinking about new lightning - 27W Cree LED Bulb. :mellow: There are 3x18W PL Wave solaris lamp and colors o corals are not as the should be just because of lamps. :angry: Also, Im bad in photography :D

More details later.

New corals :D

I need Milliput epoxy, it passed 10 days since its shipped from UK. :angry:

Corals are all over tank and I have no more free space...

I got also: two frags of chalice, purple euphila, and some unknown LPS.

Elegance coral is amazing!

New corals are purple euphyllia and few LPS corals.

On photo are euphyllia and unknown LPS.

ID please of that unknown LPS. Its about one inch in diameter.

Soon more photos... ;)

Thanks. I will make new photo today. Finally I got my Milliput epoxy and I fix rocks and corals. So its not such a mess but there are white milliput spots all over. Im not satisfied with corals colors below my Wave Solaris Marine lamps and Im scared of temperature in summer so I ordered LEDs for my DIY LED project.

Unknown pink-purple coral is acan maxima ;)

Unknown big orange-red LPS is Cynarina lacrymalis - donut coral.

Cant stop making photos of Catalaphyllia and new purple Euphyllia. They are fantastic!

I will change one head of purple euphyllia with friend for some other one. He have more than 20 different euphyllias in collection. So, soon I will have one or two new euphyllias ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Last photo with this lamps. I just got 10 blue and 5 white 3W LEDs and will make new lightining soon.

This lamp cant get real colors of corals and Im not so much good in photography ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Finally I made LED light. Colors are fantastic!!

New photos... Catalaphyllia and Cynarina are amazing corals.

I just got some new zoas. Soon I will make few macro shoots. ;)

New frags and some macro shoots... :)

What is the name of this purple coral? Not euphilia, this small polyp purple-blue coral...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

New photos :)

Currently,I have over 25 species if zoas, 5-6 different palytoas and parazoanthus in two colors (yellow and brown). I just remove Catalaphyllia in bigger tank because clownfish is hosting them.

Soon, some photos of my new zoas :)

post-62204-1320263195_thumb.jpg

post-62204-1320263229_thumb.jpg

post-62204-1320263241_thumb.jpg

post-62204-1320263948_thumb.jpg

Very nice! Looks like your tank and coral selection has changed since the beginning. I see the SPS now. What's your current feeding and dosing schedule like now? What LED configuration did you go with?

• 2 weeks later...
Very nice! Looks like your tank and coral selection has changed since the beginning. I see the SPS now. What's your current feeding and dosing schedule like now? What LED configuration did you go with?

Thanks knoxvegas,

Dosing:

In tank I add only JBL iodine once at week. No other chemistry.

Few days ago I tested Ca and Mg and they were at normal level, I never add them in tank but I do big water changes and don't have much SPS so they are in balance, how much they got in new water that much they use.

Feeding:

Feeding my fishes (2x Ocellaris and one small Mandarin fish) two times at day with different types of frozen food. One-two times in month I add live artemia.

Mandarin is eating frozen food, especially frozen red mosquito larva.

Maitence:

Carbon changing once at month. Water changes every week 10liters.

I never have skimmer in this tank.

I have only few Montiporas in tank. Not much SPS and I don't have in plan to put them more. I will add more zoas and some acans. Maby some ricordeas and few LPS..

Those are some new zoas in my nano. Today are coming "Polar Ice Caps" Zoas. Cant wait midday to go for them :)

post-62204-1321353012_thumb.jpg

post-62204-1321353103_thumb.jpg

post-62204-1321353114_thumb.jpg

Archived