Top Shelf Aquatics

Designer SPS scientific naming thread!

kthehun89

I've been thinking about this for a long while, but I'd like to compile a list of the specific scientific names of designer SPS, like ORA and Tyree corals. For example, I can tell you that the ORA Blue Tort is an A. tortuosa and the Tri-color is an a. valida.

Most things are listed as an acropora sp., which is a general classification. The goal of this thread is to figure out the "sp." of these acros and other SPS. So please, don't post something as "Acropora Sp." as this doesnt help us out to much ;)

So, please if you can shed light on the true name of these corals, please post. Hopefully, we can get pictures for each with the designer names and the scientific.

let me start

ORA Tri-color Valida, acropora valida

DSC_0006-6.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ORA Bird of Pardise is a Seriotopora sp.

orabop.jpg

My favorite "designer" red acro is the Red Dragon. I don't know the scientific name, but I do know it's a smooth skinned deep water acro. Just tonight there was a dude on RC that sold 2 / 1" frags for $300 each!

reddragon2.jpg

The ORA Bird of Pardise is a Seriotopora sp.

orabop.jpg

My favorite "designer" red acro is the Red Dragon. I don't know the scientific name, but I do know it's a smooth skinned deep water acro. Just tonight there was a dude on RC that sold 2 / 1" frags for $300 each!

reddragon2.jpg

thanks basser! I'd like to find out the sp. part of each of these...I did dig up that the ORA Bird or Paradise is a seriatopora caliendrum

and I just learned about the red dragon! amazing!!!

thanks basser! I'd like to find out the sp. part of each of these...I did dig up that the ORA Bird or Paradise is a seriatopora caliendrum

Thanks! Good to know! ;)

I like the Spiny cup coral. Pectinia sp. Not sure what the sp. stands for :lol: I couldn't find it and I suck with scientific names.

p-83496-Neon-Green-Pectini.jpg

I also like Rainbow, Superman, and Sunset monti. Montipora danae.

rainbowmonti.jpg

Bruddah%20Superman-2.jpg

sunsetmontitopdownsmall.jpg

And I like Hollywood Stunner Chalice. Echinopora lamellosa.

hollywoodstunnerchal.jpg

THANKS SO MUCH GUYS!!! lets keep this going!!!

and firefishbrain, I love that website and I have recommended it to allot, but the tool doesnt work fully! I need to email them and let them know. thanks for posting it!

and the sp. part is what we are trying to figure out. most places have them listed as Acropora sp. or montipora sp. which just means species I guess. pretty broad generalization

wait, the Acro ID WORKS!?! I guess the link to the tool I had was an old one. THANKS SO MUCH!

squirrelieygrrrl

nice.

now were getting some where!

just a thought, if any of you find out the specie name for some thing youve posted try to edit your post with the pic so we can keep the continuity going.

squirrelieygrrrl

the screamin green birds nest. rather common offering but still pretty if you ask me, def one of my favs.

Seriatopora guttatus

birdsnestedit-1.jpg

and the sp. part is what we are trying to figure out. most places have them listed as Acropora sp. or montipora sp. which just means species I guess. pretty broad generalization

I found out what sp. stands for! omgomgomg

drum roll..............................

spathulata

Found it out of reef builders.

Acropora spathulata, an endemic Australian stony coral which greatly resembles A. millipora. (Carlos Sanchez)
Any proof of this?

while it'd be hard to prove it, it is very easy to disprove that it means spathulata. Too many things that are clearly other acropora species are listed as sp...

Archived