inTank Media Baskets

Dimmable Driver Options

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

Hello All,

I tried researching this a little first, but about a million unrelated hits come up when you search for driver or driver options. I'm sure this has probably been discussed before, but I'm interested in what's out there.

Are there any drivers that can, say drive more than 6 LEDs, and are simply dimmable without an additional power supply? It'd be nice if there was something that gave you the option to either just hook the pot wires together and make it work on straight current, or hook up a pot directly to the wires without an added power source. I like the simplicity of BuckPucks, but they can only handle so much power and are considered somewhat unrealiable in durability. Meanwells are cool, but the added power supply is an additional cost and a PITA from a space and design standpoint. Also, they seem to be somewhat hard to get a hold of.

So far, I've looked at Luxeon Xitaniums, but they're too expensive and require a 0-10v wall dimmer.

I'm not sure if this one is powerful enough, and I'm not sure about how dimming is controlled, but here's something:

http://www.newark.com/roal-electronics/rld...iver/dp/69R7347

$37

Let's try to keep it around $50 or less.

Finally, does anyone know of any multichannel drivers out there that one could attach separate pots to? Probably a bit more expensive than $50, but worth it if there are any. I know there are some for RGB type setups, but I don't know it the power is out there that we need for our "3Watt" LEDs.

Hello All,

I tried researching this a little first, but about a million unrelated hits come up when you search for driver or driver options. I'm sure this has probably been discussed before, but I'm interested in what's out there.

Are there any drivers that can, say drive more than 6 LEDs, and are simply dimmable without an additional power supply? It'd be nice if there was something that gave you the option to either just hook the pot wires together and make it work on straight current, or hook up a pot directly to the wires without an added power source. I like the simplicity of BuckPucks, but they can only handle so much power and are considered somewhat unrealiable in durability. Meanwells are cool, but the added power supply is an additional cost and a PITA from a space and design standpoint. Also, they seem to be somewhat hard to get a hold of.

So far, I've looked at Luxeon Xitaniums, but they're too expensive and require a 0-10v wall dimmer.

I'm not sure if this one is powerful enough, and I'm not sure about how dimming is controlled, but here's something:

http://www.newark.com/roal-electronics/rld...iver/dp/69R7347

$37

Let's try to keep it around $50 or less.

Finally, does anyone know of any multichannel drivers out there that one could attach separate pots to? Probably a bit more expensive than $50, but worth it if there are any. I know there are some for RGB type setups, but I don't know it the power is out there that we need for our "3Watt" LEDs.

FYI, Philips/Advance makes the Xitanium drivers. It's not under a Luxeon brand (both owned by Philips though)

The Roal driver isn't going to be of much use with only 16v output (about 4 LEDs with 3.7v average forward voltage)

Most of the multi channel drivers are DMX controlled, like the Quadpuck that jfarabaugh linked. Anything more powerful than that driver, and it gets spendy fast.

There are alternatives to the Meanwell ELN drivers coming to market in the very near future that will simplify life.

Mr. Microscope
FYI, Philips/Advance makes the Xitanium drivers. It's not under a Luxeon brand (both owned by Philips though)

D'oh! Thanks!

There are alternatives to the Meanwell ELN drivers coming to market in the very near future that will simplify life.

Really? Who makes them?

I am thinking it's going to be someone near and dear to our hearts...and minds...

WOW!!! I didn't know Rush Limbaugh was an LED manufacturer!

*runs like hell*

WOW!!! I didn't know Rush Limbaugh was an LED manufacturer!

He was obviously talking about Al Gore. This was his next project after inventing the internets.

If you're already using 4 drivers the extra effort for the dimming supply is minimal. You only need one for all 4 pots.

I juist ordered a couple of these fom a german supplier.

(The 700mA 32W version)

20090429025272.jpg

I paid €25 a pop just to later find out that they're offered for $11 on alibaba :wacko:

Mr. Microscope
I juist ordered a couple of these fom a german supplier.

(The 700mA 32W version)

I paid €25 a pop just to later find out that they're offered for $11 on alibaba :wacko:

Cool. Good price, but it says minimum 50 order.

How does dimming take place on that? Is it similar to the Meanwells where you can plug it directly into the wall without an additional power supply, but need an additional power supply for dimming? Or is it self regulated with the ability to hook up a pot directly to it?

EDIT: oh, wait. I see it says, "Dimmer type: 0-10V." I'm guessing it's similar to the Meanwell. It'd be great if we could actually find them for $11 though.

Mr. Microscope
Anyone know of a good source of knobs for the buck puck pots?

I just google "potentiometer knob" in the shopping option. You'll get tons of cool hits. I like the gold ones. Just make sure that the inside diameter matches the pot you have.

I look eagerly forward to the day when someone comes up with a plug-n-play 0-10v that behaves just like the RKL's ALC module---- a programmable gradual ramping of voltage for a nice dusk/dawn effect.

hmmmmm.... maybe I need to start making some sweet custom knobs from exotic hardwoods on my lathe :D :D :D in fact I have a few I need to make for my upcoming canopy.

Archived