inTank Media Baskets

Hornet prices really falling

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

No, I'm not working for anyone. I just want affordable zoas. Check out baycorals. They've dropped their prices on the insanely priced polyps. Purple Hornets and Rastas for $20, and Red Hornets for $30.

Slowly but surely.....

What's happening is the individual aquarists are starting to propagate these uncommon Zoas and sell them on their own at swaps. So, the price is starting to come down. Still, I warn people that it's risky buying single zoanthids and really wish they wouldn't be sold this way.

Wasn't too long ago that Eagle Eyes and Watermelons commanded high prices, but in my area so many people have them that you can't give them away. The only thing that will keep zoa prices high long term is if it's a slow grower.

Mr. Microscope
Wasn't too long ago that Eagle Eyes and Watermelons commanded high prices, but in my area so many people have them that you can't give them away.

Really!? When was that? I saw a big rock at the local PetCo (lame) that was covered WW's and RDE's for like $40.

Eagle Eyes and Radioactive Dragon Eyes were some of the first named zoa's to float around and commanded high prices. They were pretty much the New Kids on the Block paving the way for the Backstreet Boys.

Mr. Microscope
quick question about this.. where do purple deaths rate in terms of demand?

Some people want to add a little purple. They still fetch a decent price. $10-$20 for a small frag. Some pay more.

quick question about this.. where do purple deaths rate in terms of demand?

I'd rate them as extremely high in terms of demand, but they are in that stage where they are starting to grow out by the people that bought them 6-months to a year ago and being sold regularly at swap meets for reasonable prices. Online sellers still have them priced high though because demand is high. Once the solo aquarists start trading them more commonly is when you see the retailers start to cut their prices.

Red hornets are pretty insane right now because they haven't caught up on either side of the curve. Blues and purples are bad enough.

PD's are one that I've been trying to get for awhile, and if you're in the right place at the right time you can get them pretty cheap. Problem is I haven't been at that place. :P

Mr. Microscope
Are Red People Eaters worth 10 bucks per polyp?

Maybe True Red People Eaters, but maybe not the normal ones. It also depends on how nice they look. If they've been under crappy lights and are all faded, I'd maybe pay $20 for a large frag (10 polyps). However, if they look like they're going to jump out and eat you with super neon mouths on a cherry-red polyp, well I'd pay $10/polyp. So, yes? Actually, True Reds go for more.

Solarflare8806

another thing that i think might make red people eaters more expensive is the fact that they have alternating colors on their skirt. one is bright red the other is a darker maroonish. I got a nice one with about 5 polyps and it was a $25 frag from my lfs.

there are other zoas that have alternating skirts like hornets, i guess that is one of the reasons for price hike.

Well when red Hornets get down to $2 per polyp I wonder what is gonna take their place as 'impossible must have to die for coral'

Mr. Microscope
Well when red Hornets get down to $2 per polyp I wonder what is gonna take their place as 'impossible must have to die for coral'

Knockouts! Probably the coolest zoas I've seen. The entire polyp is deer-hunter neon orange. You can see one polyp from across the room.

Mr. Microscope

That pic doesn't do them justice. Looks about a tenth as cool as they do live under the right lighting.

And, yes. Incredibly badass!

Mr. Microscope
+1^ Just like whammin watermelons their not rare but still pretty cool!

+1. I love my Whammin' Watermelons. (sounds like a t-shirt :lol: )

I just scored some Purple Death frags after finding the right local forum. Traded a bunch of my watermelon zoas for a plug with five PDs on it, and picking up another tomorrow with 15 polyps on it for cheap. All local guys.

So, it's hobbiests to the resuce and keeping prices down. Average prices for one or two PD (shipped) was $60-80. A frikken joke for a paly that spreads like crazy.

Scary thought: Imagine for a second if we *didn't* have hobbiests trading and selling frags and keeping prices down. A local dealer I was talking to has described the commercial side of the industry like a frikken cartel and is begging for less common frags of pretty much anything because he can only get what they give him.

I dont see what the whole buzz is over Hornets. They are mediocre looking to me. I wouldnt throw them out, but I also wouldnt pay more than a few dollars for one. Id much rather have a candy apple red, or Aztec Sundial...Much prettier!

Hornets look to be a cheapo coral with a thin ring in the middle..

Good to see that if I happened upon one, I could easily trade for something I really like!

Matt

Another tip is to find the guy who's dumping out because his GF is giving him dirty looks to dowsize the tank. You can get some really killer deals that way. :lol:

This is why I have a small tank, guys. Has a very high SAF (spousal approval factor).

I just ordered some Acans from Mr. Coral, and they are also next to impossible to find in my neck of the woods. However, I refuse to buy a single Zoa or Paly polyp. It's just too risky for one to die during shipping and I really wish they wouldn't sell them that way.

Archived