ReefCleaners.org

Dimmable screw-in LED bulb

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

Hi All,

'Found this today.

LED%20RetroFit%20Product_PAR20%209ba33357-6005-47ed-a8c7-909e8dc97a57.jpg?maxwidth=273

The company claims that it's dimmable up to 10%. I'm guessing they mean in a standard dimmer switch, however there is a asterix after the 10%*, and no explaination for what that means. Maybe a pipedream. Ugly color temp of 3000K, but maybe we could go in there and swap out the LED. It's a PAR20 with one eight watt LED (from what I can tell). Sells for about $27 at Lowes . They also make a PAR38, 30 and MR16, claiming they all are dimmable.

Wuduhyuhthink?

Yup government deemed them competitive for the market at the higher price point due to 40000+ hrs of life. was looking at getting some LED r30's for my kitchen but they use the same energy as my current r30 spirals. they only offer longer life. So I passed... and they where $64 and I'd need 15. I actually liked the demo colored ones in the 3100k range, 2700 is ok, but for a modern kitchen higher ratings like 3500k would be ideal.

Yep, just a standard triac dimmer. There is a list of known approved dimmers in the datasheet.

If $27 isn't too much for you, get it and pull it apart. You may not be able to easily change out the LEDs though, as they most likely use Sylvania/Osram LEDs, which aren't always the easiest to get, depending on the model.

evilc66, will your par38 bulbs have the ability to be dimmed in the future? I am contemplating which route to take on my led build.

We are trying to integrate that feature, but it's not so easy.

Mr. Microscope

Cool! That would change the game a bit. I'll bet you'd sell twice as many if they were dimmable. Good luck. Can't wait to see the Evil66 PAR38"D".

Yeah that would really be a determining factor for me. I am torn between starting a diy build or using par38 bulbs. Nothing easier than screwing in an led bulb and being done with it.

Archived