Coral Vue Hydros

Slide or Touch Potentiometers

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

Hi All,

I was shopping around for the right potentiometer knob and stumbled across, "slide potentiometers", and, "touch potentiometers." Looks like it might be an interesting alternative to the regular turning pots. Has anyone used these on their build?

Reminds me of when I used to spin records in warehouses and basements. I have an old mixer I could salvage slide pots and regular ones from. Hmm...

Hi!

i thought about sliders but turning pots are easier to mount unto a surface, imho a slider is also more prone to erratic control and crap getting into it.

just my 2 Canadian cents ;-)

edit: what is sexy is the touch sensing controllers you are seeing on white goods, they work by sensing the capacitance of your body, of course we would have to build a controller based on a 8 or 32bit micro with integrated pwm, but imagine a dedicated part of your hood say 1 inch by 3 inch where you could run your finger on it and the lights dim ;-)

Mr. Microscope

+1 to getting crap stuck in the slider as being a minus. That would happen in my mixer sometimes. However, I used it A LOT. I think if the slider was mounted on the side of the light, dust and contamination would be at a minimum.

i plan on using slide for my next build, it seems much easier to judge, o well i am at 50% now rather than turning the knob

That would be a nice bonus. I was also looking at these for that same reason.

Archived