SaltCritters.com

Hydor Pico Evo

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

Alright, I'm so excited about this that I couldn't just post it my tank thread. My Hydor Pico Evo 180 just arrived in the mail today. I actually caught up with UPS while the truck was on the street on my way home from work. This thing is awesome!

Hydor-Pico-Evo-Mag-180-gph-Circulation-Pump.jpg

From the picture, I thought that it would just be a nice small pump that was easily adjustable, but it comes with an attachment that allows the flow to rotate. Here's a video I took while testing it in the sink:

th_36647902.jpg

The rotation device works without any additional power. The real drawback is that adding the device takes up quite a bit of real-estate. I haven't decided to implement it onto the pump yet, but that may change soon.

It's built solid like the Koralia Nano and has the same magnetic suction cups, but unlike the KN, Hydor claims that the Pico Evo can safely be used with a timer! (Hmm, dare I say 2 on separate timers?) The pump itself is much smaller than the KN (without the rotation device) and has slightly less flow. The flow is also adjustable. Bonus!

I had bought my Evo 1200 and it came with a hydor but I didnt use it because it took away to much flow. I did have it in a biocube so it wasnt directly in the tank. I like them a lot though. Just wish they had better up flow but that wouldnt matter for what you are using it for.

Mr. Microscope
what do you mean by the K nano not being safe with timers? mines on a coralife power center timer...should I be worried?

Yeah, I guess each time it starts there is a chance the motor will go backwards. When this happens, there is a catch in there that stops it and starts it again in the right direction. But each time it hits, you run the risk of breaking it. I guess the more times you start and stop the KN, the worse. At least that's what I've read.

Mr. Microscope
so normal timer power strip breaks K Nano while wavemaker controller thing doesnt break K Nano?

I think the new KNs have the capability to work with a wavemaker, but the old ones will supposedly break over time with frequent on and off. On the pico evo though, it literally has a picture of an outlet timer on it.

so normal timer power strip breaks K Nano while wavemaker controller thing doesnt break K Nano?

other way around: regular koralias (at least not the original models) were not made to be used with wave makers.

• 2 months later...
Alright, I'm so excited about this that I couldn't just post this my tank thread. My Hydor Pico Evo 180 just arrived in the mail today. I actually caught up with UPS while the truck was on the street on my way home from work. This thing is awesome!

Hydor-Pico-Evo-Mag-180-gph-Circulation-Pump.jpg

From the picture, I thought that it would just be a nice small pump that was easily adjustable, but it comes with an attachment that allows the flow to rotate. Here's a video I took while testing it in the sink:

th_36647902.jpg

The rotation device works without any additional power. The real drawback is that adding the device takes up quite a bit of real-estate. I haven't decided to implement it onto the pump yet, but that may change soon.

It's built solid like the Koralia Nano and has the same magnetic suction cups, but unlike the KN, Hydor claims that the Pico Evo can safely be used with a timer! (Hmm, dare I say 2 on separate timers?) The pump itself is much smaller than the KN (without the rotation device) and has slightly less flow. The flow is also adjustable. Bonus!

I am thinking of buying this exact pump to put in the back filter chamber of a 6 gallon aquarium as a recirculation pump.

Can you tell me if it is a quiet pump? Also do you think it has enough power to be used as a recirculation pump for a 6 gallon?

Thanks - Chris

Mr. Microscope
I am thinking of buying this exact pump to put in the back filter chamber of a 6 gallon aquarium as a recirculation pump.

Can you tell me if it is a quiet pump? Also do you think it has enough power to be used as a recirculation pump for a 6 gallon?

Thanks - Chris

I'm not sure how quiet it is. I haven't owned too many pumps to compare it to. I can tell you that it does 180GPH, is adjustable, and without the rotation attachment has a very small footprint. It also seems quite solid. This is my first and only salt water tank. So, I'm not sure if it would work for a 6 gallon or not.

The pico evos are dead silent. My MJ1200 sounds like a diesel truck in comparison to my pico evo 1200. The flow is also very different. The MJ1200 pumps out about twice as fast as pico evo mag 1200 even though they're rated 293gph and 300gph respectively.

Why does this forum let you write a whole reply then when you hit add it tells you then at that point your not logged in and erase all that you wrote :angry:

Anyways I have the HP 180 for about a month now. Great little pump. Super quiet. Great flow. But your right that rotating head takes up way too much room. I just got a KN too and put it in yesterday. The HP180 is easly half the size. Not sure if I like the KN yet. May be too much flow for my 4 gallon. But for the money the HP180 is well worth the money.

Mr. Microscope
Not sure if I like the KN yet. May be too much flow for my 4 gallon. But for the money the HP180 is well worth the money.

Agreed on too much flow with the KN. That is what I used to use. But then, I've heard some say that it's not enough. So, to each their own.

Mr. Microscope
Hey, mine came with the ugly suction cup bracket thing! :angry:

Didn't it have the nice magnetic attachment?

what are the physical dims of this aquatic dildroid?

Physically, it's larger with the rotation thing, but very small without it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived