Innovative Marine Aquariums

Questions about Recom RCD-24 driver

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

I found this:

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productde...spx?SKU=3940206

Looks like a good price and gets cheaper for the lower driver current versions. The pdf says it handles up to 7 LEDs in series. Could this be used for just one LED safely? My build will require a dimmable driver for 1, 2, and 3 LEDs (total 3 drivers for 6 LEDs). Also, would I be able to use this with just a pot and power supply or would it require an additional 0-10v powersupply like the meanwell? Also, does it matter what kind of pot I use? 5K Ohm, 10K Ohm, 100K Ohm, etc?

Thanks in advance!

Minimum voltage output is 2v, so yes, you can run just one LED. Manual dimming can be done without the use of an external voltage source. Take a look at the diagram in the top right corner of page 4 of the datasheet. If you use an input voltage that is not 24v, then the resistor value will have to change to drop the right amount of voltage before the 1K pot.

You know you can get Buckpucks much cheaper than that right?

Mr. Microscope
Minimum voltage output is 2v, so yes, you can run just one LED. Manual dimming can be done without the use of an external voltage source. Take a look at the diagram in the top right corner of page 4 of the datasheet. If you use an input voltage that is not 24v, then the resistor value will have to change to drop the right amount of voltage before the 1K pot.

You know you can get Buckpucks much cheaper than that right?

Do the bucks require a 5K pot only (assuming I get the wired without a pot version)? I'm unclear about the resistance of pots. Does it refer to how many revolutions it can turn or something else?

the resistance of pots is the maximum resistance it can put out, the number of turns it takes to do so is another rating, also make sure you get linear taper and not audio taper.

5k is all you need for buckpucks, if you go too high you will only get use out of half of the number of turns which might only be 1 before it shuts the leds off...maybe check out slide pot for more consistant control if you plan on playing with it a lot

Mr. Microscope
the resistance of pots is the maximum resistance it can put out, the number of turns it takes to do so is another rating, also make sure you get linear taper and not audio taper.

5k is all you need for buckpucks, if you go too high you will only get use out of half of the number of turns which might only be 1 before it shuts the leds off...maybe check out slide pot for more consistant control if you plan on playing with it a lot

Thanks doctaq. I didn't realize about linear vs. audio taper. I've been considering slide pots. I've also been thinking about touch pots.

Archived